A divided nation...

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Okay, some folks here don't understand. The United States of America is currently as divided since the Civil War. Or what I like to call the War of Northern Aggression. Expect that this isn't a between the north and the south. This is between the left and the right. And pretty soon. Something might boil over. Don't know when, how, or why. But I see something happeneing. And this related to my ealier post. I SPEAK MY MIND! So if you aren't from the USA or if you don't undertsand politics. Guess what, I'm not going to explain why i post what I post. I'm tired of explaining things already. And I'm tired of having to express myself through "peaceful means". When I talk, bull sometimes flies from my mouth. But hey, I'm human. Sue me.

Luis (5.56X45MM)

Or what I like to call the War of Northern Aggression.

I love the south but the south starte the war. The attack on fort (sumter?) in charleston was defintely a southren act.

Okay, you got me there, but that was after the North took the governmental power too far. I think that the States have the right to leave the Union. Now, I'm gald that the Union is still the Union, but the Civil War was not fought under the guise of freedom for salves. It was about economic and political reasons. The Federal Government took things too far and the States answered back. They said to hell with you. We quit. And in my opinion, the Federal Government is still too powerful. But hey, what do i know. I'm just a crazy Cuban Southern Redneck.

I will expand on your idea a little bit 5.56X45mm

The division in the US also has to do with location. The bigger cities in the US are generally liberal while small town USA leans to the right.

2000countymap.gif

This is the results of the 2000 election by county where Bush won the electoral vote but lost the popular vote. Gore carried most of the big cities on the coast while Bush took most of everywhere inbetween. This proves to an extent where the division in America lies at the moment

5.56X45mm said:
, bull sometimes flies from my mouth. But hey, I'm human. Sue me.

duely noted :firedevi:

And sadly, my home couty. Dade Couty, Florida. Voted for that moron Al Gore.

For you guys that don't understand. Dade County is the most lower couty on the east side of the Great State of Florida.

But hell, at 98% of the State voted for GWB! :D

5.56X45mm said:
The United States of America is currently as divided since the Civil War. Or what I like to call the War of Northern Aggression. Expect that this isn't a between the north and the south. This is between the left and the right. And pretty soon. Something might boil over.

There was that other set of '60s besides the 1860s. I don't need to look at your profile to see that you weren't around in the 1960s. A decidedly more divided, more contentious, more violent time than we now live in by far.

Yes, but the pot is starting to simmer and it could boil over. The 60's were bad. REALLY BAD. But the only thing that happened, was that the stove was turned down back to warm. But someone somewhere is slowly turning the dail back to boil.

Yeah you weren't there alright. Alot more happened than the pot simmering down. I'll hit just the highlights: civil rights, equal rights for women, the Cold War, the space race, and a fun little place in Southeast Asia called Vietnam. America is still assimilating the ramifications of all of those.

For young people trying times seem like they've come to take over for good. After you've been around awhile you'll come to realize that it's all cyclical. Trying times have come before and they always pass to be replaced with more peaceful times ad infinitum.

If you want to do your best to guarantee that things go to hell then just give up like the fear mongers want you to. You've done some really good things, 5.56. I'm sure you'll do more. Try to remember that each time you do, you are lighting that proverbial candle rather than cursing the darkness.

The nation is not near as divided as it was before the civil war. There is no worry of civil war or even a true 'war' over ideals. The debate is very heated, yes, but it isn't like you have conservatives blowing up liberal hangouts and liberals lynching conservatives in their midst. The debate has heated up but it's no where near as bad as it has been before in the short history of our republic.

The main threat from the divisiveness occouring now is inaction rather than rash action. In my opinion, the US has suffered more over the last 15 years from inaction rather than fighting. The inaction to finish the 1991 gulf war, inaction by the clinton administration on threats by terrorist threats on this country because it wasn't politically expedient, the inaction to be serious about defending the homeland post sept-11th led the the hurricaine katrina disaster because the 'restructing' of homeland security created more weaknesses than strengths.

Serious inaction is the paralysis that affects our nation, not violent 'one side against another' rash action.

There is no worry of civil war or even a true 'war' over ideals

I am sorry but i would have to disagree with that considering that at my school, my job, my particular hangouts, and numerous other places, the thing i hear more than anything is uneducated teenagers, who by "coincidence" just happen to be liberal, always talk about how they want to kill Bush, or shoot Bush, or hurt Bush physically in one way or another, they are also extremely quick to jump to violence over any little thing, in my school this morning we were preparing for hispanic heritage month and i said something about how great America is and some girl threatened to call here "homies" to come down and kick my ass/shank me in the back. in about 5-10 years these teens will be the future and most of them grew up on violence, they were practically taught violence over peace, and that worries me. I know that out of my school, job, and hangouts, 99.99999999999% of the people who talk about that crap don't have anything inside them to do the stuff they say, but what about the .00000000000001% that are willing to do that. That small percentage also consist of great speakers who can influence many other people into doing things that they might regret, so what happens when these teenagers actually come to the age when they are able to own guns and they have access to vehicles, and they learn how to avoid the law, what then.

Jason Bourne said:

I am sorry but i would have to disagree with that considering that at my school, my job, my particular hangouts, and numerous other places, the thing i hear more than anything is uneducated teenagers, who by "coincidence" just happen to be liberal, always talk about how they want to kill Bush, or shoot Bush, or hurt Bush physically in one way or another, they are also extremely quick to jump to violence over any little thing, in my school this morning we were preparing for hispanic heritage month and i said something about how great America is and some girl threatened to call here "homies" to come down and kick my ass/shank me in the back. in about 5-10 years these teens will be the future and most of them grew up on violence, they were practically taught violence over peace, and that worries me. I know that out of my school, job, and hangouts, 99.99999999999% of the people who talk about that crap don't have anything inside them to do the stuff they say, but what about the .00000000000001% that are willing to do that. That small percentage also consist of great speakers who can influence many other people into doing things that they might regret, so what happens when these teenagers actually come to the age when they are able to own guns and they have access to vehicles, and they learn how to avoid the law, what then.

yeah, but teenagers have ALWAYS been like that, hell i remember when I was like that

the difference is saying your going to do something, and actually doing it

chewie_nz said:
Jason Bourne said:

yeah, but teenagers have ALWAYS been like that, hell i remember when I was like that

the difference is saying your going to do something, and actually doing it

Yeah, I hate this "well MY generation" or "back in our day OUR generation didn't..." stuff.

Remember that infamous 1800s outlaw 'billy the kid' was 16 when he killed his first man and was shot to death at 20. Columbine isn't exactly the first time highschool-age kids have killed people.

Human nature is human nature and it doesn't change no matter how hard we try to glorify the past by only remembering the virtue and forgetting the vice.

chewie_nz said:
dude....im not that old.

what im saying is that kids are ALWAYS like that, rather what jason describes actually heralding the end of the world

ha ha ha I know man. What I was saying is that you can point to anytime in human history that by conventional wisdom is "safe" and "virtuous" and find the same stupid shit happening at that time.

Your right that kids talk a lot of shit and just like every generation only one in a million actually does something stupid with that talk. I'm not worried that some Sean Hannity influenced minor is going to do me any more harm than the Rush Limbaugh influenced minor from 20 or 30 whatever years ago.

As Jason Bourne said, all it takes is a well organised minority, to manipulate the un-educated and un-disciplened masses, and you can have a vey powerful and dangerous enemy.

History has many, many examples.
Lenin was head of a small but popular political group of urban workers an peasants,
Hitler joined a club of workers an ex-soldiers meeting in the back of a Munich Beerhall.
Castro was just some Gurrelia in the scrub with a bunch of other commie fanatics

Never underestimate a Determined Minority

the Civil War was not fought under the guise of freedom for salves
Down with the tyranny! Free Neosporin!!! :lol:

Sorry, had to be said. Just struck me as funny. We all know perfectly well what you meant of course.

The USA is not nearly as divided as you seem to be inferring. Prior to the Civil War, you had full scale anti-government revolts and even entire domestic wars between the opposite sides. In Missouri the late 1930's, the Mormons were ordered by the Governor to be "removed from the State ... or exterminated." Largely this was because they strongly tended towards abolitionism and Missouri was a slave state. It was widely feared by Missourians that the Mormons would incite their slaves to bloody revolt agaist their masters. This led to the unconstitutional displacement of over 10,000 American citizens. The Bleeding Kansas was a turbulent and bloody period that say numerous deaths on both sides of the slavery issue. An accurate count is difficult mind you. John Brown's rebellion was a direct result of the violent clashes of the Bleeding Kansas period, and was a bloody fiasco. South Carolina very nearly seceded from the US on several occasions (and varied reasons) much earlier than 1860.

And like it or not, the South would never have had cause sufficient to attempt to secede if the debate over slavery hadn't been such a hot topic at the time. Sure there were other things of great significance that also contributed, but the slavery question was paramount. The South seceded only after an avowed Abolitionist was elected President. Nonetheless, it was not until shortly after Gettysburg, that there was an official declaration by the Union to imply that freeing the slaves was definitely one of the North's main objectives. It was primarily about whether a state had a right to break away and declare independence from the USA. The Civil War solidifies one thing in my mind: Because the Union won, the victory carries over to the ideal that a State does not have the right to declare its independence from the United States. Freeing the slaves would be a side benefit, but not the primary purpose of the Civil War.

But back to my point, I do not see politically-based violence today on the same scale as that which preceded the Civil War. In fact, I see nothing even close to it.

Back