does anyone think that hitler was a very smart man

you know..they tried so many times to kill him while in office...a plane he flew in was rigged with a bomb..didnt go off. Von Staffenburgs attempt with a bomb...didnt work. The US office of Strategic Services (OSS) tried to have the type of hormones slipped into his food so he'd have the attributes of a woman...didnt come off.

Face it...the guy was very very lucky. :shock:

yeah...
there were so many german resistance groups
and they all tried to kill him...
even his staff officers tried to kill him....
no chance...
he survived everything, came accidently to late fo the bomb, and so on....
just a damn lucky bastard...

i actually shot a bullet into the past and it missed him by two inches. come on....... like marksman said no one is THAT lucky

he was that lucky....
for example a short time after hitlers election, a simple worker tried to kill him. Hitler held every wendesday a speech to his nsdap pals in their traditional party pub. severral weeks this man hid in that pub every day shortly before they closed. he hollowed out the column behind the speakers table a bit more and carried the wood every day out, when the pub opened again the next day. He did that several weeks long, until the hole was big enough to hide a bomb. He put it in and set the time fuse for the next day, a wednesday, when the nsdap usualy had their meeting and hitler would stay directly behinf the bomb.
The fuse failed and the bomb exploded 30min to early.
And there were many other well planned asassinations like that....
want to hear more?

Hitler believed it was "Divine Providence" which kept him alive and that obviously a higher power must want him to live so he can carry out his "mission".

How come no one just whipped out a gun and shot him? (I thought about it and answered it myself.)

Correct if im wrong, but "In WW1 a US soldier had Hilter in his crosshairs, but didnt shoot him because Hilter was only a private then."

I have heard that story to darkmb101. But the one that has stuck with me while reading some books about Hitler was in an assault he was in during WWI he tripped and fell onto the ground and as he fell a bullet passed through his top, right shoulder uniform and hit the man behind him. He then stood up and ran about 10 feet and 2 seconds later a shell hit exactly where he had been. Face it guys, he was a LUCKY man. He survived a mustard gas attack also. Man hes a lucky bastard! He must of had a few 4-leaf clovers :p

Darkmb101 said:
Correct if im wrong, but "In WW1 a US soldier had Hilter in his crosshairs, but didnt shoot him because Hilter was only a private then."

I've heard the same story but with a British soldier, who did not shoot Hitler because he was wounded and the British soldier thought it unchivalrous.

Von Staffenburgs' bomb was moved behind an oak table support, which shielded Hitler from the blast.

Well i gues that that guy killed milions of people ;)

Com'on guys! There's no doubt that in many ways Hitler was a very smart guy. You just don't gain control of the most important country in Europe and lead it to almost total European domination if you don't have some kind of savvy upstairs.

Hitler had *severe* psychological faults and was a very sick and delusional man (especially in the last year of the war) but was he stupid? Not a chance.

And he wasn't all that bad a strategist. Many of his ideas were supported by the top military minds of the time. He 'got' what Blitzkrieg could do and what combined arms could do and that is more than you can say for respected Generals like Von Rundstedt and Von Kluge. He listened to Guderian and allowed him to develop and build up the German Panzer arm. That showed intelligence and foresight on his part.

Hitler's problems were that his own *severe* psychological faults got in the way of any good judgement he had. Sometimes he was right but often he was wrong and he and Germany paid the ultimate price for it.

Doppleganger said:
You just don't gain control of the most important country in Europe
I object! :evil: There's no reason to call Germany "the most important country in Europe" I'm not making any claims to which country would earn that title, but I don't think we should use that phrase to describe Germany.

And he wasn't all that bad a strategist. Many of his ideas were supported by the top military minds of the time. He 'got' what Blitzkrieg could do and what combined arms could do and that is more than you can say for respected Generals like Von Rundstedt and Von Kluge

Well, thats one way to look at it....But I think that he was a radical man and therefor leaned towards the new and radical military minds in germany...He was prone on radical solutions, and towards he end of the war supported some of the most redicules development plans in weaonery history.

As to his strategic thinking, he invaded russia for pits sake, thats the worst blunder you can make.

You have a point 1217 however, maybe we had better get doppleganger to clarify by what he meant as important. maybe he ment strategic location wise? population wise? ect ect...

In reality...the whole of europe was sunk pretty down with an economic depression and all..just like the USA was during the 30s. I think France and Germany were the first to come out of that economic disaster.

anyhow lets see how he meant it. :D

IrishWizard said:
I have heard that story to darkmb101. But the one that has stuck with me while reading some books about Hitler was in an assault he was in during WWI he tripped and fell onto the ground and as he fell a bullet passed through his top, right shoulder uniform and hit the man behind him. He then stood up and ran about 10 feet and 2 seconds later a shell hit exactly where he had been. Face it guys, he was a LUCKY man. He survived a mustard gas attack also. Man hes a lucky bastard! He must of had a few 4-leaf clovers :p
the swastika looks kind of like four leaf clover :lol: :mrgreen:

sherman105 said:
And he wasn't all that bad a strategist. Many of his ideas were supported by the top military minds of the time. He 'got' what Blitzkrieg could do and what combined arms could do and that is more than you can say for respected Generals like Von Rundstedt and Von Kluge

Well, thats one way to look at it....But I think that he was a radical man and therefor leaned towards the new and radical military minds in germany...He was prone on radical solutions, and towards he end of the war supported some of the most redicules development plans in weaonery history.

As to his strategic thinking, he invaded russia for pits sake, thats the worst blunder you can make.

Yup, a blunder caused by the excesses of his own flawed personality and his intense hatred of the Slavic peoples. I never said he was a master strategist now, just that he wasn't as dumb as some of you seem to want to believe.

And anyway, 1941 *was* the best time to invade the Soviet Union. German military planners had estimated that Germany's potential enemies would gradually began to catch up in hardware and in operational capability, especially in the air, by 1943 onwards. The Red Army was still weak after the 1930 Stalinist purges of senior commanders and the Wehrmacht was at the peak of it's powers.

You can say that Operation Barbarossa was a huge, perhaps reckless, gamble by Hitler, but it began very well and had it not been for Hitler's own meddling in the final objectives, the unusually heavy rainfall that turned the steppes into seas of mud and the coldest winter for 140 years, Germany might have succeeded even in 1941. It's easy to say with hindsight that such an action was folly. Hindsight can make anyone a great strategist. :p

BTW to answer what I meant by Germany being the most important country in Europe at that time. That is not to say other countries weren't important (I am British after all). But being at the centre of Europe, it's population size and industrial and engineering might, all make it the most important country in Europe in terms of its influence on it's neighbours and the wider world at large.

Let's not get all nationalistic here. Some countries are clearly more important than others in terms of the influence they have on others. That's a fact of life.

Posted: Thu May 27, 2004 21:21 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IrishWizard wrote:
I have heard that story to darkmb101. But the one that has stuck with me while reading some books about Hitler was in an assault he was in during WWI he tripped and fell onto the ground and as he fell a bullet passed through his top, right shoulder uniform and hit the man behind him. He then stood up and ran about 10 feet and 2 seconds later a shell hit exactly where he had been. Face it guys, he was a LUCKY man. He survived a mustard gas attack also. Man hes a lucky bastard! He must of had a few 4-leaf clovers
the swastika looks kind of like four leaf clover
the thing is that swastika was a peace sign before hitler took it for insignia

IrishWizard said:
If Hitler was the lucky one, then you could argue that there probably were more people that could have done what he did in the 1930s an 40s, but didn't because they didn't survive wwI.
Don't forget that being a "war hero" did help Hitler to gain respect and power among his followers an his military personnel. Soldiers always have more respect for political leaders that have been in the military
themselves.

Mark Conley said:
In reality...the whole of europe was sunk pretty down with an economic depression and all..just like the USA was during the 30s. I think France and Germany were the first to come out of that economic disaster.
At first it looked like Germany was doing better, but that was mainly because Hitler was printing new money on a 24/7 bases. The inflation skyrocketed, which Hitler blamed on the Jews, and than the only thing he could do was to go to war. He had the German population working again, but the money wasn't worth :cen: .

Doppleganger said:
BTW to answer what I meant by Germany being the most important country in Europe at that time. That is not to say other countries weren't important (I am British after all). But being at the centre of Europe, it's population size and industrial and engineering might, all make it the most important country in Europe in terms of its influence on it's neighbours and the wider world at large.
I still don't agree (I'm a stubborn man, if I want to be :D ) The central position of Germany has it's bad sides too. World economy wise, they where in a bad position back then. The best way to ship cargo was by boat. (It still is for large amounts.) Now France, Belgium and the Netherlands all had the upper hand when it came to harbours. And don't forget, back then these countries still had their colonies, so they weren't as small as they appear. And Germany still was suffering under sanctions placed upon them after losing the first WW. No, Germany wasn't at all the important country you say it was.

Doppleganger said:
Let's not get all nationalistic here. Some countries are clearly more important than others in terms of the influence they have on others. That's a fact of life.
Granted, but I wasn't being nationalistic, I just didn't agree with you.. :p

Back