Doesn't this defy the point of hunger strikes?

KC72

Saddam Eating Again
Updated: 09:17, Monday February 27, 2006

Saddam Hussein has ended his hunger strike for health reasons, according to his lawyers.

The former Iraqi leader had staged his protest after complaining about the court proceedings against him and his fellow defendants in Baghdad.

"The president maintained his hunger strike for 11 days but was forced to end it for health reasons," his chief lawyer Khalil Dulaimi said.

The pair had met for seven hours over the weekend, according to reports in Iraq.

The 11-day period means Saddam gave up his protest a week ago, having started his hunger strike in February 11.

Saddam was angry over his treatment by chief judge Raouf Abdel-Rahman.

On February 11, he said: "We have been on hunger strike for three days to protest the way they brought us to court."

The trial of the eight co-defendants who used to rule Iraq is due to resume on Tuesday after a two-week break.

They all deny charges over their alleged role in the 1982 massacre of 148 Shi'ites in Dujail, north of Baghdad.

The prosecution is trying to show a direct link between Saddam and the killings and has called members of the former regime as witnesses.

The prosecution also produced documents to show a direct connection.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-13511050,00.html ?f=rss

tha spineless tosser!

wouldn't that be nice, the old :censored: starves himself to death and saves everyone a lot of problems

Hell, he probably stopped because he just plain got hungry. Imagine that- 11 days without a bite to eat. That's pretty good if you ask me. I couldn't go 11 days without Copenhagen. Well I guess I'll have to go much longer than that when I go to Basic Training. Anyhow, the whole situation with Saddam quitting his hunger strike for "health reasons" :wink: is pretty ridiculous.

it is a waste of time to try him

they should shoot him and save the money spent on this trial on the well being of Iraqi citizens

sven hassell said:
No, Why defend someones right to say what they want, to the death when what they say might mean yours?

Because then you are just as bad as himself and everyone should have the right for freedom of speech. He might have made terrible things to others and all that, but he is still a human being!

They shouldnt bother keeping him at a max security prison. Let him mix with all the best classes that American prison has to offer in medium security, where all the stabings and rapings take place.

The guy is lucky that whoever caught him was going to become a legend and so didnt need to top the prick.

Back