Does this really belong in our schools? - Page 2




 
--
Boots
 
March 10th, 2014  
brinktk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I would suggest that there is a lot of extrapolation going on to reach that conclusion.

All I saw was a question as to whether something belonged in schools or not, I did not see anything about brainwashing, evil people or hugs, certainly I think it is safe to assume he is not positive about the program but that is all you can assume from the information at hand.

Yes, there is quite a lot of extrapolation. His tone and blatant ignorance is indicative to me that he doesn't really want us to merit any youth military group. Also, the fact that this was his first post PERIOD is saying quite a lot in and of itself. Had he actually ever done any real research he would know the "actual" military doesn't have anything to do with the education of "our" youth. I would bet a months salary the guy isn't really willing to change his position if reasonable arguments can be made to counter his perceptions. I've run into many like him before.

In their mind it's very simple...MILITARY= BAD...period.
March 10th, 2014  
MontyB
 
 
But don't you think attacking the individual rather than refuting the argument reinforces that view.
I accept that there is a point at which it is obvious there will never be any agreement and these discussions then become a free for all but as you said this was his first post, it was written clearly and wasn't an abusive one therefore I am not sure it warranted the response it got.

When they say don't shoot the messenger I suspect they mean at least until he has actually delivered the message.
March 11th, 2014  
brinktk
 
 
When I pointed to this being his first post (actually second one which was exactly the same but in a different thread) I meant instead of feeling his way in, or introducing himself, he chose this, twice, in an international military forum. A place where he knew he'd likely get an audience that would try to refute what he said. He's a troll. Plain and simple.

Nowhere in that post does it invite a counterpoint. It is a statement rather. Look at his verbiage. I don't care if I reinforce his view or not...he wasn't in this room to be convinced otherwise in the first place. Notice his lack of response...he's likely laughing at you and I for this as we speak...
--
Boots
March 11th, 2014  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinktk
When I pointed to this being his first post (actually second one which was exactly the same but in a different thread) I meant instead of feeling his way in, or introducing himself, he chose this, twice, in an international military forum. A place where he knew he'd likely get an audience that would try to refute what he said. He's a troll. Plain and simple.

Nowhere in that post does it invite a counterpoint. It is a statement rather. Look at his verbiage. I don't care if I reinforce his view or not...he wasn't in this room to be convinced otherwise in the first place. Notice his lack of response...he's likely laughing at you and I for this as we speak...
While I don't entirely disagree with you I would point out that the title of the thread "Does this really belong in our schools?" is by virtue of the question mark at the end a question which by definition invites a counterpoint.

Without the question mark it is a statement and your comment would be correct but with it invites opinion including counter points.

The lack of response is a mark in favour of your argument however it may also be the mark of someone that looked at the responses, realised 95% of them were not responses to his question but rather assumptions as to his motives based solely on his avatar picture and figured is was not worth continuing.

As for being laughed at well I suspect we have all had someone laugh at us at some point in life and I am not sure it has ever caused any harm especially if it is for being prepared to hear someone out even if I don't agree with them.
March 19th, 2014  
AustInglower99
 
 
In my opinion military cadet programs are okay as long as they are not used as recruitment tools.
January 22nd, 2015  
JWIlls94
 
 
Ha ha! I'm laughing at you science hating dumb military jocks!
January 22nd, 2015  
brinktk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWIlls94
Ha ha! I'm laughing at you science hating dumb military jocks!

You've clearly never been around military personnel before...
January 22nd, 2015  
JOC
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWIlls94
Ha ha! I'm laughing at you science hating dumb military jocks!
Are you an ostrich with it's head in the sand. I worked as an engineer for > 15 years on design and testing of advanced military hardware. Do you have any idea of how complex the science is that's behind todays drones, radars, communications systems, guidance systems etc.. The military is responsible for most of the greatest leaps forward in technology over the last century. Computer processing, metallurgy, electrical and mechanical engineering, robotics etc.
January 26th, 2015  
JRotc_cadet
 
 
The idea of military schools, JROTC and ROTC is to create more responsible citizens who know how to handle themselves and learn the value of respect, how to earn it and how to give it. The goal is not to have more enlistments in the branches of the service, but to make better citizens out of younger Americans like me. Also in my opinion it is one of the most fun programs you can have in schools. Yes there is discipline and other things that some people belive aren't fun. But once you join and have a open mind about it or are looking for it then it becomes fun.
January 26th, 2015  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRotc_cadet
The idea of military schools, JROTC and ROTC is to create more responsible citizens who know how to handle themselves and learn the value of respect, how to earn it and how to give it. The goal is not to have more enlistments in the branches of the service, but to make better citizens out of younger Americans like me. Also in my opinion it is one of the most fun programs you can have in schools. Yes there is discipline and other things that some people belive aren't fun. But once you join and have a open mind about it or are looking for it then it becomes fun.
I am sure sure that is what the brochure says word for word but I doubt any of these programs are being run for any other purpose than to draw kids into a military life which is not necessarily a bad thing for those that want it and as long as it isn't a requirement then I see no problem with these programs.
 


Similar Topics
Does the military belong in schools?
Reclass to 11B and Army schools
Schools after AIT