Downed pilot scenario

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
Thought it was interesting but also getting off topic so I decided to start a new thread about Lunatik's scenario:

"Imagine you're a downed pilot armed only with a pistol with one standard mag. You have one cantine full of water, a small med kit, a couple of high-energy bars, an analog compass but no map and no communications device. You estimate you are at least 500 miles away from the closest friendly unit. You don't know exactly where you landed, but you know the enemy knows they successfully shot you down and are closing in on you. You know that a rescue attempt is unlikely without knowing your exact location or whether you're alive or not."

I'll add a few details to this.
The type of conflict we are looking at here is more like a conventional war where your side has only been providing air support for the friendly country. There are friendly lines and enemy lines and there are at least a million men on each side slugging it out.
Ethnically you do not look anything like the locals of that country you have been shot down in and you do not speak their language.

So, what would you do?

Thanks 13th, good idea to start a new thread on this. You forgot to add the parachute descent picture for dramatization purposes though. :)

300px-MARSOC_parachutist.jpg

Here's what's going to heppen...

Ok, so I just landed. I immediately dig a few holes here and there and bury my parachute, harness, helmet, etc. so that they won't be able to tell where exactly I landed at least for some time, and won't be able to track me as effectively since the dogs won't have anything to sniff and follow my smell. With some luck, it'll also rain. This'd definitely buy me some more time. I drink some of my water and with the help of my compass figure out the general direction of the closest friendly units. I start walking/running in that direction. I use the tree lines, waterlines/rivers, valleys, shadows, etc. I avoid roads or trails where people can see me. My priority is to find a small village! Whenever I see an isolated search group, I lay low or hide or bury myself into bushes, etc until they're gone far enough for me to continue walking. I come to a village. It's night time now. I have my gun. I pick the house that's furthest away from all the rest of the houses in the village. Without making any noise, I walk to a window and look inside. A small family of 2 parents and 2 little kids are eating dinner. I go around the house and find the main electrical switch, and pull it down. This leaves the family in darkness. The man looks out the window and sees there's electricity in the rest of the village. He gets out to figure out what's wrong. His wife and children are still inside. The man walks toward the electrical box. Using the darkness of the night and the lack of electricity to my advantage, I sneak behind him and carefully knock him down with a swift hit on his hypothalamus. I quickly strip him and also take off my own flight suit. Great, I am now looking like a local villager at least from some distance. I know I have only about 10-15 minutes before his hypothalamus recovers, so I must be quick. I go inside and pull out my gun. Everyone around the world knows what a gun can do, and everyone's scared of it. I tell the family to be quiet by bringing my index finger to my lips and saying hush. It's a globally recognized body language. The woman looks terrified, takes her children under her arms and sits on a couch. Using some clothes, rope and/or wires, I tie her. Children are crying laudly at this moment, but children cry all the time and people usually assume it's no big deal. After the mother, I also tie the 2 small children and tape their mouths. I go outside and carry the man back inside. Tie and tape him as well. I also blindfold them all just as a precaution. I go to the kitchen and get a knife and a plastic bag. I put some more spare clothes in the plastic bag. I throw my flight suit into their burning stove. I look for a map too but can't find one. I lock the door from the inside and leave from a back window. I disappear into the total darkness of a nearby pine forest.

I walk as far as possible before sunrise.

To be continued... :)

Well from this scenario you sound pretty f****d. Really, I'd say sit tight, have a smoke, have a feed and wait to get detained. Once you are taken as a POW you can start to consider escape correctly.

Personally, the moment I knew for sure that I'm going to get captured, I'd shoot myself. I have no intent to share tcritical intelligence with the enemy and I'm not going to spend the rest of my life getting tortured or best-case scenario picking up cotton or hashish in a prison farm. We're all going to die. Heck, I could die tomorrow in a traffic accident. How many people get to have the insane pleasure of putting a gun to their head and pulling the trigger? Not so many. And I like elite clubs. :)

How many people get to have the insane pleasure of putting a gun to their head and pulling the trigger? Not so many. And I like elite clubs. :)

You're slightly messed up. One of the major differences (and, to some, one of our weaknesses) between us and our enemies in the GWOT is that we value life, where they do not. I'll be completely honest and say that I'd rather lose some classified information than serve with a bunch of suicide-crazed yahoos in a combat environment.

In a true war with a true enemy, some classified information wouldn't be the only thing you lose if captured as a POW. You're in their country to kill them, they know that. They tend to think that you have no human value or rights and that it's their God given right to do with you whatever they want. With suicide, I don't only save years or imprisonment and torture, I also save classified information and possibly the lives of my own fellow countrymen. In a way, by not getting captured, I become a martyr and a hero.

I think it is 'messed up' not to suicide, and cause yourself and likely also your own people so much more pain and suffering. When done right, suicide is painless. And in this case it serves the very cause you're fighting for. You already knew before you joined the military and entered the war that you could get killed. And now it's your time.

Lunatik, you forgot that you are ethnically nothing like the locals and you do not speak their language.

Have you ever tried digging a hole big enough to fit a parachute before? Those patrol assh*les will be onto you in no time. They've probably commandeered a civilian vehicle if they don't have one of their own. But let's assume that you were lucky enough I'll tell you the other side of the story.

The MP Sergeant guarding the bridge realized that the AA gun guys had downed a NATO aircraft and could still see the smoke trail in the sky. Those bastards with the 30mm had done it... and he had thought that it was just ornamental. The MP Sergeant knew they had to get to that pilot fast, there was a cash reward of USD60,000 for any group that managed to capture a downed pilot alive.
The Sergeant whistled and put up four fingers. He'd need four men to come along with him and keep the rest of his 12 man squad behind to secure the bridge. He entrusted that duty to the Corporal who had a hard face formed by growing up in a fishing town, spending many years on trawlers.
He ran over to the communications hut where there was a sedan the Lieutenant in charge of activities on the bridge used (commandeered from some unfortunate soul a month back). He grabbed the keys without even asking and ran towards the spray painted civilian car. "GET IN!" he shouted.
The LT was on him. "What the hell are you doing?"
"The AA guys got the NATO plane, look!" He pointed at the sky, the smoke trail was fast dissapating.
"I'm coming with you!" The LT ran back to grab his carbine and was back in time when the Sergeant got the engine running. "Let's go!" One of the Privates who had to stay was relieved. He had seen one of those American movies about chasing down downed pilots. It seemed pretty dangerous.

The roads in the countryside and the ride was a little bumpy but they made good progress as the Sergeant kept one eye on the sky and the other on the road. Good thing there wasn't hardly any wind today, something he had been cursing on all the other days because of the heat. Soon the smoke trail got thicker and it was the end of the road in the right direction. He killed the engine. They ran in the direction of the crash.
"STOP!" the Sergeant breathed sharply. He trained his ear towards the forest.
"I just heard a snapping twig," said one of the Privates who came along. Just then the Sergeant realized that the new boy was a hunter. He was good at these things. "In that direction."
The Lieutenant smiled. "Let's get him then."

After hours of searching it was getting really dark. The Lieutenant called back to the bridge and told the senior NCO on duty that they would have to spend the night outside to catch up with this NATO pilot.

In the darkness the search party came to a village nearby. They knew where it was because they visited for hot baths every now and then.
Something wasn't quite right. Lights were on in one of the houses when it was clearly lights out at this time. The Sergeant walked up to the door and knocked. No response. He knocked again and listened closely. It sounded like someone was trying to struggle. He kicked the door open and the search party began to investigate. In the kitchen was a family tied up, the man half naked.
"The pilot," the Lieutenant cursed.
The two Privates in the group started untying the family. The father first, to get information.
"It was an enemy soldier," the man said.
"How many?" the Lieutenant asked.
"Just one."
"Did he take your clothes?"
"Yes, he's now wearing a gray t-shirt and a pair of jeans."
"But he did not take your shoes," the officer noticed.
"Yes. His shoes were black."
The family was untied but there were still some things that required asking.
"We're going to have to ask the villagers if they saw anyone walking out of the village at night," the officer told the Sergeant. He agreed.
The Sergeant could see the children were seriously shaken by what had happened. He turned to the man. "Sir, we will require some food, coffee, and if possible bicycles if you can spare them."
"Certainly."
Fifteen minutes later, the search party on a caffeine high rode into the forest on their bicycles in search of the NATO airman that had the nerve to screw up the villagers.
If only we had a dog with us, the officer in the group thought.

5-man search party, you've got at a minimum 30 rounds of ammunition, and they don't know where you are. It's not suicide time yet :p

Not yet ;)
But now they have food, coffee and bicycles.
But they have no dog, they are small in number and who knows, you might be able to pull this off. But remember your little pilot does not know this.

Lights were on when your people got to the village? Dammit, I knew I had forgotten something!

Very nice, 13th. Looks like maybe we can co-author a really good thriller. :)

I'm hoping to continue my run with some twists later tonight. :m1:

Surely you would look for a secure vantage point close by the wreckage where you could see any searching enemy and rescue attempts and pretty much just sit tight (since they apparently aren't using dogs to find you).

Any investigation by your own side as to whether you are alive or not would be done by locating the wreckage, there is bugger all chance that you are going to cover 500 miles to friendly lines with no support so staying as close to the wreckage as possible and living off the land strikes me as the most obvious answer, at least until you are sure there is no chance of a friendly rescue.

Last edited:
You're slightly messed up. One of the major differences (and, to some, one of our weaknesses) between us and our enemies in the GWOT is that we value life, where they do not. I'll be completely honest and say that I'd rather lose some classified information than serve with a bunch of suicide-crazed yahoos in a combat environment.

I understand what you're saying about how a difference between us and our enemies is that we value life and they do not, but I think if I were caught in a situation like that, I would be willing to sacrifice myself for that classified information. I believe that the troops have that responsibility to put their country before themselves in those situations.

But on the other hand, I would definitely not just kill myself the minute I found out I was going to be captured. I would rather go down with a fight. I think I would only kill myself as a last resort. I don't think capture is an option though.

That's my point more than "suicide is bad" - just that we shouldn't be issuing our pilots single-shot pistols for "in case of crash".

That's my point more than "suicide is bad" - just that we shouldn't be issuing our pilots single-shot pistols for "in case of crash".

It's not "in case of crash."
It's called "in the event of imminent capture."
I've been explaining that part for a long time now. Or do you have a hard time telling the difference?

Post #30 (http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/first-female-operational-combat-ready-page3-t65592.html ) is still best option (IMHO), than deal with things as they open up on the ground.

As for killing yourself, why do that if you assume your going to die anyway, why not take their folks out, than you can use their weapons they bring to you. No spaz monsters allowed.

Works unless you get wounded and they capture you and patch you up for questioning.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on if you believe your a worthless piece of poop or if you feel you could get out of the scenario your in.

Well if they're really going to grab me and these guys don't respect none of the rules of warfare and it doesn't look like our side will win the war in 2 days time, yeah it's time to pull the trigger.
Nothing demoralizes the bastards like hunting me down for days just for me to bust a cap in my own ass right in front of their eyes.

Meanwhile I'm still smoking my smokes and probably warming up a cup of tea waiting for the search party. Remember the scenario said it was a large scale conventional war and you are 500 miles, that's 500! from the front.

What, are you going to walk the 500 miles. Hope the locals don't notice you, through the massive rear echelon areas with all the security that it entails, to the front line and through the fighting to your own troops. Rubbish.

Once you are in captivity you have time and lots of it. I'd rather take 6 months to configure an escape plan whilst kicking around a POW camp then do a half assed run with no plan, direction or support.

Hopefully, find a vehicle or horse to borrow and off to the proper direction. I'd also look for some civilian clothing that someone might have left in their yard to hang dry and dress in local threads.

But seriously if you're 500 miles behind enemy lines... if they don't find you within a week they'll probably just give up. After all they have higher priorities than you. If they're reasonable dudes, I'll get captured, if they're Al Qaeda or like the Japanese in World War II, I'll just terminally end myself if escape is impossible. I'll still try to make a good effort not to get caught, if anything just to amuse myself. Don't think they're going to be any nicer or worse just because they had a hard time finding me (not my fault you guys suck!).
Most likely I'll sit it out, try not to get captured, and hope I don't miss the news when the war ends.
Last thing I want is to ride around in a stolen vehicle.
Also it's funny that everyone keeps assuming that the enemy will look just like them. Try wearing civilian clothes in North Korea. Yeah like that'll work.
Not to mention, the last place I'd ever want to go while shot down is a VILLAGE. Eyewitnesses, barking dogs... woo. Fun!
Walking towards the front lines = idiotic.

Last edited:
Back