Dr Strangelove OR how i learned to stop worrying and love the bomb

rotc boy

I just went to go see that last night at a movie theatre...and i must say, friggin hilarious

best quote from the movie:
"And my advice to you is to give me the code now, and if those devils come back and try any rough stuff, we'll fight 'em together, boy, like we did just now, on the floor, eh? You with the old gun, and me with the belt and the ammo, feeding you -- 'Feed me' you said, and I was feeding you, Jack!"

When Slim Pickens started naming off all the stuff in the survival kit...chewing gum, nylons, ect. Thats my favorite part.

Anyone notice the man who played the bombedier? none other than darth vaders voice, james earl jones. classic...it was his first movie.

hey there! and lola....:rock:

A real classic.

I saw it when it had only just been released, and enjoyed it immensely. If I ever see a copy in the video store I'll certainly add it to my collection.

It would have only been half the movie without Slim Pickens.

I have the super duper collector addition on DVD.

My two all favorite scenes in the movie......

General "Buck" Turgidson: If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Colonel... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some change in there.
Colonel "Bat" Guano: That's private property.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Colonel! Can you possibly imagine what is going to happen to you, your frame, outlook, way of life, and everything, when they learn that you have obstructed a telephone call to the President of the United States? Can you imagine? Shoot it off! Shoot! With a gun! That's what the bullets are for, you twit!
Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

The Coca-Cola quote, and the quote when the President asks George C Scott if the B-52 survive.

Also:

Russian Ambassador:
"But the deciding factor was when we learned that your country was working along similar lines, and we were afraid of a doomsday gap."

American President: "This is preposterous. I've never approved of anything like that."
Russian Ambassdor: "Our source was the New York Times."

Re: Dr Strangelove OR how i learned.....

I agree with "deerslayer," my favorite quote from this movie is when the Soviet embassador and Gen. Buck Turgidson were fighting and President said that famous quote, "gentlemen I am shocked, there will be no fighting here gentlemen, in the War Room!"

I saw it when it had only just been released, and enjoyed it immensely. If I ever see a copy in the video store I'll certainly add it to my collection.
Sounds like you are around my age (I am 65yo), I remember seeing it shortly after it came out also.
One thing I learned was the percentage of people who go to the movies and just watch the movie and not think about is being said, virtually dead above the shoulders. When Dr. Strangelove 'accidentally' called the president "Mein Fuhrer," the first time, my brother (who were among the few who laughed our head's off) while people around us looked at us wondering what we were laughing at. Finally, when Dr. Strangelove said, "Mein Fuhrer.... I can walk!" I roared with laughter again and only a few more people found the humor in that statement, the majority of the people in the theater missed many of the jokes.

Quote:
General "Buck" Turgidson: If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!
To me this was truly one of the finest scenes in the movie.

I have the video tape of the movie, I got it as a Christmas present two or three tears ago.

Peter Sellers was great, he portrayed three characters: U.S. President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove and Group Captain Lionel Mandrake of the RAF in the film, one of the great acting achievements.

Frightening though, because like all good comedy the paranoia has a ring of truth to it, which hasn't fully died out as I recently discovered!

Ripper: I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Ripper's paranoia about water fluoridation is based on a conspiracy theory by the John Birch Society, which was prominent in conservative politics in the early 1960s

Back