Does the U.S. media cover the war fairly?

proteinxx

Banned
Does the U.S. media cover the war fairly?

Mod edit: In the future, do not edit away topic starters once you get tired of your own topic for whatever reason.

proteinxx,

I'm starting to really suspect you are from a totaly communist country that likes to control the way people think, by the way you like to control how we think.

You give us three little choices all in favor of your own agenda.

This survey is a load of crock.

I agree with gladius, the objectivity of the US media has been established as more left then right, and to say It's influencing people In this country for the war Is just not true.

Yup I agree with that guy on the right side there- no no, not him, that! guy

...err, that the majority of our media is terribly anti-war. It's saddening how little the media thinks of our troopers.

All of you calm down, there will be no flame wars allowed here, and starting one will not be tolerated. If you feel a poll is unfair or doesn't give you the options you would like, either do not post in that thread or post a reply stating your own opinion, no one is being forced to either read or reply to anything here.

On topic, I do not believe the U.S. media as a whole is covering the conflict responsibly. I cannot say anything about how completely it is covered, although I have heard a lot of things from friends I have over seas that do not jive with what I see in the news, but I have no personal experience with which to attack that aspect of their coverage. I do, however, find fault with the general portrayal of the Iraqi insurgents as freedom fighters, which necessarily casts our own military in the role of oppressor, something that I see as a betrayal of and a great slander against our servicemen and women. Yesterday the Sacramento Bee newspaper ran a front page article about al-Sadr's militia withdrawing from the Imam Ali shrine in Najaf that equated the use of IEDs with that of tanks.* Although I realize that there are many folks who believe that such cowardly devices are justified by the disparity in training and armament between ourselves and these terrorists, the fact that my own nation's media has decided to portray our enemy in such a light is, to my mind, disgusting and extremely unprofessional.

*The Sacramento Bee; "Smell of death fills Najaf as truce begins," Alex Berenson, NY Times 28AUG2004.

To be anti-war is resonable, considering the horrer the very nature of war brings, but the attamepts to undermine policy, and fuel the conflict, are what makes them blatently left-leaning. They refuse to look at the good, as mentioned, for journalism as a field usually look on the bad. They also have clear political agendas (Ted Turner anyone), that influence the way they report.

The media is the media. Spinning and repackaging the truth is what they do for a living, but they do make great efforts to get their facts straight. Otherwise, their competition with blast them for it. My biggest complaint is that they are all about making a big splash with the most shocking story. As result, everyday events are not included like keeping a running total of what good things the US and allies have accomplished in Iraq. Those details are boring and they don't grab the public's attention. So your perspective is guaranteed to not see every aspect of things, and your unlikely to have a decent view from all angles.

the media portrays what'll get them ratings, which is mainly death, violence, things along that nature. I think everyone before me has stated what I would.

We just recently had the 1 MEF(I think) come talk to some of us that'll deploy in the next few months(2 MEF) and He said they're trying to get the media to show the other aspects of what we do, so far only the military papers have done that, but hopefully the other "media" will follow suit

I believe they do, if you talk to the reporters that have been imbedded with units.

I believe the associated press covers the war very objectively and tries to give an unbiased opinion.

I like MSNSBC and CNN for my news.

As Paul Begala said if need fiction i'll tune into fox news.

No I do not, but tht is beside the point as the question was whether the coverage was fair, not whether you like the political commentary on an obviously opinion based program.

Your statement, taken in the context of this thread, was that FoxNews fabricates their news reports.

Well I believe it was covered well, by ABC, MSNBC, and CNN.

Fox I do not. But mostly the Associated Press did the best job.

Actually yes, the shows which are hosted by partisan democrats are still objective when it comes to reporting about the war.

Your statement, taken in the context of this thread, was that FoxNews fabricates their news reports.

Why yes I take full responsibility of that post and stand fully behind what I have said.

Time said:
are still objective when it comes to reporting about the war.

Funny how their reports, along with every other one over in the sand box, rushed to completely alter events as they had witnessed for their stories.

None of them are accurate or honest - so saying one is better than another isn't saying much at all.

Back