Donkeys Get Marines Around in Afghanistan

SwordFish_13

Hi,

:lol: :lol:

Source:Associated Press

KANDAGAL, Afghanistan - The U.S. military has gone low-tech. Frustrated with the limitations of using its fleet of modern Humvee four-wheel-drives in rugged mountains with few roads, a battalion of Marines has enlisted the help of transport vehicles that Afghan villagers have been using for centuries — donkeys.

capt.kab10808131507.afghanistan_us_offensive_kab108.jpg

About 30 of the animals have been rented from local farmers to haul food and bottled water to hundreds of Afghan and U.S. troops on a major two-week operation to battle militants deep in remote mountains in eastern
Afghanistan's Kunar province.

"With all the smart bombs and the modern stuff in war nowadays, this is the best way for us to resupply our troops there," said Lt. Col. Jim Donnellan, commander of 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, which is based in Hawaii. "It's also much cheaper for the U.S. taxpayer for us to rent the donkeys than for everything to be air-dropped."

Using aircraft to resupply the forces is also dangerous.

In late June, militants in the area shot down a special forces Chinook helicopter, killing all 16 troops on board, as it tried to land in one of the many steep-sided, wooded valleys that snake their way through the mountains.

The operation, which began Friday, is aimed at flushing those fighters out of the valley and U.S. commanders are nervous about risking other choppers in the process.

From a temporary resupply base in a corn field near Kandagal, a tiny village, at one end of Korengal Valley, where the militants are suspected of hiding, squads of Marines with heavy packs on their backs led out lines of donkeys, each laden with two boxes of water, a box of food rations and a sack of grain.

While each Marine carried enough food and water for themselves for two days, the donkeys gave each squad supplies for an extra 48 hours. Once finished, the animals would be led back to the resupply base to load up again and then return to the mountains.

Before coming to Afghanistan, some of the troops received training in handling donkeys at the Marines' Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport, Nevada, said Capt. John Moshane.

"Marines have used donkeys since the American revolution," he said, as each animal was being spray painted with a number for identification.

Still, the donkeys' stubbornness to cooperate and their determination to try to mate with each other whenever they were untied persistently frustrated their handlers. When one Marine slapped one of the animals on the rump in exasperation, the donkey promptly gave him a sharp kick with one of its hind legs.

Donkeys have long been used by armies in Afghanistan, including by mujahedeen independence fighters against Soviet troops in the 1980s. They have also been popular with smugglers who use them to sneak loads of opium, illegally mined gems and timber across the country's mountainous borders.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Improvise, adapt, and overcome, repeat as necessary. Soldiers have been doing this from ancient times.

they are verry smart.... however if they were smart enough, they would be ride-ing the marines :p

smart move
will help improve relationships with the locals by generating legit income for them

Ray89 said:
they are verry smart.... however if they were smart enough, they would be ride-ing the marines :p

Nah, they wouldnt do that, they know Marines arent as good on steep and rocky trails as they are. ;)

to me.. its like

Marine's: are hard headed and you strenth and its rare if they use there brains to the MAX.

Army: use sly, swift, tactics a fight by using there enemy's weakness agenst them

Airforce: seem to be the Brain users they may not be a physical as marines yet they make up for it by devising master plans

Navy: are the baby fighters they do there fighting in the Air or in the Sea
very smart in their element but not good out of their element

Ray89 said:
to me.. its like

Marine's: are hard headed and you strenth and its rare if they use there brains to the MAX.

Army: use sly, swift, tactics a fight by using there enemy's weakness agenst them

Airforce: seem to be the Brain users they may not be a physical as marines yet they make up for it by devising master plans

Navy: are the baby fighters they do there fighting in the Air or in the Sea
very smart in their element but not good out of their element
:eek:fftopic:
Ray89 that little smiley above means your'e OFF-TOPIC :eek:fftopic:

Nothing funny about it. armies have been using beasts of burden from time immemorial. in afghanistan, if donkeys work, use them!

well you have to get around somehow, be it by donkies, then i say :horsie:

and to ray, i'm in the airforce, and have to say i'm very flattered that you think i'm smart, but we do enough physical stuff too. as for the stuff you said about the other branches, i'd be very offended if i were them.

Old news:

Concurrent satellite programs include Sniper Sustainment Training, Assault Climbers Course, Tactical Rope Suspension Technician Certification, Animal Packing Course, Weapons Company Core Extension Package, Swift Water Rescue Course, Mountain Communications Course, Mountain Motor Transport Course, Mountain Engineer Course, and Recon Sustainment Training.

http://www.mwtc.usmc.mil/unitops.htm

Yes I distinctly remember this was one of the points Michael Moore made in his liar-entary Fahrenheit 911. He made fun of Bush because what his allies were willing to offer was some donkeys. Actually Morocco gave donkeys and they proved real useful in Afghanistan rugged areas. So much for Moore. And way better to ride a donkey than actually being a pig, you know Michael?

Back