Don't Liberate Cows!!!

bonnieblue716

I heard this one at the reunion of the 1258th also (see the Paton's River story). It was told to me by a guy in Company A, Second Platoon. Any way the story goes that the platoon had been living on C rations and K rations for weeks and were down to there last few C rations, when they came across a small village on the way to a city to build a bridge. Anyway they saw a lone cow standing in a field, and the platoon took a vote and decided they need to "Liberate" that cow. Anyway one of the guys in charge of cooking went and "Liberated" the cow, and commenced to go about the task of preparing to cook it, and cooking it. All the while the guys of Company A, second platoon, were dreaming of how nice fresh steak that was going to be, and how great it was going to be to go to bed with a full stomach. About that time the cooks pronouced the cow, "thoughly liberated" and ready to eat. The guys started to dig in but they claim that was the toughest meat they have ever ate in there 80 years, and I bet they weren't being too picky at that moment in time. And the part about going to bed on a full stomach, they never made it father than the nearest bush, were they stayed for the duration of the night! Moral of the story don't do cows in a war zone a favor, their owners left them their for a reason!

Hey Bonnie, Send more stories. My grandfather was in the 1258th. I am trying to order the books from John Thorpe, but in the mean time, I enjoy reading the storied you are posting.
Thanks
Chad
Grandson of Johnny Mitch Jordan

Evidently the cooks never thought of liberating a little vino to use to sweeten and tenderize the meat. How short their vision must have been.

NO COOK IN THIS MODERN DAY WOULD HAVE SERVED UP A CUT OF BEEF WITHOUT TENDERIZING AND SEASONING PRIOR TO COOKING.

Back