Does America hate it's armed forces?

I live in the suburbs of upstate New York. I don't know about the rest of the country, but around here all the teenagers I know still maintain the "AMERICA! F*** yeah!" attitude. They have the utmost respect for the armed forces, not because they are serving the country but because they kick ass. :firedevi:

The vast majority DO hate Bush (including myself). But there are also a few dedicated young republicans who do still try defend him. Most of my friends don't belong to either party, but hate all politicians equally.

So far two of my friends have joined up. One of them wants to be a Ranger and signed on for 7 years, but he's too fat and slow right now. The other is going to be a loader in an Abrams crew once he's finished with training.

Back in the day, before any of this happened, one of the kids in my 10th grade biology class told me he was joining. I asked something along the lines of "How can you risk your life for Iraqis? They have nothing to do with America." and he said "I gotta help our guys over there." I never looked at it the same way again.

I live in the suburbs of upstate New York. I don't know about the rest of the country, but around here all the teenagers I know still maintain the "AMERICA! F*** yeah!" attitude. They have the utmost respect for the armed forces, not because they are serving the country but because they kick ass. :firedevi:

The vast majority DO hate Bush (including myself). But there are also a few dedicated young republicans who do still try defend him. Most of my friends don't belong to either party, but hate all politicians equally.

So far two of my friends have joined up. One of them wants to be a Ranger and signed on for 7 years, but he's too fat and slow right now. The other is going to be a loader in an Abrams crew once he's finished with training.

Back in the day, before any of this happened, one of the kids in my 10th grade biology class told me he was joining. I asked something along the lines of "How can you risk your life for Iraqis? They have nothing to do with America." and he said "I gotta help our guys over there." I never looked at it the same way again.

I live in Jersey and a lot of the people my age will say they support the forces, and are very patriotic, but only when it's not extended this long. Ah well different states, different youths.

You can really see that in your area, the dialect of emotions can be different than other opinions and such of other areas, especially in a large country like the U.S.

Still, seeing some of the ridiculous and just plan stupid things that some minority protesters have done(like the attacks on the USMC recruiting offices in California) kinda makes you wonder.

"Do they know they are broadcasting to the world that they have no sense? And that it will be almost impossible for the level minded people to take them seriously"

After reading some of the opinion displayed in this thread, I thank the good Lord above, that I am not wasting my youth like those people. And the coalition?

I believe that the coalition is a perfect blend of military, and social and economic strength, and that with the countries involved, you could not make a better coalition any were in the world.

:salute:

My way of helping them is trying to bring them home...

It's that attitude that always ticked me off to no end when I was deployed (and still does). Sure, everyone wants to come home but the people in the military are first and foremost, fighters. Even when we're sent to do the dirty work of others who would much rather sit at home and snipe and gripe, we have a sense of pride and a sense of mission accomplishment. We willingly volunteer to go out into dirty and dangerous places and do nasty jobs that can't even begin to be imagined by those who have never been there. We don't ask a lot, we don't seek accolades, and we don't seek out the TV cameras. Most military personnel I know would much rather leave politics to politicians. The people who serve our military deserve our never ending support and never ending thanks. They don't want to be shackled by those who assume they know what they don't know. Our military recently suffered its 4000th KIA in this latest conflict not to mention the wounded. In my opinion, this generation of our fighting men and women deserve our greatest respect, support, and credit, especially considering all they have accomplished with the smallest military we've had since the 1930's.
I support our military too. I do it by sending them packages of things they need, writing them to show my support and supplying requested religious items for their use and keeping them in my own prayers. I am forever grateful for what they have done and for what they are doing. I am very proud of them.
Do we hate them Sukio, not by a long shot!

Last edited:
It's that attitude that always ticked me off to no end when I was deployed (and still does). Sure, everyone wants to come home but the people in the military are first and foremost, fighters. Even when we're sent to do the dirty work of others who would much rather sit at home and snipe and gripe, we have a sense of pride and a sense of mission accomplishment. We willingly volunteer to go out into dirty and dangerous places and do nasty jobs that can't even begin to be imagined by those who have never been there. We don't ask a lot, we don't seek accolades, and we don't seek out the TV cameras. Most military personnel I know would much rather leave politics to politicians. The people who serve our military deserve our never ending support and never ending thanks. They don't want to be shackled by those who assume they know what they don't know. Our military recently suffered its 4000th KIA in this latest conflict not to mention the wounded. In my opinion, this generation of our fighting men and women deserve our greatest respect, support, and credit, especially considering all they have accomplished with the smallest military we've had since the 1930's.
I support our military too. I do it by sending them packages of things they need, writing them to show my support and supplying requested religious items for their use and keeping them in my own prayers. I am forever grateful for what they have done and for what they are doing. I am very proud of them.

Surely DTop if Bush and co had a better plan going into Iraq, particularly for the first year, then we may not be looking at 4000 US dead now and the mess we are trying to pull ourselves out of. What about the Iraqi deaths? American forces should not be hated (and I think it is only a very small number who really do!) but you let Bush off way too lightly. Many American Mums and Dads who have lost loved ones in Iraq may not be so forgiving.

I those families I know that have suffered a loss in this conflict are indeed very proud of the service of their loved ones. Yes, we all regret any losses but consider service in the military as a noble endeavor. Each loss is quite tragic. No one is forced into military service in this country these days and it is understood that life in the service is a dangerous undertaking. Those who choose to do it are a special group of people.
You say I let the President off the hook too easily. I say there is no hook. This discussion is about whether America hates its military and my answer is still an emphatic no!

It's just that small minority then? I am seeing that out frustration I hastily threw this thread on the milforums....

My eyes are opening, and I see that maybe a majority of people that do not like the war, just do not like the war or Bush, not the the Soldiers, not the Airmen, or Sailors, not the Marines over there and abroad. But, their is always that smaller portion who just don't care if they foul the name of our armed forces, those people, I just do not understand them.

Maybe I am guilty of this to, maybe it's just human nature, if you don't understand something, of course you will cut it down.

Back