Does this really belong in our schools?

There is a middle school in Florida that has started a Young Marines program. Does the military really have business being involved in the education of our youth? Is this Young Marines program really appropriate for preparing our youth for the high tech careers of the future?

http://www.enrollvenicemiddle.info/young-marines.html

Doesn't schools like the Sarah E Goode STEM Academy provide a better way to prepare our kids for the future?

http://www.my9nj.com/story/24720844/chicagos-sarah-e-goode-academy-featured-on-time-magazine

http://citizenibm.com/2014/02/litow_time_sarah_goode.html

I don't see much value in the Young Marines program. Shouldn't we establish more STEM academies rather than increase the number of Young Marines?

There is a middle school in Florida that has started a Young Marines program. Does the military really have business being involved in the education of our youth? Is this Young Marines program really appropriate for preparing our youth for the high tech careers of the future?

The short answer is yes, the role of schools is to help prepare kids for their future careers and the military is a career.
If we were talking about kids having to take "military training" I would agree that it is the wrong way to go but to have it available for those that want it is in my opinion a good idea.

Doesn't schools like the Sarah E Goode STEM Academy provide a better way to prepare our kids for the future?

http://www.my9nj.com/story/24720844/chicagos-sarah-e-goode-academy-featured-on-time-magazine

I don't see much value in the Young Marines program. Shouldn't we establish more STEM academies rather than increase the number of Young Marines?

Why can't you have both, they are not mutually exclusive entities.

The Young Marines have been around for years. And a lot of schools have JROTC programs, which have also been around for years soooooooo.....what's the problem? Oh that's right! There isn't one. -_-

The Young Marines is a good program. Some are better run than others. It's a good program for young people... it's not exactly a clandestine SPARTAN project or anything lol

The Young Marines have been around for years. And a lot of schools have JROTC programs, which have also been around for years soooooooo.....what's the problem? Oh that's right! There isn't one. -_-

Back in the 50's I was in the Jr. Marine Corps (I think I was around 10 yrs old) - it didn't hurt me at all, in fact a lot of what I learned gave me a step up when I was drafted.

The Young Marines is an amazing program. They managed to turn my nephew's snotty a$$ little friend who was close to failing out of school (not because he's dumb, but because he didn't care) and headed for a life of burger flipping into a decent and respectful young man who is now an Honors Student and has been accepted to three of the four colleges he applied to. I can't remember how old he was when his parents got him into the group (I want to say 14), but it wasn't long before they had him whipped into shape. Just getting him interested in the Young Marines at all was a good thing because he had to get his grades up in order to join. And c'mon!! The Gunny (R.L. Ermey for any imbeciles that don't know who The Gunny is) is their official celebrity spokesman. How could you possibly go wrong with him to look up to?! You might talk really loud and knife hand a lot, but those are good things, yes? :) And let's not forget Chester, their adorable bulldog puppy and official mascot!

One only has to look at his avatar to understand where his mindset is at.

One only has to look at his avatar to understand where his mindset is at.

Yeah, he's not projecting at all!

The fact is, he's got an axe to grind and isn't interested in the good any youth military group can do. Words are wasted trying to convince him. I would bet money he thinks people in the military are big bad boogey men who prey on these defenseless children in order to brain wash them into robothood and if we just hugged everyone and everything evil people would simply give in or go away...like I said, rainbows and unicorns...

Yeah, he's not projecting at all!

The fact is, he's got an axe to grind and isn't interested in the good any youth military group can do. Words are wasted trying to convince him. I would bet money he thinks people in the military are big bad boogey men who prey on these defenseless children in order to brain wash them into robothood and if we just hugged everyone and everything evil people would simply give in or go away...like I said, rainbows and unicorns...

I would suggest that there is a lot of extrapolation going on to reach that conclusion.

All I saw was a question as to whether something belonged in schools or not, I did not see anything about brainwashing, evil people or hugs, certainly I think it is safe to assume he is not positive about the program but that is all you can assume from the information at hand.

Last edited:
I would suggest that there is a lot of extrapolation going on to reach that conclusion.

All I saw was a question as to whether something belonged in schools or not, I did not see anything about brainwashing, evil people or hugs, certainly I think it is safe to assume he is not positive about the program but that is all you can assume from the information at hand.

Yes, there is quite a lot of extrapolation. His tone and blatant ignorance is indicative to me that he doesn't really want us to merit any youth military group. Also, the fact that this was his first post PERIOD is saying quite a lot in and of itself. Had he actually ever done any real research he would know the "actual" military doesn't have anything to do with the education of "our" youth. I would bet a months salary the guy isn't really willing to change his position if reasonable arguments can be made to counter his perceptions. I've run into many like him before.

In their mind it's very simple...MILITARY= BAD...period.

But don't you think attacking the individual rather than refuting the argument reinforces that view.
I accept that there is a point at which it is obvious there will never be any agreement and these discussions then become a free for all but as you said this was his first post, it was written clearly and wasn't an abusive one therefore I am not sure it warranted the response it got.

When they say don't shoot the messenger I suspect they mean at least until he has actually delivered the message.
:)

Last edited:
When I pointed to this being his first post (actually second one which was exactly the same but in a different thread) I meant instead of feeling his way in, or introducing himself, he chose this, twice, in an international military forum. A place where he knew he'd likely get an audience that would try to refute what he said. He's a troll. Plain and simple.

Nowhere in that post does it invite a counterpoint. It is a statement rather. Look at his verbiage. I don't care if I reinforce his view or not...he wasn't in this room to be convinced otherwise in the first place. Notice his lack of response...he's likely laughing at you and I for this as we speak...

When I pointed to this being his first post (actually second one which was exactly the same but in a different thread) I meant instead of feeling his way in, or introducing himself, he chose this, twice, in an international military forum. A place where he knew he'd likely get an audience that would try to refute what he said. He's a troll. Plain and simple.

Nowhere in that post does it invite a counterpoint. It is a statement rather. Look at his verbiage. I don't care if I reinforce his view or not...he wasn't in this room to be convinced otherwise in the first place. Notice his lack of response...he's likely laughing at you and I for this as we speak...

While I don't entirely disagree with you I would point out that the title of the thread "Does this really belong in our schools?" is by virtue of the question mark at the end a question which by definition invites a counterpoint.

Without the question mark it is a statement and your comment would be correct but with it invites opinion including counter points.

The lack of response is a mark in favour of your argument however it may also be the mark of someone that looked at the responses, realised 95% of them were not responses to his question but rather assumptions as to his motives based solely on his avatar picture and figured is was not worth continuing.

As for being laughed at well I suspect we have all had someone laugh at us at some point in life and I am not sure it has ever caused any harm especially if it is for being prepared to hear someone out even if I don't agree with them.

Last edited:
Ha ha! I'm laughing at you science hating dumb military jocks!

Are you an ostrich with it's head in the sand. I worked as an engineer for > 15 years on design and testing of advanced military hardware. Do you have any idea of how complex the science is that's behind todays drones, radars, communications systems, guidance systems etc.. The military is responsible for most of the greatest leaps forward in technology over the last century. Computer processing, metallurgy, electrical and mechanical engineering, robotics etc.

The idea of military schools, JROTC and ROTC is to create more responsible citizens who know how to handle themselves and learn the value of respect, how to earn it and how to give it. The goal is not to have more enlistments in the branches of the service, but to make better citizens out of younger Americans like me. Also in my opinion it is one of the most fun programs you can have in schools. Yes there is discipline and other things that some people belive aren't fun. But once you join and have a open mind about it or are looking for it then it becomes fun.

The idea of military schools, JROTC and ROTC is to create more responsible citizens who know how to handle themselves and learn the value of respect, how to earn it and how to give it. The goal is not to have more enlistments in the branches of the service, but to make better citizens out of younger Americans like me. Also in my opinion it is one of the most fun programs you can have in schools. Yes there is discipline and other things that some people belive aren't fun. But once you join and have a open mind about it or are looking for it then it becomes fun.

I am sure sure that is what the brochure says word for word but I doubt any of these programs are being run for any other purpose than to draw kids into a military life which is not necessarily a bad thing for those that want it and as long as it isn't a requirement then I see no problem with these programs.

Back