Does this really belong in our schools?

JROTC does not encourage you to go into the military, it will help you out if you go into the military by teaching you respect and discipline. But the last time I checked you can use those two things they teach you in other occupations. For instance if you apply for a job even at McDonald's it increases your chances of getting that job by showing that you have dicipline and can show responsibility. I have a friend who's a Senior in ROTC and he was working at a pizza place, he applied for a job at best buy and got it over a 20 year old guy who probably had more experience with technology and stuff like that. But my freind was accepted mainly because he was in ROTC and was the group commander in our unit. He most likely also showed more respect during the interview then the other guy. But anyways that is what ROTC will do for you. It also helps when applying for college!

I believe it is a great idea to get middle schoolers who are thinking about joining the military in the future. As long as it is not forced and has no indication of hazing, I find it a great idea and with they had it when I was in middle school.

I think the worry/fear (what ever you want to call it) is at what age can you decide coherently what you want to do so throw them into an environment with a nifty uniform, hierachy and a promise of adventure and you are well on the way to creating the Hitler Youth.

Basically if my 7 year old (which is 2 years away) came home and said I want to join this group I would probably say no primarily because teaching discipline and respect etc. is the parents role at that stage.

However same question at 10-12 years old and I would probably say yes as I should have beaten the basics into him by then and if I have failed the army can have a go.
(I am sure I should put a :) in there somewhere).

Essentially I think there is an age that is too young for military exposure.

On the whole I support these programs but not as much when we are running weapons drills for preschoolers.

Back