DREAD Weapon System - Page 2

--

May 29th, 2005  
Tibs

I agree with Hicks that the weapon won't be realistic for a decade or two. I'd hate to imagine what could happen if insurgents got their dirty hands on this (and the user documentation ) - perhaps this weapon would be so volatile (in terms of security and stuff) and expensive it wouldn't be deployed on the front for a long, long time?
May 29th, 2005  
hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
So if someone is standing beside him, he will hear the bang after that person was show and know where the enemy is?
I don't think I understood the question.

But, I think I know what you are asking.

There's a saying that if you hear the rifle fire, and you have not already been hit, you have nothing to worry about.

Because the bullet would reach you before the sound of the powder exploding. Here's a rundown.

If you aimed at somebody directly in the head and then fired.... somebody standing next to you would hear the rifle almost instantly while somebody down range would not hear it at all because the round would strike and kill him first.

He would probably be laying on the ground by the time the sound got to his body depending on the distance.
May 29th, 2005  
Sea_Cadet

Dude I mean, I'm gonna buy it before the FED does, just so I can go on arampage. JK
--
May 29th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
So if someone is standing beside him, he will hear the bang after that person was show and know where the enemy is?
Unless, of course, they too are hit by the 2,000 rounds a second

It will be interesting to track the development of this technology, the article says they've already got it up and running, not just on paper. If they could get the F117 operational for Panama then we know the DREAD is well within the relm of possibility.
May 30th, 2005  
bushpig1998

Jowzers!

Make mine a 20mm API unit pls...
May 31st, 2005  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Quote:
Unless, of course, they too are hit by the 2,000 rounds a second

It will be interesting to track the development of this technology, the article says they've already got it up and running, not just on paper. If they could get the F117 operational for Panama then we know the DREAD is well within the relm of possibility.
You have a point with those 2000 rounds :P
May 31st, 2005  
FO Seaman

Very impressive, but is it possible?
May 31st, 2005  
Jäger

If it is possible I need it on my car, where can I buy it
June 1st, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger
If it is possible I need it on my car, where can I buy it
he he he, cooooome on 2nd ammendment
June 3rd, 2005  
Whispering Death

I know, but like they said, supposedly they've got one up and running shooting bullets at up to 3,000 feet per second. I believe the article said they're working on buidling the one capable of firing 8,000 fps now that they've secured funding after the amazing performance of the first one.