Does America hate it's armed forces?




 
--
Does America hate it's armed forces?
 
March 18th, 2008  
Yossarian
 
 

Topic: Does America hate it's armed forces?


Does America hate it's armed forces?
I watched the video of the U.S. Marine throwing a puppy of a cliff in Iraq. Also I understood that this action is a negative one, on behalf of the USMC and the U.S. presence in Iraq.

But then, the response videos.College kids, and people that look like they are to lazy to open a book and just dogmatically scream blood for oil condemned everything, the U.S. , Bush, the U.S. military, I wanted to just jump through my computer screen and knock their lights out.

:fire devi:

But, I kept a cool head, and after winding down, I realized that they would eat that up to. (after realizing what I have said about some types of people, and like the USMC, just one rouge does not mean that they are all bad.) I asked myself this, is this thing like.......? Vietnam?

Not in the sense that the military side is taking many years, well, just 5, but, that the general American public does not agree with the war. And that some of the American youth, literally are broadcasting their hate for the U.S. government's actions, and are showing great distaste for the military?

I just do not know what is exactly happening in this country, what will happen? There are so called (resistance movements) (like A.R.M) Resistance against what? What? Are some people are convinced that they are living in a fascist country? By all means, if they think that, then they have not seen fascist.

I keep seeing young people and others jumping to conclusions, not thinking things through, and screaming down with Bush whenever they can. This goes against almost all of my opinions and beliefs.

Milforum members, all I ask is your insight on this matter, I am not concerned about the stability of our nation, or the stability of our presence in Iraq, I am concerned about some aspects of the U.S. youth, and the projection of the our world influence. What would happen if the coalition left Iraq? Let it drift away in a sea of foreign policy failure, what will the U.S. do? Become a paper tiger, militarily paralyzes because the American public does not have the will to fight any more, no matter what the circumstances?

Please, I accept responsibilities to my words above, if it requires me to be banned, then I will not fight that, all I ask is that you read...
March 18th, 2008  
justin1552
 
 
I'm one of the youth, and I agree that people my age will heckle the recruiters that come to our school and say things that should not be said, even with the right to freedom of speech. And all the while, me and my friends who are planning on joining the military, are watching with such disgust of our peers.

I hear all the time on the bus from the juniors and seniors that Bush is sending us on a path of destruction and anarchy. When Katrina first hit, that's all they blamed it on. Some of the black kids were arguing about it and the one thing that was said that stuck in my mind was, "Bush hates black people.". They always say, things like favoring one branch over another, and when I ask them if they plan on joining, they say, "No way! I don't want to get shot!". How can you talk about a branch like that, and not even plan to join? That right there is a disrespect to the militaries of the world.

I'm sorry but I need to cool off. This just makes me livid.
March 18th, 2008  
Del Boy
 
Sukio - I sympathise with your concerns. As it happens, latest news reports tell us that whilst 70 % of iraquis are not happy at having a foreign force there, actually only 30 % of them want American troops to leave yet.

An insurgent fighter , ex Iraq army, expressed the opinion that in his opinion, whenthe Americans leave, they will get a worse monster than Sadam, and that Iraq will burn even more than now.
--
Does America hate it's armed forces?
March 18th, 2008  
The Other Guy
 
 
As a high schooler I have seen no such things happen.

I see people turn down recruiters but never intentionally treat them badly.

More of what I've seen is general indifference. No one cares. People say that they don't want to vote because their vote doesn't matter and that they'll just end up voting for some guy who ends up getting impeached. I find this rediculous and stupid.

Mind you, I do think that Bush is one of the worst things that's happened to the US in a long time, but I don't blame a hurricane on him. (I blame the crappy reaction )

I think most people realize that it's not the soldier's fault where he goes or what he's told to do. I've seen more backlash against Bush than against the armed services.

(Am I taking this calmly? I think I'm taking this calmly.)
March 18th, 2008  
Yossarian
 
 
Mr. The Other Guy, that is the best way to take things, calmly. Although sometimes it makes me angry to hear what some people are saying, about the men and women who are spending months, and risking very literally their lives, to help keep not only the freedoms of the U.S., but the economic channels and shipping lanes open for our nation's people to enjoy a industrialized society.

I just don't feel comfortable hearing fellow citizens talk bad about the military, and the government in particular. First, it frustrates me, to hear people saying "the war is lost, we should not have gone in their in the first place, we are losing" I ask, how is the war is lost? "we are only over their for oil" And I ask them, back it up. Usually I get the answer along the lines of "Bush is the worst thing to happen to this country". And they don't answer.

People do not want to take the five or so minutes to think about the war. Or why you should not disrespect our troops. When have our troops ever arrested someone without reason? Or committed wide looting, or a massive war crimes in a the middle east? See, they are not evil officials who are terrorizing the middle east, or are they poor souls forced into war only to be massacred in car bombings, and suicide bombers as the media suggest.

There are more logical reasons why we are in this war, why don't people just stop and think before screaming anarchy? Why do they sometimes go to extremes (as one young person did on youtube in response to the puppy incident) curse out our military and go into a immature cursing frenzy when, the United States Marine Corps, (which are a bunch of war criminals by his standards) admitted to the young Marine's wrong doings and condemned that young Marine's actions themselves, but in a formal manner.

Military forces in the international coalition in Iraq, and Afghanistan, are fighting to keep the war out of their nations, and preserve not only freedoms, but their ways of life. Why would you spit at them?
March 18th, 2008  
senojekips
 
 
It seems to be an unfortunate fact that, In peacetime the general public see the forces as a bottomless sinkhole for their hard earned tax dollars, this antagonism is further exacerbated in times when we fight a war where the whole country is not in total support.

Things like the puppy incident are nothing to do with the war, but are eagerly grabbed by those against the war as ammunition to further besmirch the forces.

Personally I feel that the person throwing the puppy should be charged under the Uniform Code of Military Justice for bringing his US Forces into disrepute, then publicly humiliated, not as a service member, but as a member of a "civilised" society.
March 19th, 2008  
FutureMedic
 
 
The people in my high school call me very stupid for wanting to serve. They say stuff like "Do you want to die?" and "We won't miss you if you get shot"...
March 19th, 2008  
senojekips
 
 
Pay no heed, you will find people like that everywhere in life. Obviously they are not your friends, so why take any notice.

Be proud of your decision and don't be sucked into "defending" your view. What you desire is both honourable and admirable, you don't have to justify your position.
March 19th, 2008  
The Other Guy
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukio
I just don't feel comfortable hearing fellow citizens talk bad about the military, and the government in particular. First, it frustrates me, to hear people saying "the war is lost, we should not have gone in their in the first place, we are losing" I ask, how is the war is lost? "we are only over their for oil" And I ask them, back it up. Usually I get the answer along the lines of "Bush is the worst thing to happen to this country". And they don't answer.
It's not that they're losing, it's more that they're not winning. We have no real goal that I can tell, so how do we know when we win?

Quote:
People do not want to take the five or so minutes to think about the war. Or why you should not disrespect our troops. When have our troops ever arrested someone without reason? Or committed wide looting, or a massive war crimes in a the middle east? See, they are not evil officials who are terrorizing the middle east, or are they poor souls forced into war only to be massacred in car bombings, and suicide bombers as the media suggest.
Agreed. It's not the soldier's fault.

Quote:
There are more logical reasons why we are in this war, why don't people just stop and think before screaming anarchy? Why do they sometimes go to extremes (as one young person did on youtube in response to the puppy incident) curse out our military and go into a immature cursing frenzy when, the United States Marine Corps, (which are a bunch of war criminals by his standards) admitted to the young Marine's wrong doings and condemned that young Marine's actions themselves, but in a formal manner.
So it was real? I couldn't really tell... all I can tell you is that my internet friends threw a fit...
March 19th, 2008  
Redleg
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukio
Please, I accept responsibilities to my words above, if it requires me to be banned, then I will not fight that, all I ask is that you read...
Why on earth should you get banned for that?

5. Almost all opinions are welcome, as long as they are well presented and in a respectful manner.
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum...aq_forum_rules
 


Similar Topics
Look at what the Chinese armed forces
Farewell Message to the US Armed Forces
The Differential Theory of US Armed Forces (Snake Model)
Turkish Armed Forces
Militias will disarm as Iraqi forces gain muscle