does anyone think that hitler was a very smart man

Hitler was not technically a "war" hero. He served in some fierce fighting and survived... thats really the most he accomplished. He was recognized by the military as such a respected man because he would go undercover in german military barracks and find enemy communists and report them to the government. Then he was assigned the small german party called a name that does not recollect to my mind... His way of speaking was what made him who he was, not his deeds in the war. He did not show uncommon valor in WWI or anything like that.

Doppleganger said:
BTW to answer what I meant by Germany being the most important country in Europe at that time. That is not to say other countries weren't important (I am British after all). But being at the centre of Europe, it's population size and industrial and engineering might, all make it the most important country in Europe in terms of its influence on it's neighbours and the wider world at large.
I still don't agree (I'm a stubborn man, if I want to be :D ) The central position of Germany has it's bad sides too. World economy wise, they where in a bad position back then. The best way to ship cargo was by boat. (It still is for large amounts.) Now France, Belgium and the Netherlands all had the upper hand when it came to harbours. And don't forget, back then these countries still had their colonies, so they weren't as small as they appear. And Germany still was suffering under sanctions placed upon them after losing the first WW. No, Germany wasn't at all the important country you say it was.

Doppleganger said:
Let's not get all nationalistic here. Some countries are clearly more important than others in terms of the influence they have on others. That's a fact of life.
Granted, but I wasn't being nationalistic, I just didn't agree with you.. :p[/quote]

You're right to say that the German economy in the Weimar Republic days was in dire straights and that they wre still crippled by the terms of the Versaille Treaty. However, you cannot dispute the fact that since it was united, Germany has always been one of the major influences in Europe. One only has to look at history to see that the the Holy Roman Empire was sited basically where Germany is today. The geographical position that Germany takes up makes it very important as it sits at the hub of Europe, able to influence it's neighbours both East and West. Germany has access to the coast and therefore shipping lanes, so I don't follow your argument that France, Holland and Belgium were more important simply because they had better harbours.

Your argument that all these countries had colonies doesn't really hold up either. In the time period we're talking about, colonialism was coming to an end. The only nation that really gained a measure of real power from colonies was Great Britain, a nation crippled and scarred by the sacrifices of WW1. France too were not exactly in a great state after WW1 so it wasn't just Germany that was in a period of deep recession - it was Europe wide.

Even if Germany was crippled economically at the time, that geographical position, the population size, it's history and reputation (both good and bad) all made Germany still very important. Why do you think the terms of the Versaille Treaty were so harsh on Germany? It was a measure of the influence that country still generated that made the Allies impose such unworkable terms.

I honestly think that you're letting your own predjudices cloud your opinion, hence the reason why I thought you were being a little nationalistic.

But anyway, this is WAY off topic!

I agree. Its way off topic...but everyones forgiven before a soldier goes into battle. But let get back to mr hitler and his intelligence please. :D

Wouldnt that be an interesting topic , if it did not erupt into euro-civil war I on the forum?? :mrgreen:

Mark Conley said:
Wouldnt that be an interesting topic , if it did not erupt into euro-civil war I on the forum?? :mrgreen:

Hee hee .. YAY! Oh wait, that's bad. Sorry, continue. :oops:

1217 said:
airmanpatroler said:
Hitler was so smart that he was dumb. The way he could turn a whole nation against an entire people, but that ultimatly killed him. He was a madman who got lucky that the soviets didnt get to him... I would have loved to see that
:shock: :shock: :shock:
This is what that same airmanpatroler said in the '"What happened to Hitler" thread:
airmanpatroler said:
Hitler survived and was captured and tortured to death by russian soldiers
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1787
I'm confused here......

Dude I was only joking on my last quote

IrishWizard said:
Hitler was not technically a "war" hero. He served in some fierce fighting and survived... thats really the most he accomplished. He was recognized by the military as such a respected man because he would go undercover in german military barracks and find enemy communists and report them to the government. Then he was assigned the small german party called a name that does not recollect to my mind... His way of speaking was what made him who he was, not his deeds in the war. He did not show uncommon valor in WWI or anything like that.
I didn't mean to say he actually was a war hero. I'meant that it had his advantages to be able to claim that he had fought in the first ww. that's why I used these; " " ;)

about the off-topic discussion. I apologise.
I made a new topic for it right here.

At this time it was quite hard to find somebody in germany who has not been fighting in a war. WWI or the german french war.......
so that thing was not that important

Guys I know this off topic...but one thing that might help in determining when you are being serious and just joking is to use the smileys after the post.

this means its a joke... :D this means you are not... :evil:

back to the topic

:D

1)Hitlers fanatic beleaf in god and 3 raich brought him on ideas of superior nation and so on-mad man
2)In order to achive what he belived in,he made mad plans
3)But the thing is that in his army there were men of great talent for warfare,great scientists,generals........

So the point is,its not the hitler who was smart,it was his henchmen.The only problem was that they were under his command and a lot of their great plans were rejected by hitler.

Back