Don Imus calls Rutgers "nappy-headed ho's"

Mr. Imus was discussing the Rutgers Women's College Basketball team and referred to the girls as "nappy-headed ho's." Imus has recieved numerous criticisms from Rev. Al Sharpton, the National Association of Black Journalists, as well as his superiors. See more here. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18035749/

I personally think that even though it should never have been said in the first place, that Reverend Sharpton is overreacting. Along with the rest of the black community that uses the same vernacular every day in their music, and every day language. Who else thinks Rev. Al needs to take a chill pill?

Not only that, but why should, when they are calling for equality,Imus be punished for saying it when black people everywhere, be it music, be it movies, or simple daily life, use the terms as commonly as we us "the"?

Exactly. The most offensive part of his statement was when he called them hos, now that was just inappropriate unless they're the Rutger's Hooker team.

Right. And the funniest thing is, I don't see anyone screaming about the sexist part...I dont hear women crying about it...

Ummmm..... do to my job and the fact that I am part of the public image. I cannot comment on the topic. So instead this sock puppet will speak in my place.

Sock Puppet takes over key board...

"I laughed so hard when i saw that on TV."

Sock Puppet leaves key board...

Okay I'm back.

LOL. Yea, though I must admit, I was more disgusted with the black response to Imus's comments than anything else. It's SO typical and hypocritical.

They're overreacting, if Tupac had said it no one would have blinked other than the fact he's dead and dead men don't talk. I'm a bristle-headed cracker, so what?? Amongst my ex's family I am commonly referred to as a n_gg_r and use it in return with them... its just a word. I can use any term in the English vernacular and make it an insult, are we going to outlaw the dictionary? This is exactly the point made in 1984 about NEWSPEAK, the words end up losing any meaning. PC is dumbing down the language to where NOTHING can be communicated anymore.

FYI songs with the words "nappy" and "ho" in them... the short list...
Fugees - Nappy Heads
Nappy Headz - Robbery
Nappy Roots - Po Folks
Nappy King Blues
Glen Ballard - Nappy Head
Ludacris - Ho
TLC - Silly Ho
Trick Daddy - Ho, But Cant Help It
Kurupt - Ho's A Housewife
Nappy Roots - Ho Down

Oh my mistake all these artists are BLACK... I guess that makes it ok but since my skin is white and Don Imus's skin is white then its a crime... wait a minute... different standards based on the color of skin... that's racism.

They're overreacting, if Tupac had said it no one would have blinked other than the fact he's dead and dead men don't talk. I'm a bristle-headed cracker, so what?? Amongst my ex's family I am commonly referred to as a n_gg_r and use it in return with them... its just a word. I can use any term in the English vernacular and make it an insult, are we going to outlaw the dictionary? This is exactly the point made in 1984 about NEWSPEAK, the words end up losing any meaning. PC is dumbing down the language to where NOTHING can be communicated anymore.

Fugees - Nappy Heads
Nappy Headz - Robbery
Nappy Roots - Po Folks
Nappy King Blues
Ludacris - Ho
TLC - Silly Ho
Nappy Roots - Ho Down

Oh my mistake all these artists are BLACK... I guess that makes it ok but since my skin is white and Don Imus's skin is white then its a crime... wait a minute... different standards based on the color of skin... that's racism.
Strange how that coincidence occurred, isnt it?

I'm agreeing on the over-reaction part. I don't know what "nappy headed" means but so what if he called them "hos" and how is that racist? Sure Rutger's women's basketball team is mostly black, but there were at least two white girls on that team whom I saw and they didn't seem to be upset, of course the cameras were all trained on the ranting Vivian Stringer. She kept going on about what these girls had to "endure" to get where they are today. Wake up lady! It's 2007! Just because you are 50+ and can remember when racism was the norm doesn't mean these girls can. Granted I've never been east of Chicago or south of Kansas City, MO, but I've never seen any institutional racism like what Stringer was suggesting still existed.

Oh, and did anyone hear the conversation between Imus and Sharpton, here's an excerpt:

"What I did was repugnant, repulsive and horrible," said Imus. "Here are these young women at the pinnacle of their life ... and I ruined it."

At one point, the exchange between Imus, Sharpton and a female caller grew testy.Imus became frustrated and exclaimed, "I can't get anywhere with you people."

"What do you mean by 'you people'?" Sharpton said.

Imus responded that he simply meant Sharpton and the woman.

Nice one reverend. If I wasn't, what's the word, educated, I might start to think these stereotypes were true. "What do you mean by 'your people'?" I bet he watched South Park a couple weeks ago and thought "Yeah, that's a great line." and was waiting all interview to use it.

In a slightly related story where race is involved, the Duke Lacrosse team was cleared of all charges today, so does that mean the black stripper who accused the team owes all white people an apology? No! Why? We don't care.

Fugees - Nappy Heads
Nappy Headz - Robbery
Nappy Roots - Po Folks
Nappy King Blues
Ludacris - Ho
TLC - Silly Ho
Nappy Roots - Ho Down

Ever notice that not one of these groups are white, they are all black. Its one thing to mock your own ethnic group (self-depreciation), its another to mock someone else's, thats bigotry.

And there have been instances of reverse situations. The reverse is also true. I have heard plenty of Jewish jokes from my Jewish friends. But does anyone remember Jesse Jacksons 'Hymietown' comment? or of Sharpton's "White Interlopers" -referring to White Businesses in Harlem and of "Diamond Merchants" a codename for Hasidic Jewellers.

Nor is this the first of Imus racists slips, he got caught using the "N" word on 60 minutes with Mike Wallace.

My feeling echoes that of C\LT.Henderson. Should have Imus have said it? No it was both in bad taste and bigoted. Should Jesse Jackson and Sharpton leap on the bandwagon? Also No. They both have got their own skeletons to deal with as I already mentioned above.

And finally, if your going to listen to Imus and Stern you should be prepared to have your feelings hurt. They arn't called 'shock' jocks for nothing. Personally there are enough nasty people in the world, I dont need to hear these 2 morons if I can avoid it.

Last edited:
Ya know if MMarsh would read my posts he wouldn't sound so retarded repeating what has already been said... :) But again, he misses the point.

I fail to see how what Imus said was racist. Sexist? Yes. Racist? No. Ho refers to black and white woman equally.

I fail to see how what Imus said was racist. Sexist? Yes. Racist? No. Ho refers to black and white woman equally.

The term 'nappy-hair' is a hairdo style common amongst African-American women.

Its a bigoted comment, not a racist one. Racism implies hate, for example the Ku Klux Klan.

"nappy head" refers to very tightly kinky hair... what most black people have naturally without doing chemical or thermomechanical alteration. It was a racist and sexist remark BUT so is holding him to a double standard because he is white and not black. :cen: em if they can't play on a level field. Its either wrong for EVERYONE regardless of their skin color or its ok for everyone, you can't have it both ways.

Psht you all just need to know that I am an equal opportunity racist. I hate EVERYONE equally.

Things to note:
Self-deprecation applies to oneself. Not to an entire ethnicity.

Racism does not imply hate. It implies a bias for or against an ethnicity.

Just because I may not like Indians (People from India) does not mean I hate them. (For the record I do not like or dislike them as I have never been in their country).

Well said. Racism is bias based on ethnicity. Not a true HATRED for the race. Now, granted, hatred is often the extremity, but not guaraunteed. Again, bulldogg speaks the truth as well. Either EVERYONE is allowed to say it, or NO ONE is allowed to say it. Double standards based on the color of ones skin...Could double standard be replaced with "bias"? SURE COULD. Anyone putting two and two together here?

Back