Does anybody have some advice on basic?

My advice even though you're probably in BCT right now. Keep your mouth shut. then keep your eyes and ears open. Never be the first to volunteer, but never be the last either. In the end Drill Sergeants are just people. the put their pants on everyday just like you.

I'm in the same position. I'm shipping out June 21st. At first I was scared terdless, but I quickly realized a few things. First of all, I realized that much of Basic will be getting over yourself. When you run, your legs start to hurt. The difference in Basic however, is that you run anyway. You're going to be sore when you wake up every morning for a while, but you gotta do it anyway. I also realized that while it is important to put your best foot forward and do your best, you will screw up. Everyone will screw up royally at one point or another. You just have to get back up and press on. I'm sure they will let you know what you're doing wrong with emphasis, and you will learn very quickly how to fix it.

I was talking to a friend about Basic and he gave me a few pointers.
1. You need to look for things that you can do to make it easier. For example, when he went through they would only use two of the seven toilets. Then when they had to "clean them with their toothbrush" they would only need to clean two.
2. Work as a team, even if you hate the person next to you. He said the first day the Drill Sergeant told everyone to drop their bags. When they did, he told them to pick them up and drop them again. He did this a few times, until they worked together and dropped them at the same time, like a team.
3. They will do things to mess with our minds. They will break us down. according to my friend (who is now a Ranger in the 2nd, by the way) told me to not let it get to my head. Just to suck it up and keep going.

I'm sure my experience will be much different from his, and I am going to keep my mind wide open about it, but when the time comes, I’m going to do my best, do what they say, and suck it up. It's only nine weeks... it will end. Eventually.

I'm sure my experience will be much different from his, and I am going to keep my mind wide open about it, but when the time comes, I’m going to do my best, do what they say, and suck it up. It's only nine weeks... it will end. Eventually.

You've got the right attitude going in. I know you have hopes of becoming a Ranger, so learn the Ranger Creed if you haven't already .. adhere to it even while you're in a conventional unit. It will make you a better soldier. Take that go-hard attitude with you wherever you go, be you in BCT, or on KP at your unit .. you'll have a better time, and potentionally bring out the best in others as well, while neverminding the naysayers (you'll see plenty of them).

Back