Does anyone of you fight?

Ted

I am just wondering if there are many martial art fighters here. And if so, what kind of martial art is it you do?

The point is: I am looking for some good tips on how to land punches during a fight. In Kyokushin Karate we are allowed to punch any where except the head. I want to soften my opponent up by giving him body shots and punches to the shoulders, upper arms and elbows. Somehow I hit his arms plenty but I can't seem to penetrate his cover good enough to hurt him...

Do any of you have some good pointers?

Yes I have been doing various martial arts for over ten years now.
The head is exactly the place you should be throwing your punches.

I have done whole load of matrial arts training courses and would not single out any for such reason- all punches landed is about your ability to control situation, have deception etc...
I would recommend Ju-jitsu, or more specifically for landing effective punches- Aikido- Yes! it is an defensive art, but control of situation, body reaction predicaments would be the way for you to get to that zone
uh, forgotten nin-jitsu too

Last edited:
You totally left out Krav Maga as well.
Did Aikido for a while. You can learn that for punching if you want your ass handed to you.

I did 2 years of Judo and one year kickboxing. Had to quit with a knee problem. Its "solved" now but i havent restared yet, and i dont know if ever will.

I did Judo for awhile, but I have long since stopped. My new martial art is called "marriage" which my wife and I regularly practice and she kicks my butt with it.

Cant stop hearing good things about Krav Maga, its what NYPD teaches now.

Last edited:
Never fight for sport.
IF I fight I fight to win, that means hurting my opponent as much as possible while taking as little damage to my own anatomy as possible.
If the head is off limits hit the larynx hard, that will soften him up..

//KJ.

Last edited:
Well, I did some Taekwondo when I was younger. I'm doing Kumdo nowadays. Wears armor, get the wooden sword, and hit the opponent like he**. I really enjoy it.

When I was in the Navy I was trained to fight by the instructors in the several schools and programs I went into, but they didn't teach us to win a match, they taught us to kill you, then go eat lunch

Perhaps I didn't specify my problem properly. During fights I am confronted with my inability to really hurt my opponent with body shots. Sadly, my opponents rarely seem to have this problem with me. So I am looking for details to improve my punches and upgrade them from proper into effective weapons.
So I am looking for tips on how to turn your hips, keep your elbows downwards instead of perpendicular to your torso, twisting the knuckles after impact etcetera. Can anyone help me out with this kind of info? Or is it just repeating the technique for another 500.000 times?

mmarsh said:
My new martial art is called "marriage" which my wife and I regularly practice and she kicks my butt with it.
I have tried the lighter version, just living together. That was harder than many of the training hours I spent in a dojo.

Repeating and developing your exiting training program + I believe to have answered my opinion about specifics in my previous post;)

In a bar fight against Mongo the gorilla I usually keep my upper arm close to my ribs and stand sideways, makeing myself a thiner target, also I keep mioving to both increase my chances of a galnceing blow to m body and to try to confuse the opponent, when I see what I think is an opening, I strike fast as I can and hard as I can trying to inflict the most damage as possible. Works, I win some and yea I have lost some.

I take Jiu-Jitsu, and I find it to be a great hybrid martial art. Aside from punches and kicks, you learn throws, locks (arm, leg,), controlling techniques, grappling and chokes. Nothing says compliance more than a rear-naked choke.

Punching can be useful, but in a real scenario you can seriously hurt your hand. Gouge the eyes, punch the throat, or choke the person.

Back