Does Capitalism Really Need Democracy??

Does Capitalism Really Need Democracy to Be the Best it Can Be??

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

• No, The Two Are Completely Unrelated

• Total voters

godofthunder9010

Because the USA is a very democratic nation and also the most productive economy in the world ATM, it is sometimes assumed that freedom and capitalism go hand in hand. I'm not sure I understand the connection though. Hong Kong (before its return to the PRC) and Singapore are examples of very capitalistic places that were very very strict and not very free. Nazi Germany was very non-democratic, yet boasted a very Capitialistic and very productive economy.

Yet the greatest success stories of Capitalism are some very free, very Democratic nations. The UK of the 19th Century, the United States in the 20th Century and today, Japan post-WW2, post WW2 Germany, etc. Is this a coincidence or not?

Add S.Korea and Taiwan to your list too. They 4 were called the "4 Little Dragons of Asia".

If you are talking about getting rich, then it does not matter at all if you are democratic or communistic.

Majority of people are not interested in Politics at all, they only care making a living and having a happy family, only those guys and gals who read too much books wanna talk about politics.

I disagree. I think most people are in a way interested in politics. If you sit down for a conversation in Korea, one of the all time favorite topics is politics. And that's with any old joe.
In the US, talk of politics is quite rampant too.
This is often so because politics determines the way the country will follow its game plan (ideology). It also determines where the country's going to spend its money and that means short term and long term results and consequences that will affect the general population.
A population that doesn't keep up with politics is one that isn't very aware of their own world.

I think, when a country becomes wealthy enough, democracy almost becomes an inevitability because the people will want to have a say in how the decisions are made. The best way to do this is for them to select their own leaders since no one has time to sit down and start voting for individual bills etc.

I think, when a country becomes wealthy enough, democracy almost becomes an inevitability because the people will want to have a say

Exactly my point.

First when most people are just busy and can only be busy with making a living, they don't have time to BS on politics.

Then, when you don't worry about making living anymore, then you start to talk politics.
Just like Chinese saying:
When you have eaten enough then you start to think about having some good saix with some good looking women lol

One problem that that pops up while nations are developing is the little problem of Greed Company Owners. Unless regulated, they inevitably seek to exploit their workers to the greatest degree that they can get away with. In a totalitarian society, these rich SOB's can pay off politicians to look the other way and have their fat pocketbooks heavily involved in the political system of that country. Because the poor working class of society has no direct say in the government, this situation tends to remain unresolved until it leads to a Bloody Revolution and overthrow of the government. I worry that Russia might be headed that way in the near future, but hopefully not.

In a Representative Democracy, such exploitation generally resolves itself because politicians have to keep the poor working class happy in order to win any election. After all, there is a lot more of them than rich SOB's.

Does that lead to Capitalism working at it very best though?

Now China is an interesting situation. You still have a somewhat totalitarianist government (Yes I know, its changing) but in their case, the remnants of the beliefs of Communism are there. That makes those politicians idealogically opposed to benefitting the rich businessman. It will be interesting to see how that situation develops, but the potential for payoffs and similar corruption is still probable.

Yes alot of those private company owners are greedy at the beginning.
But like in China, more and more rich people are starting to donate money to social warefare like building schools, helping poor people.

Also, if the working class has too much a say in the beginning phase of a country's developing, it can also be a problem. We gotta to find out a sorta balance there.

I want to point out the democracy in India, it is good, no doubt, but is it very efficient and then is it really doing much good to India's development or actually in the contrary?

True, Fascism and similar regimes seem to be better and getting thing STARTED, but the Democratic nations of the world can easily beat the.

But about India in particular? I'm not up to date enough on their economic and political current situation to offer comment. Maybe Xion or somebody can fill us in on some better specifics.

Yes, but Capitalism definitely doesn't need democracy. The U.S. is a shining example of that. Canada needs to learn that. Stupid Liberals.

maybe?

what i don' get is america are always going ona bout being the land of the free when in reality it is not its the opposite. Laws democracy etc

there is no such thing as a free country no more, not with money and polotics and people trying to get the upper hand.

Anyway thats what i think

Re: maybe?

Anya1982 said:
what i don' get is america are always going ona bout being the land of the free when in reality it is not its the opposite. Laws democracy etc

there is no such thing as a free country no more, not with money and polotics and people trying to get the upper hand.

Anyway thats what i think
It's not that difficult a concept at all really. The US hardly the "opposite" of free. In fact that comment is rather insulting. Our laws allow us the freedom to seek our own happiness. A free country means that anyone is free to choose where they live and how they live so long as they don't infringe upon someone else's freedom to do the same. We can say what we want about our leaders without fear. If we don't like one of them, we are free to vote him out of office. If we think we could do a better job, we are free to run for the office ourselves. We can pick how we wish to earn our living. We are free to go to public or private schools. We are free to choose our doctors and our hospitals.
Sure it's more work to find out things about the doctors or politicians or schools or professions. But if you're too lazy to do that, maybe a capitalist democracy is not for you. If you're lazy you'll come out on the short end of the deal every time but you're free to pick yourself up and put in the effort to better your life and your position as many times as you'd like.
I can't believe I even have to explain this concept. You work for what you want. The more you work, the more you get. If you want things handed to you like your Mom did when you were a baby then this is not for you.

In essence every country is free but when you violate a rule you have to face the consequences. There is a saying that goes, "it's only illegal if you get caught." It makes sense, but I'm not trying to reinforce bad behavior ;)

Hi,

I want to point out the democracy in India, it is good, no doubt, but is it very efficient and then is it really doing much good to India's development or actually in the contrary?

I want to meantion one thing here India isen't Still totaly Capitalism ..................and very recently it has opened it's markets for foreign investments.

When India got Independence it wasen't feasible to just have a free markets ...................so a Mixed Economy was formed Mix of Captilism and state owned ..............All the Things were divided into Three Sectors Govetnment Owned , Semi-Government , and Private Sector ...........Most of the Important things Govern,ent reserved for it self................now that more Money has flown in Government is selling it's stakes in most of the sectors and more and more Sectors are being selled to private sector.

I wouldn't say democracy is hindiring progress ........But yes if it would have been Dictatorship or Communism no doubt the pace would have been Faster .................but at what cost ? :roll:

Cheers
-=SF_13=-

Dread don't lecture me i know what i am saying.......................every one is free to do what thye want i ain't stupid like you think. But nothing in this world is free no more....................if this world was free there'd be no laws, no punishment no hold backs no problems with having to pay..............lets face it "free" is a lost concept of this day.

Sure yu can be free to roam to live but there is a price to pay with every thing you do...............hense the "free" mode has gone out the door.

No need to explain to me dread i ian't a 10yr old...............

Anya I didn't call you stupid. What you're describing is chaos. No laws and no punishment would be an insane situation. Societies are based on laws and always have been. Lack of laws is lack of order, not freedom. BTW, I don't appreciate your anti U.S. comments. I don't mind if anyone expresses support for their own country but leave mine alone.
If you don't want replies to your posts, don't post them. :roll:

don't turn this on me "dread" and don't spoil this thread....................plus who are you to tell me no to comment on...............its called a right of speech i see if you have a problem with people expressing their opinions this is not a place for you.....................
This thread is expressing an opinion on a different country and culture so if you wanna makea statement be prepared to get any comment back. I am not anti american i am stating what i have seen with my own eyes and heard with my own ears all round the world

Back