DPRK Battle Plan

--

February 3rd, 2007  
bulldogg

Topic: DPRK Battle Plan

Quote:
North Korea's war plan in case of an US attack is total war, not the 'low-intensity limited warfare' or 'regional conflict' talked about among the Western analysts. North Korea will mount a total war if attacked by the US. There are three aspects to this war plan.

First, total war is North Korea's avowed strategy in case of US preemptive attacks. The US war on Iraq shows that the US can and will mount preemptive strikes in clear violation of international laws, and the United Nations is powerless to stop the US. Any nation that is weak militarily may be attacked by the US at will. It is reasonable for North Korea to deter US attacks with threats of total war.

Second, North Korea expects no help from China, Russia, or other nations in case of war with the US. It knows that it will be fighting the superpower alone. Nominally, China and Russia are North Korea's allies but neither ally is expected to provide any assistance to North Korea in case of war. Neither nation can or is willing to protect North Korea from attacks by the US, and North Korea alone can and will protect itself from US attacks. This principle of self-defense applies to all nations.

Third, North Korea's total war plan has two components: massive conventional warfare and weapons of mass destruction. If the US mounts a preemptive strike on North Korea's Yongbyon nuclear plants, North Korea will retaliate with weapons of mass destruction: North Korea will mount strategic nuclear attacks on the US targets. The US war planners know this and have drawn up their own nuclear war plan. In a nuclear exchange, there is no front or rear areas, no defensive positions or attack formations as in conventional warfare. Nuclear weapons are offensive weapons and there is no defense against nuclear attacks except retaliatory nuclear attacks. For this reason, North Korea's war plan is offensive in nature: North Korea's war plan goes beyond repulsing US attackers and calls for destruction of the United States.
Quote:
North Korea is mountainous and its coasts are long and jagged. The Korean peninsula is narrow on its waste. North Korea's weapons and war tactics are germane to Korea's unique geography. North Korea has developed its own war plans unique to fighting the US in a unique way. North Korea's military is organized into several independent, totally integrated and self-sufficient fighting units, that are ready for action at any time.
Quote:
A North Korean infantry division has 3 infantry regiments, 1 artillery regiment (3 battalions of 122 mm rocket launchers and 1 battalion of 152 mortars), one tank battalion of 31 tanks, one anti-tank battalion, one anti-aircraft battalion, one engineer battalion, one communication battalion, one light-infantry battalion, one recon battalion, and one chemical warfare battalion.
Quote:
North Korea has 4 mechanized corps and 24 mechanized brigades. Each brigade has 1 tank battalion (31 tanks), 1 armored battalion (46 armored cars), 4 infantry battalions, one 122mm battalion (18 guns), one 152 mm battalion (18 guns), one anti-aircraft battalion (18 guns), anti-tank battalion (9 armored cars with anti-tank missiles and 12 anti-tank guns), one armored recon company (3 light armored cars, 7 armored cars, and 8 motor-cycles), one mortar company (6 mortars), one engineer company, one chemical company, and one communication company.
Quote:
North Korea is the world most-tunneled nation. North Korea's expertise in digging tunnels for warfare was demonstrated during the Vietnam War. North Korea sent about 100 tunnel warfare experts to Vietnam to help dig the 250 km tunnels for the North Vietnamese and Viet Gong troops in South Vietnam. The tunnels were instrumental in the Vietnamese victory.

North Korea's army runs on company-size units. Tunnel warfare is conducted by independent company-size units. Tunnel entrances are built to withstand US chemical and biological attacks. Tunnels run zig-zag and have seals, air-purification units, and safe places for the troops to rest. It is believed that North Korea has built about 20 large tunnels near the DMZ. A large tunnel can transport 15,000 troops per hour across the DMZ and place them behind the US troops.
These are just a couple sections from this site...
http://www.rense.com/general37/nkorr.htm

It makes for an interesting read.

I did not know they had such a vast arsenal at their command as this paper lays out. They are a massive threat.
February 3rd, 2007  
weed

Thanks for posting the link, it was quite an informative paper. Pretty simple strategy actually, offense is the best defense.
February 4th, 2007  
bulldogg

Did anyone else notice the writer may have a lot of history and facts on the TOE but his knowledge of combat tactics is minimal at best. Particularly take a look at his analysis of the hypothetical air war over Korea... I'm trying to dig up some bio on the author but am drawing a blank so far.
--
February 4th, 2007  
ASTRALdragon

Thanks for the very interesting read, bulldogg. It's great to know your enemy. One gripe though, the author seems to downplay American military power. It seems that he has a counter for every American weapon/idea out there. While some or most may be true, I doubt that the American military will constantly deal out scissors while the North Koreans dish out hammers.
February 4th, 2007  
bulldogg

That's why I'm trying to dig up who this person is so I can see some mor of what they've written. I want to know the motivation behind writing it. My gut tells me the author at a minimum doesn't like Uncle Sam and at most is a Kim Jong Il fan.
February 4th, 2007  
senojekips

North Korea's biggest bargaining chip is the fact that if attacked, they have stated on numerous occasions that they will level Seoul in the first few hours, and I strongly believe that they would give it their best shot. If they used their nuclear capability they could do it in minutes and once again I believe that they would do it if the need arose. So they have created what amounts to a stalemate.
February 4th, 2007  
major liability

They do understand that if they nuke the US, there will no longer be a piece of habitable land known as North Korea, don't they?
February 4th, 2007  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by major liability
They do understand that if they nuke the US, there will no longer be a piece of habitable land known as North Korea, don't they?
Yes but then its highly likely that if that happened there would not be a South Korea, South East China or Japan which would escalate things to less than desirable levels.
February 4th, 2007  
senojekips

^^^Exactly

I don't think there is much worry about them attacking the US. They are using South Korea as a hostage to ensure that the US won't attack them.

It would be viewed very poorly by the rest of the world if the US were to sacrifice South Korea to achieve their ends in the North, which is essentially what they would have to do.
February 4th, 2007  
Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
North Korea's biggest bargaining chip is the fact that if attacked, they have stated on numerous occasions that they will level Seoul in the first few hours, and I strongly believe that they would give it their best shot. If they used their nuclear capability they could do it in minutes and once again I believe that they would do it if the need arose. So they have created what amounts to a stalemate.
The South Korean Capital was supposed to be moved years ago, but sadly the South Koreans never got around to it, so now there is not much which can be done to protect the Millions of South Koreans who live in Seoul, or, as the US Military has already stated, get them out of Seoul should the crap hit the fan.

Seoul, or rather the very, very large city which serves as the South Korean Captial still being danger close to the DMZ is the fault of the South Koreans, not the North Koreans, nor should it be the problem of the United States of America, but sadly it is.