Does not being politically correct make me "un-American

Jason Bourne

nowadays many people consider me "un-American" because i believe that a man called Jesus Christ came and died for my sins, i am considered "un-American" cause i believe that a man should be married to ONE(NUMERO UNO) WOMAN(FEMALE) that he loves with all his heart not 50 and vice-versa, i am "un-American" cause i don't believe that Joe Francis is a stand-up guy, i am "un-American" cause i don't think that Howard Stern, Eminem, and Pablo Escobar are good role models for kids or for anyone for that matter, i am "un-American" because i don't think that the ACLU, KKK, and NAMBLA are legitimate organizations, i am "un-American" because i don't think that rapists, pedophiles, and serial killers deserve a second chance in life(do their victims who live get to make the memories disappear??), i am "un-American" cause i want to own guns, shoot guns, and use guns in the event that my family or those that i care about are in danger, i am "un-American" because i think that a child should be planned and prepared for so that he/she doesn't grow up knowing only one parent because the other went to get a pack of cigarettes 4 years ago, i am "un-American" because i don't think that we should kill unborn children, i am "un-American" because i don't think that America should just sit by and watch other nations be oppressed, i am "un-American" because i support the "war-mongering" soldiers of this great country, i am "un-American" because i think that we should send the ACLU to Iraq for a couple weeks and see if they change their minds once they look at the real world of war, i am "un-American" because i believe that people who really want to change the country should stop whining about what is wrong and do their part to make it better or just leave, i am "un-American" because i am proud of my Polish, German, Greek, and Native American heritage.

I personally believe myself to be an American and many others see me that way too, but i am wondering if i am the "un-American" or if those around me are?

Hell no, to my opinion being "American" doesn't mean without your own opinion. It would be a horrible place if everybody had the same views and beliefs. True unanimity can only come from multiplicity. If your values aren't a threat to public order or specific people you can have them. Disagreement isn't a bad thing to have either as long as you can resolve it by peaceful means.

Who's to judge what's "un-American"?

I think it is an emotive term used as a personal attack against someone because they hold divergent views.

if you are loyal to, and are proud of America, you are not Un-American. See the advantage of a democracy, is you can have these opinons and say them openly.
Also i'd say your an idiot if you did like Eminem. That guy is a complete f :cen: ing moron

interesting that you have picked values (monogamy, specific role models, extreme organisations, birth control, opression of nations etc) that pretty much everyone would naturally agree with, thus distancing yourself from those who disagree and calling them "un-american"

a highly unoriginal attempt at patriotism IMO
stick to flag waving

i thought it was the american way to be open minded and accepting of all and everyones right to have an opinion, whether you agree with it or not. sadly, this seems to be slipping, and the groups are becoming more and more polarised with less and less tolerant

Locke said:
interesting that you have picked values (monogamy, specific role models, extreme organisations, birth control, opression of nations etc) that pretty much everyone would naturally agree with, thus distancing yourself from those who disagree and calling them "un-american"

a highly unoriginal attempt at patriotism IMO
stick to flag waving

i thought it was the american way to be open minded and accepting of all and everyones right to have an opinion, whether you agree with it or not. sadly, this seems to be slipping, and the groups are becoming more and more polarised with less and less tolerant

he never said people cant have their own opinions. lets take the issue of abortion for example. if you want to have an abortion, go ahead. im not gonna stop you. but i will tell you that what you are doing is wrong... not legal or illegal, but wrong. The way i interpreted Jason's post was that just by telling someone that what they're doing is wrong, they are being called closed-minded, un-american, and all that. theres a difference between saying, "Dont do it." and, "What you are going to do is wrong."

so essentialy its kinda like reverse discrimination here. were not the closed minded people. the closed minded people are the ones who tell us were closed minded. its paradoxial i know. but think about it. who is more closed minded, the one who says something is wrong, or the one who says you are not allowed to think something is wrong?

join the ranks of people who have some common sense, you might not always be popular with certain groups of people but you will find on the quite more people will agre with you than those that don't

Why not add a third Behemoth?

theres a difference between saying, "Dont do it." and, "What you are going to do is wrong."

The first one is disallowing things and only the law enforcers can do that. The second one is condescending; who are you to judge what is right or wrong? I would choose to say: "I think that what you are going to do is wrong" or "in my opinion that is wrong".

These two leave room for a dialogue. The first two always rule one out you can't get closer together the way.

I, as an American have the right to agree with everything you have said, and I, as an American have every right to disagree with what you said. But I believe, IMHO, that if I told you that you don't have the right to think one way then you are un-american. IMO God gave us free will, and its not my place to judge. God holds the final judgement.

running on 3 hours of sleep, so if this isn't coherent then I will gladly edit it or repost something similar......um to those people who call you un-american...they can burn. :twisted:

Back