Doubt about Landis tests

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,,2-9-32_1980106,00.html

Pretoria - Controversial Tour de France winner Floyd Landis may still be found innocent on charges of using illegal substances.
Phil Liggett, a well-known cycling commentator, has pointed out that the legal team representing Landis have never lost a case in which an athlete was accused of having testosterone levels that were too high.
"Of course I want Landis to be innocent, but if it is proved that he did take illegal substances he should be banned from cycling," said Liggett on Tuesday.
"There is no place in cycling, in any sport, for cheats."
However, Liggett is sceptical about the tests done on the American.
They were done by the same French laboratory that tried to prove that Lance Armstrong had used an illegal substance in 1999. Armstrong won the resulting court case.
"The way the tests were handled and the information that was leaked to the New York Times make me wonder whether everything was done according to the rules," said Liggett.
Medical experts differ
An English doctor had told him that the high levels of testosterone in Landis's body may well be natural.
"But then, a doctor rang me from Canada and said Landis's testosterone levels were much too high; he must have used something.
"This proves to me that medical experts are also uncertain about what the normal testosterone levels should be.
"Something I do not understand is that 18 of the 22 cyclists who were allegedly involved in the Spanish doping scandal have been found innocent.
"Yet, the news media ignore this. Is it because the news is not sensational enough?
"A leading female cyclist has told me how a top Russian rider said to an Italian team manager that if they offered her a professional contract, she would be able to arrange for cheap EPO from Russia.
"But, these things do not happen only in cycling. Almost 200 athletes have been treated by the Spanish doctor, of whom only about 60 were cyclists.
"Why have only the cyclists' names been disclosed"
Athletes will go elsewhere
"The French soccer star Zinedine Zidane told in an interview how he had gone to a Swiss clinic for blood treatment. How can that be allowed," asked Liggett.
"I anticipate that if Spain adopts legislation to criminalise drug abuse in sport, athletes who want to break the rules will go to South America. "It (abuse) is already illegal in France, Italy and the UK," said the man known as the Voice of Cycling.

Actually, the high levels of testosterone can be explained naturally. Depending on the activity, outside activities, supplements (legal) taken, it's possible he's innocent.

Example most men can identify with: Too much sex leads to higher testosterone, reduces levels of the hormone DHT (causing hair loss in extreme cases) and reduces levels of zinc (semen has a high concentration of zinc, which also can result in poor vision).

The imbalance of one hormone of the body has an effect on the next. Landis could be a victim of just such an imbalance...

but I doubt it.

landis_maximonline.jpg

Medical science is not a science it is an art and every human body is different in its chemical make-up. It is entirely plausible that Landis is just a freak. :)

How much medical knowledge do you have to make such a claim? Have you completed medical school? Paramedic training? Biochemistry?

bulldogg said:
How much medical knowledge do you have to make such a claim? Have you completed medical school? Paramedic training? Biochemistry?

No, but I did sleep and a Holiday Inn Express last night!

^^^da da dum ts(comedian drums)

I agree with bulldogg, the human body is still very much a mystery to us. It IS possible for him to have that natural testerone level.

And I provided an example to support that. I'm not disavowign the possibility totally, it's just that, having seen the doping scandals of other sports, it's a possibility.

Hell, I hope for his sake that it IS just a naturally high testosterone level... because I know what anabolic steriods and other "supplements" (like creatine) do to the body.

Back