Does History Repeat Itself?

Things tend to go in cycles.

As long as human nature hasn't changed then history will tend to repeat itself.

I don't think human nature has changed.

for a race like the ancient jews well acquainted with warfare, the mantra of Ecclesiastes may be in fact the end text for the historian.... there is nothing new under the sun.

Of course, as was said in Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, history is an endless waltz; War, Peace, Revolution.

Things just keep getting worse and worse, 'till they get all the way around, and then everything turns out alright.

I would not say history repeating but history reveals future.

I think it does easily. Leaders make mistakes at the same places that people before them. Tactics wise it does definitely.

History has a way of repeating itself

Compare the Philippines campaign of the Spanish-American War to the current Iraq conflict and you will find a bunch of similarities.

The more things change, the more they stay they same.

You bet it's a cycle. Everything works in a cycle... this is why in so many cultures the circle is such an important shape. A circle, or a thing in revolution. It's silly to think that the idea of the round earth was invented relatively recently in the West. Most established civilizations realized this fact before Jesus stepped on the earth.

I would have to say yes in some parts such as war i mean people will always want power so no matter what there will be fighting..... but as for other parts of history i really couldent tell you .... i will have to check into it

yes it does, i just remembered discussing this not too long ago with my CT prof and we came up with so many example that apparently i can't think of a single one.

Every situation is new, even if there are similarities. Therefor every new situation will follow an inevitable path of arguments...

"Don't do this - remember what happened to X!"
"Yes, but you cannot compare X to Y, because this differs"
"No it doesn't!"
"Yes it does!"
;)

Humanity has proven incapable of remaining at peace, yet in the midst of war, it is peace that they crave.

In very general terms, history does repeat itself. In specific terms, no it does not.

There is the Lincoln/Kennedy connection, The 20 years Factor which means The US President Bush has to Almost die or die in office (maybe the pretzel incident counts) and the russian 100 years ( my grand daddy always said that by 2015 the commies will be back)

Back