DREAD Weapon System

Whispering Death

Jesus Christ just read it.
http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_DREAD,,00.html?ESRC=recruiting.nl

As if you need few quotes

"it may just be the most revolutionary infantry weapon system concept that DefenseReview has EVER come across."

"Imagine a gun with no recoil, no sound, no heat, no gunpowder, no visible firing signature (muzzle flash), and no stoppages or jams of any kind. Now imagine that this gun could fire .308 caliber and .50 caliber metal projectiles accurately at up to 8,000 fps (feet-per-second), featured an infinitely variable/programmable cyclic rate-of-fire (as high as 120,000 rounds-per-minute [edit: holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!]), and were capable of laying down a 360-degree field of fire."

"Military Humvees (HMMV's) and other ground vehicles (including Chevy Suburbans) equipped with the DREAD will enjoy magazine capacities of at least 50,000 rounds of .308 Cal., or 10,000 rounds of .50 Cal. ammo."

"According to the DREAD Advantages Sheet, "unlike conventional weapons that deliver a bullet to the target in intervals of about 180 feet, the DREAD's rounds will arrive only 30 thousandths of an inch apart (1/32nd of an inch apart), thereby presenting substantially more mass to the target in much less time than previously possible."

Just one thing though, its said to produce no sound? doens't every projectile no matter how small it is produce a sound when their velocity exeeds the sound barrier :?

Re: DREAD

Whispering Death said:
featured an infinitely variable/programmable cyclic rate-of-fire (as high as 120,000 rounds-per-minute [edit: holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!]), and were capable of laying down a 360-degree field of fire."

"Military Humvees (HMMV's) and other ground vehicles (including Chevy Suburbans) equipped with the DREAD will enjoy magazine capacities of at least 50,000 rounds of .308 Cal., or 10,000 rounds of .50 Cal. ammo."

:shock:

But wouldn't the thing would overheat?

I think it uses magnetic fields to make it frictionless. I think what we have here is the precourser to the RAIL GUN!

Armyjaeger said:
Just one thing though, its said to produce no sound? doens't every projectile no matter how small it is produce a sound when their velocity exeeds the sound barrier :?

Yes, but the enemy would not hear the round coming because it's traveling faster than the sound it created when it broke the sound barrier.

This weapon system won't be realistic for the at least 10 - 20 years I think. At least it won't be in the Army's inventory for that long.

hicks said:
Armyjaeger said:

Yes, but the enemy would not hear the round coming because it's traveling faster than the sound it created when it broke the sound barrier.

This weapon system won't be realistic for the at least 10 - 20 years I think. At least it won't be in the Army's inventory for that long.

So if someone is standing beside him, he will hear the bang after that person was show and know where the enemy is?

I agree with Hicks that the weapon won't be realistic for a decade or two. I'd hate to imagine what could happen if insurgents got their dirty hands on this (and the user documentation :?) - perhaps this weapon would be so volatile (in terms of security and stuff) and expensive it wouldn't be deployed on the front for a long, long time?

AlexKall said:
So if someone is standing beside him, he will hear the bang after that person was show and know where the enemy is?

I don't think I understood the question.

But, I think I know what you are asking.

There's a saying that if you hear the rifle fire, and you have not already been hit, you have nothing to worry about.

Because the bullet would reach you before the sound of the powder exploding. Here's a rundown.

If you aimed at somebody directly in the head and then fired.... somebody standing next to you would hear the rifle almost instantly while somebody down range would not hear it at all because the round would strike and kill him first.

He would probably be laying on the ground by the time the sound got to his body depending on the distance.

AlexKall said:

Unless, of course, they too are hit by the 2,000 rounds a second ;)

It will be interesting to track the development of this technology, the article says they've already got it up and running, not just on paper. If they could get the F117 operational for Panama then we know the DREAD is well within the relm of possibility.

Whispering Death said:
AlexKall said:

Unless, of course, they too are hit by the 2,000 rounds a second ;)

It will be interesting to track the development of this technology, the article says they've already got it up and running, not just on paper. If they could get the F117 operational for Panama then we know the DREAD is well within the relm of possibility.

You have a point with those 2000 rounds :p

I know, but like they said, supposedly they've got one up and running shooting bullets at up to 3,000 feet per second. I believe the article said they're working on buidling the one capable of firing 8,000 fps now that they've secured funding after the amazing performance of the first one.

Back