Disrespect at Arlington National Cemetery photo goes viral

Well have had people some what regularly deface our war memorials. By either vandalism or in one occasion some one actually pissed on our eternal flame. Extinguishing it. These people get dealt with by the law and a ridiculed and shamed by the media. Yet they weren't set upon in such a personal way... Maybe we are just numb.

So to my mind giving a sign the finger seems fairly harmless.

I am sure that if there were some form of physical damage we would do the same as your country has done....... maybe having watched several of my friends die has made me more reverent around such hallowed ground... I see them... do not understand why others cannot respect the price paid by all soldiers, past, present and future.

I am sure that if there were some form of physical damage we would do the same as your country has done....... maybe having watched several of my friends die has made me more reverent around such hallowed ground... I see them... do not understand why others cannot respect the price paid by all soldiers, past, present and future.

I think the problem is that we look at these things in a very different way I believe Australia and New Zealand tend to be less about the physical monuments and more about the memory of the events, it is one of the reasons we are not flag wavers by nature.

ANZAC day would be our equivalent of Memorial day and while there is a commemoration of the event for most people ANZAC day is a day to remember the achievements that were made possible by the sacrifice of our troops and not about the actual loss of troops.

I am not sure I have worded this correctly but I think people will understand.

On Remembrance Sunday I went to the parade at my local memorial.
A man there was telling everyone who would listen how he refuses to wear a Poppy as he "refuses to be dictated to".
Some people said it was a disgraceful lack of respect, and this just added to this chap's self importance.
A friend I was with then pointed out that this guy had the right to "refuse to be dictated to" because the people we were there to remember and honour gave their lives to ensure people could live free and make choices within the law of the land.
This girl's actions were crass and disrespectful.
People are entitled to be outraged and upset.
As for publicly flogging her, or locking her in the stocks for a week, well lets forget about crass individuals like her and move on.

On Remembrance Sunday I went to the parade at my local memorial.
A man there was telling everyone who would listen how he refuses to wear a Poppy as he "refuses to be dictated to".
Some people said it was a disgraceful lack of respect, and this just added to this chap's self importance.
A friend I was with then pointed out that this guy had the right to "refuse to be dictated to" because the people we were there to remember and honour gave their lives to ensure people could live free and make choices within the law of the land.
This girl's actions were crass and disrespectful.
People are entitled to be outraged and upset.
As for publicly flogging her, or locking her in the stocks for a week, well lets forget about crass individuals like her and move on.
aaaah, but to bring back the stocks or dunking stool once in a while wouldst be nice sometimes. (children might also take notice too)

aaaah, but to bring back the stocks or dunking stool once in a while wouldst be nice sometimes. (children might also take notice too)

Even better is the birch which was legal on the Isle of Man, until bleeding heart liberals started bitching and got the European court of Human Rights to poke their noses in, and made birching illegal.:whip:

Even better is the birch which was legal on the Isle of Man, until bleeding heart liberals started bitching and got the European court of Human Rights to poke their noses in, and made birching illegal.:whip:

OK, you know that I am a cretan from across the pond and am not very versed in y'alls *funny* way of tawking.

the birtch? meaning *the switch*, ie, tree limb about to be used across an errant child's posterior? or is it something different.

GADS MAN SPEAK ENGLISH for christ sake.:bang:

Birch a type of tree. With Snappy branches quite painful. Once used in schools as dicipline...

I think the problem is that we look at these things in a very different way I believe Australia and New Zealand tend to be less about the physical monuments and more about the memory of the events, it is one of the reasons we are not flag wavers by nature.

ANZAC day would be our equivalent of Memorial day and while there is a commemoration of the event for most people ANZAC day is a day to remember the achievements that were made possible by the sacrifice of our troops and not about the actual loss of troops.

I am not sure I have worded this correctly but I think people will understand.
Simply this ^

Last edited:
OK, you know that I am a cretan from across the pond and am not very versed in y'alls *funny* way of tawking.

We don't talk funny, youse does.:p

the birtch? meaning *the switch*, ie, tree limb about to be used across an errant child's posterior? or is it something different.

The Isle of Man (population 50,000) is a Crown Dependency in the middle of the Irish Sea. It is not part of the UK. It has its own parliament and makes its own laws. These are often similar to UK laws, but the island did not follow the UK in abolishing judicial corporal punishment in 1948.

JUVENILE BIRCHINGS IN THE 1950s

For 12 years after that, birching was principally a punishment for boys under 15 convicted of petty larceny (stealing), much as in UK magistrates' courts before 1948. The penalty was considered fairly trivial, though I doubt whether it seemed all that trivial to those receiving it (8 or 9 strokes in a few cases, though 3 or 4 was the norm). At any rate, it attracted little attention and was often reported only briefly in the local papers and not at all on the mainland. There were 52 of these magistrates' court juvenile birchings from 1952 to 1959 inclusive -- an average of nearly seven per year.

Older teens -- and in theory adult men, though there were no such cases in the post-war era -- could be birched only by higher courts, which at that time was rare (only two cases in the whole decade), though it became more common in the 1960s and 1970s.

SUMMARY JURISDICTION ACT 1960

In 1960 the Manx law was altered so that magistrates could order CP for males up to 21 instead of only under 15.

With the change in the law, birching took on an entirely new role. Previously a minor punishment for children, it became the customary penalty for youths of 14 to 21 for offences deemed fairly serious, without being serious enough to go to a higher court. These usually involved, or could be made to sound as if they had involved, some degree of violence. The maximum number of strokes was set at 12.

A NEW, MORE FEARSOME BIRCH

We now know, though it was not announced at the time, that to mark the change a completely different kind of birch was invented -- some say by Constable Henry Corlett, who often had the job of administering it. It consisted of four or five long and fairly stout hazel branches bound tightly together at one end.

This replaced the previous classic spray birch, and was by all accounts a much more fearsome weapon. It could be likened to a bundle of 4 senior school canes all being applied at once.

GADS MAN SPEAK ENGLISH for christ sake.:bang:

Careful I might revert to Cockney me old **** sparrer.:p

Last edited:
We don't talk funny, youse does.:p

Careful I might revert to Cockney me old **** sparrer.:p

Pulleeeeeeeeeeeeeees DO NOT, it is bad enough as it is

Photo10.jpg

{{{ I used to be normal you know before I came to this forum }}}

"The highest form of patriotism is dissent"

Thomas Jefferson

Without an opposition all the blood spilled for the very rights and freedoms we hold dear would be wasted. Besides, idiots like this woman remind us of how we "should" act in such situations. We have the choice. I fought and bled for that choice. I may not agree with the choice you make with that sacrifice but I would absolutely not have it any other way...otherwise I have failed. It's ok to disagree. It's ok to oppose my views. It's ok to be a horses ass.

Group think is not what I signed up to defend.

I think what the girls did is really stupid, but no one was physically harmed. No laws broken. Just a couple women that regressed back to their teeny-bopper days. That's all. I think we all do that at some point. Certainly nothing worth destroying lives over though. Now THAT, trying to ruin people's careers and lives over something infantile like the pic, is far more infantile and unAmerican than the act itself.
"I don't like my neighbor's rainbow flag flying on Flag Day so I'm gonna blow his brains out!"
Stupid, huh?

If you don't like it, tell them. Then drop it. There's more important things in lie that we must be attentive too.

Back