Does America hate it's armed forces? - Page 2

--
Does America hate it's armed forces?

March 19th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Sukio... I'm with you on this one. I think we're all with you.
It breaks my heart and I think the United States is going to go to a depth that it has not been before.
March 19th, 2008  
Yossarian

I have a family member that has just come back from Iraq, so the issues hits a little closer home for me. And for those who have gone to the middle east, regardless of what flag you have on your shoulder, thank you.

No matter haw negative the opinion becomes, you will at least have one civilian supporter.
March 19th, 2008  
Del Boy

I agree with Redneck's support of Sukio's take. I have just been viewing President Bush's anniversary of the Iraq campaign speech. I recommend it.

It would help if folk took the time to listen to their Commander-in-Chief and to give their armed forces full support.

And it would also help if non- Americans ceased the constant Bushwhacking and Iraq campaign denigrating. Time enough for the former when he is no longer in the driving seat, and the latter when the mighty task has been concluded.

I am prepared to accept Geo W's take - that he was right, that he is right, that he will be right. I have always considered that to be so. It is fortunate that USA had a man of action in place on 9/11. He told the enemy that America was coming for them, and he was true to his word. He has handled the poisoned chalice with calm and confidence; I believe he will be missed on that score. Time will tell, as history unfolds.

America make the sacrifice - couch potatoes , including far too many foreign couch potatoes, sling the mud. Such is life in the 21st century.

God Bless America, Sukio.
--
March 19th, 2008  
justin1552

It seems to me the only people who truly support the armed forces, and not just America's, is us that are talking on this forum and the ones who actually serve.
March 19th, 2008  
Del Boy

Justin - I'm glad to say that this is really not so - there are a great many of 'us' out there. They don't refer to 'silent majorities' for nothing. This certainly has been a difficult time, not least because of the shouting of the fellow travellers and apologists for our enemies. Stick close to your flag and you won't go far wrong. So far in history the aim of the USA has been straight and true, including Viet-Nam, where, like it or not, the domino effect ground to a halt, and Indo- china became domesticated to a degree.
March 19th, 2008  
LeEnfield

There are always a few of the chattering classes who think it is the done thing to have a go at the military. It is always an easy thing to hit out at, as there is little chance of them hitting back. The greater part of the American public are as always right behind their forces, and in many ways do a lot more for their forces than we do over here. The thing is the TV cameras and the Press always look for the more negative things that are said or protested about than the positive. Is there an easy answer well NO, and if there is I can't think of one. When that Hurricane hit St Louis last year and civilian authority fell apart and the Army stepped in and did a great job they got some credit but not nearly enough.
March 20th, 2008  
Del Boy

Right Le - this negativity thing is fairly new phenomenon, to be deplored. It may well have cost Britain its place in the world, and it may well cost us our military recruitment, through disillusion. Just as Justin describes now in USA. In Britain the teachers union is now calling for military visits to schools etc to be banned, and these have been an institution for a great many years.
March 20th, 2008  
The Other Guy

Well, I see a majority of Americans who are a little tired of war after five years, coupled with an oncoming recession.

But it's not the military's fault.
March 21st, 2008  
errol

Americans should be very proud of their miltary.
March 21st, 2008  
senojekips

^^^ I have no doubt whatsoever that they are Errol, but it like somewhere else we know, Nudge nudge, where it is the minority who makes the loudest protest. People who are happy with the status quo don't bother getting their face in the news.