Dr Strangelove OR how i learned to stop worrying and love the bomb - Page 2

--

November 11th, 2009  
Regulator795

I have never seen this movie, but based on those quotes, I'm definitely going to add it to my Netflix list.
November 11th, 2009  
AVON

Topic: Re: Dr Strangelove OR how i learned.....

I agree with "deerslayer," my favorite quote from this movie is when the Soviet embassador and Gen. Buck Turgidson were fighting and President said that famous quote, "gentlemen I am shocked, there will be no fighting here gentlemen, in the War Room!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
I saw it when it had only just been released, and enjoyed it immensely. If I ever see a copy in the video store I'll certainly add it to my collection.
Sounds like you are around my age (I am 65yo), I remember seeing it shortly after it came out also.
One thing I learned was the percentage of people who go to the movies and just watch the movie and not think about is being said, virtually dead above the shoulders. When Dr. Strangelove 'accidentally' called the president "Mein Fuhrer," the first time, my brother (who were among the few who laughed our head's off) while people around us looked at us wondering what we were laughing at. Finally, when Dr. Strangelove said, "Mein Fuhrer.... I can walk!" I roared with laughter again and only a few more people found the humor in that statement, the majority of the people in the theater missed many of the jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
Quote:
General "Buck" Turgidson: If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!
To me this was truly one of the finest scenes in the movie.

I have the video tape of the movie, I got it as a Christmas present two or three tears ago.
November 21st, 2009  
perseus

Peter Sellers was great, he portrayed three characters: U.S. President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove and Group Captain Lionel Mandrake of the RAF in the film, one of the great acting achievements.

Frightening though, because like all good comedy the paranoia has a ring of truth to it, which hasn't fully died out as I recently discovered!

Quote:
Ripper: I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
Ripper's paranoia about water fluoridation is based on a conspiracy theory by the John Birch Society, which was prominent in conservative politics in the early 1960s
--