Dress Uniform -Why still using the M1/M14

mmarsh

I have a question:

Why do US soldiers, Marines etc still use the M1/M14 in full dress ceremonies? (Funerals, inaugartions, celebrations, parades, guarding sacred sites, etc...). I know its all pomp and circumstance but look at other armies in Full Dress they always carry their standard weapons. For example the Guardsman at Buckingham all carry the L85s, the French Republican Guard at Bastille Day carries the FAMAS. But the US carries the antiques.

This is actually a pretty good question.
Maybe it has to do with when the M-16 was first introduced, it was considered too "futuristic" looking and therefore not suitable for ceremonies. Kind of like walking into a tie and suit restaurant with a pair of jeans and flip flops.

I think you will fine it is because it is a good solid rifle and when you bash the butt on the ground you know that all the bits of plastic wont fall

Definately has great drill movements to it.
We use in OZ, FN FAL's for our ceremonial occasions. Looks very snappy.
STYER drill is pretty embarrassing.

Have you seen Marines doing a drill demonstration?

Do you see them making such movements with a short weapon? Like an M4A1? or a bullpup design? They cant. It would change everything.

They need a heavy weapon, and a long one too. And the wood finish gives a little charm to the show.

I still wonder if every Marine can do that... Because it was just perfect, like Chinese gymnasts... Extremely accurate, and you see them throwing these rifles like if they were toothbrushes...

LeMask,
yes I have seen their drill and it is very impressive. Especially the silent Drill presentation.
I like the Netherlands Drill team and drum team above all. These guys are national servicemen? and do an outstanding job

Back