The door gunner book; The Orange Barrel

charlylynx

This new novel filled with actual accounts from Vietnam is a must for history buffs and general book readers alike. Written in a style unlike any other novel, the author weaves you through the action playing with your thoughts and fears(theirs no place to hide in a helicopter) all the time digging into your sub-conscious revealing your own inner being. Check out the synopsis and free chapters at amazon for more details... enjoy .....charly :rockin:

Is that another book? Might want to catch the Orange Barrel synopsis, fear is quite a struggle in the book and in the air for everyone.

Chickenhawk is about the experiences in Vietnam of Robert Mason a US Army helicopter pilot. He followed it up in the 1990s with Chickenhawk: Back In The World.
Both books are still quite popular (Chickenhawk sold over half a million copies and was reissued again in the 2000s).

I'll have to check that out to make sure I didn't plagiarize anything. If it sold that many copies then it's a must read. I just read 'Crew chief' for that reason and I passed. I didn't like it though, most of it was about dealing with jerks and pending legal matters with a little action thrown in to make it interesting. I spent a whole day pissed off at lifers and officers again afterwards!

OK I read chickenhawk and passed on the plagiarism threat(cool!). I did like the book, filled with action and the daily life of a Huey pilot early in the war. My book is totally different(thank God) and plays with the mind more with flashbacks and mental trips that are more diabolical and trippy. Also his story line is almost a rewrite from a diary and more reality focused where mine is based on true stories but is more fantasy like in its presentation and written in a style unlike anything anybody else wrote . Still it's a great book and I'd strongly recommend it for chopper addicts over any other book I've read on the subject.

Cool :)
I read Chickenhawk decades ago on the recommendation of my father (who is an Aussie Vietnam veteran). Because he was involved I have a tendency to read Vietnam War novels in preference to other war stories - I'll have to check out your book (I'm still debating the merits of electronic or dead-tree version at the moment!)

Cool, you'll love my book, it'll blow you away.
I'm the same way with what I read on war. My father was a Marine raider on Guadalcanal and I soaked up every book I could find on the subject. He seldom spoke of it and after reading a few books I could understand why. I seldom read any books on Nam, they give me the creeps since I was involved in the conflict and will never heal from it. Reading about WWII is a lot easier for me for some reason.

Actually it was mentally harsh, digging up bones in your head and messing with a past best forgotten. It really messed me up for awhile. It would be like an altar boy writing about being priests that got too friendly. War is like a rape of your childhood that can't be reversed. Now that it's published I don't dare open it and read from it. It has a lot of comedy that breaks up the action sequences so it's not a steady hammer of war, but it still takes you places other books don't or can't.

Back