Domestic Spying without a Court Order by the FBI

Do you approve of Domestic Spying without a Court Order?

• Yes

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
DISCLAIMER- Incoherent rant to follow.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9939709

The FBI now issues more than 30,000 national security letters a year, according to government sources, a hundredfold increase over historic norms. The letters -- one of which can be used to sweep up the records of many people -- are extending the bureau's reach as never before into the telephone calls, correspondence and financial lives of ordinary Americans.

Issued by FBI field supervisors, national security letters do not need the imprimatur of a prosecutor, grand jury or judge. They receive no review after the fact by the Justice Department or Congress. The executive branch maintains only statistics, which are incomplete and confined to classified reports. The Bush administration defeated legislation and a lawsuit to require a public accounting, and has offered no example in which the use of a national security letter helped disrupt a terrorist plot.

That in a nutshell is the reason I left the US to live overseas. Why stay in the land of the free when those freedoms are being eroded? Might as well travel and live abroad where the freedoms have already suffered the "salami method" of wiping them away years ago. Its really really disturbing to me to see these broad unchecked police powers. I have nothing to hide but it makes me wicked uncomfortable knowing people are being held without being charged and without knowing the evidence against them...argh. Do you really feel safer being spied on by your own government? I honestly feel safer outside CONUS on my own. The problem is that I know this is an impotent rant and I am, like the rest of us, truly powerless to affect any sort of change in the governance of the US or any country for that matter... :roll:

bur2.gif

We're in a trend in world government for more and more power over its citizens.

We fought World War 2 to end totalitarianism only to find it's been a cancer that's been growing in our own country since about 1917.

It's just sad that in some ways America is no longer the "home of the free" as much as it is the "home of the free-er."

At least it isn't like China.

Whispering Death said:
We're in a trend in world government for more and more power over its citizens.

We fought World War 2 to end totalitarianism only to find it's been a cancer that's been growing in our own country since about 1917.

It's just sad that in some ways America is no longer the "home of the free" as much as it is the "home of the free-er."

At least it isn't like China.

Well I think we are going down a dangerous path, but I do hold out hope that the current trend of a 'big brother' government that we are drifting to can be reversed.

I am not an expert in this field but let me have my 2 cents here since I have been living in a dictatorship and have also lived parts of my life in free societies:

first the source of such news is another media outlet belonging to left wingers.

secondly, due to hard work done by FBI and other security agencies in the states, people live a safer life.

And the last one is that the US is still a democratic republic and you guys need to appreciate what you have.

If you could imagine how life looks like in Iran, Cuba or China then you wouldnt be saying this now.

I am sure that your society has enough capabalities to prevent it from being a dictatorship (God forbids thou)!

Personally, I don't care. If the FBI is listening in on phone conversations fine, I don't talk about bombing any government buildings and would never do such a thing. If they are watching people of suspicion to see who they are talking to and what they are talking about good for them, helps keep me safe.

My point is this, on 9/11 we were caught with our pants down and the reason was because the FBI and CIA were too limited in their powers and because of that 3,000 people died. If some random FBI agent who I have never met finds out that I wear white socks and a black belt (OMG! Heretic! :oops: ) I don't care. I think it is common knowledge that Al Qaeda was cells in every western nation and they have to somehow talk to their associates to plan their attacks. If the FBI is allowed to monitor calls and discover that somebody is planning an attack and can stop it this was all worth it. I personally have nothing to fear, clean record, no intentions to attack my own country. If you ask me any who is worried about this has something to hide. Of course most people won't they just view this as a chance to get their name in the spotlight all in the name of civil liberties but the suspicion is still there none-the-less.

I guess they know by now that I have an interest in military type weapons and buy, sell, and trade quite a bit. Every time the dealer calls in for my record, I encounter no problems but my name may go on a list after so many transactions. I'm working up enough nerve to purchase an AK-47 or some knockoff thereof.

Phoenix, I HAVE been living in China for the past three years. :roll: What is it like in Iran? You keep giving such obtuse references to the differences but I haven't seen anywhere where you have delineated some concrete examples of what it is like living in Iran.

I got put on a watch list by the FBI for ordering the Halal meal on my second flight into China when I purchased my ticket online. Its not my fault its the only airline food that doesn't taste like styrofoam anymore.

The only reason I found out about this was because my brother's long time girlfriend is now an FBI agent and during her security clearance interviews my name came up and she was questioned repeatedly about me more than anyone else in her circle of family and friends. My brother also was approached and asked about "Why is your brother living in a communist country?"

Another friend I served with now works for a PMO with a few government contracts and is not allowed to converse with me. We have to converse through relayed messages. He found out his email was being read when he was brought in and questioned about something we had been joking about in one of our email exchanges.

Another works for the Department of Homeland Security as an advisor to the state of Alabama on agricultural issues. I met him in China as he was here coming to see China for himself for a year his first year out of uni. He defied his bosses and continued to write emails when told by his supervisors to stop. He told them to read them but that he would not be told who he could and could not speak with. Its been six months now since I last heard from him.

I spend eight years serving in uniform between the active army, guard and reserves honourably to have my own country question my motives for working someplace they don't like? Its under my skin something fierce to be honest. I have never advocated anything remotely treasonous about my country and they view me and others like me with suspicion while hundreds of immigrants from countries openly hostile to the US flood into her.

More than once here I have been approached and asked to teach medicine, english or "military stuff" as one person put it and I refused out of loyalty to my country and this is how I am repaid?? I can't help but feel betrayed inside and I mourn for the loss of innocence.

Phoenix, I HAVE been living in China for the past three years. What is it like in Iran? You keep giving such obtuse references to the differences but I haven't seen anywhere where you have delineated some concrete examples of what it is like living in Iran.

it is worse than China in terms of personal freedom. It is something like Cuba.

You should know better how life is in countries like Iran.

Phoenix, how the :cen: would I know except from what I have read? Then you tell me I am wrong but just as you have done here you add NOTHING to the conversation. Tell us some stories, give us some examples. You say you lived there, tell us about it from first hand accounts mate.

I have nothing to hide but it makes me wicked uncomfortable knowing people are being held without being charged and without knowing the evidence against them...argh.

I agree with you, bulldogg.

If someone is proven to have links to illegal activities, then I have no problem with authorities tracking them. I do have a problem with the "guilty until proved innocent" philosophy the US government has seemingly adopted.

first the source of such news is another media outlet belonging to left wingers.

Ah, so if I understand phoenix80s POV - anything that is critical of the US government must be from evil anti-American left-wingers. Gasp! Shock! Horror! The government must always be working for the good of the people! :roll:

bulldogg said:
Phoenix, how the :cen: would I know except from what I have read? Then you tell me I am wrong but just as you have done here you add NOTHING to the conversation. Tell us some stories, give us some examples. You say you lived there, tell us about it from first hand accounts mate.

why are you offensive?!

okay I tell you more!

in Iran you can't criticise the leadership or ministers and high ranking people. No freedom of speech and assembly!

In my homeland, Iran, you are always guilty unless proven otherwise.

Leaders are very corrupt and dont care about the welfare of their own people.

You might end up in jail for being with your opposite sex partner (if you aren't married).

You end up in jail if you talk against the founder of the islamic regime or try to promote western values. in 1999 and 2003 thousands of students were arrested for speaking up against the mullahs and rioting against the regime.

I was just wondering how you can say that the US is becoming a police state when you have no clue about how a police state like Iran/Cuba/Syria or China is.

Btw, you have lived in China for couple of yrs and you should know how they treat their opposition forces.

Ramjet:
Ah, so if I understand phoenix80s POV - anything that is critical of the US government must be from evil anti-American left-wingers. Gasp! Shock! Horror! The government must always be working for the good of the people!

No, I am in favor of open and free media and I wish the same thing could exist in Iran too.

But in the recent years the media attack whatever the US government (read Bush) does and it is unfair.

So I'd rather not believe such BS from left wing media which do nothing to help.

Ok, granted I have been out of CONUS three years but is the Washington Post now a den of left-wing ideology??

Phoenix, sorry if that post seemed offensive, it is actually the voice of exasperation. Can you relate any first hand accounts?

bulldogg said:
Ok, granted I have been out of CONUS three years but is the Washington Post now a den of left-wing ideology??

Phoenix, sorry if that post seemed offensive, it is actually the voice of exasperation. Can you relate any first hand accounts?

Wash Post has always been the bastion of left wingers.

What first hand accounts would you like to hear?

sorry it can put my family who still lives in iran in a great risk!

but to give you a bit of the taste of how life is restricted for youth in Iran.... I can say that I was arrested 2 times for walking with my girl friend in a park in central tehran and the mullah gave me a suspended sentence on that. (i was damn lucky though)

or during June 2003 protests, 4000 students arrested in 7 days for speaking up against the regime and asking for more freedom.

Btw, I'd suggest you keep reading this blog

http://regimechangeiran.blogspot.com

See that's what I am talking about, thanks, this makes it a little more real than just some general statements that anyone reading a blog could muster up. Thanks Phoenix.

Its nothing like that here in China. People in their day to day life rarely ever come into contact with the boundaries set upon them by the central government in a tangible way. They control the information you have access to and they limit the ways you can protest but they are allowed to protest. There are a couple of hot buttons that will get you ganked but as long as you steer clear of them its negligible as far as how much they affect their citizens.

Is it unreasonable to fear that this step of spying on citizens will lead to a government with ever increasing unchecked power and ever decreasing rights of the citizens?

BTW that blog is blocked in mainland China so I can't read it. :roll:

Allies mate. China and Iran are very tight bedfellows. They are very careful to behave towards allies as they would want them to do to/for them. IE they block sites critical or deemed subversive to Iran as they would expect Iran to do regarding sites critical or subversive to China. Like I said they control information here more than directly controlling the citizens lives as done in North Korea and apparently Iran.

Back