disqualified from working in military health proffession?

eyestudy

Ok- I'm considering becoming an optometrist for the military, but the problem is that I have a few screws in my ankle and can't really do any extensive running or jumping on it. Is being an optometrist considered a non-combat job? Would I be able to work in the military health clinic? Or would I have to be a commissioned officer to work on a military base :?:

Someone representing the USAF told me that under normal circumstances, I'm medically disqualified to be in the military. I just wanted a second opinion.

THanks!

Military Optometrist?

You probably would be disqualified from military service due to your injury and resulting treatment. However, if the desire to serve is there - most stateside (and some overseas) military medical facilities do offer employment to civilian providers on a case-by-case basis. Best option is to contact the Civilian Base Personnel Office (CBPO) or its equivilent on the base you're closest to.

thanks

Thanks for the reply! I'll definately look into that. It would be very cool to someday serve the men and women who sacrifice so much in order to serve our country. I still have 4 years of optometry school and then need to find a means to pay off my school loans, (because i hear the government pay won't quite cut it), but thanks again.

Just out of curiousity- say I got a job as a civillian optometrist working at a military health clinic. How much differently would I be treated as a civilian working in a military health clinic?

God Bless! ;)

Thanks for the reply! I'll definately look into that. It would be very cool to someday serve the men and women who sacrifice so much in order to serve our country. I still have 4 years of optometry school and then need to find a means to pay off my school loans, (because i hear the government pay won't quite cut it), but thanks again.

Just out of curiousity- say I got a job as a civillian optometrist working at a military health clinic. How much differently would I be treated as a civilian working in a military health clinic?

God Bless!

You would be a Civil Service employee. I am past Army medical. As far as yuor injuries, sorry to say, those will keep you out. Reguardless of what it will be like at yuor duty station, you still will need to go through basic training and they do not care what MOS (job) you will have, or what rank you are or will be. If you are looking at this as a means to pay off your student loans thne may I suggest looking into an Indian Reservation. Some reservatinos will pay off yuor student loans provided that you work on the reservation for x amount of years. Also to answer your question about being treated differrently, I worked with military and civial doctors and hospital staff and I felt in a whole, the civilian people were more relaxed and easier to get along with. As far as your patients go, they will all treat you with respect. "Yes Sir/Ma'am, No Sir/Ma'am", LOL :lol:

Good luck with your schooling

Couple of things:

- ask a recruiter anyway, despite the above. There may be some medical waivers granted if you're physically able to still perform the strenuous activities, despite the screws in your ankle.

- consider joining the US Public Health Service. Military pay, military benefits, quasi-military environment (you wear a Navy uniform, albeit with PHS insignia on it), but you're obviously not in a combat situation. And their medical requirements are also more lenient than the other services. www.usphs.gov

Back