Discussions about improving the forum

Please gents (all of you :cool:), try to stay on topic from now on!

Redleg ...
We were on topic.

The topic is how to improve the forum ... and ... one of the things that causes almost immediate warfare and flaming, is a member who acts as though they were gods and their words were holy. Having an opinion and being forceful is one thing, but acting as though nobody could possibly disagree with your pronouncements, draws fire from the rest of the members participating with the discussion.

We have seen these clay-footed 'gods' way too many times ... one good thing is the fact that they don't last very long. In that respect, the mods serve well - we see the perpetrator's names "writ" upon the wall of shame. It's too bad that not all of these little tin gods have been pruned from the forum - there are always new ones to replace those who have been banned.

BTW - I agree that posting is NOT necessary to know what is going on within a thread .. dropping in and just reading every new post will keep a person informed about a thread's progress and content ... HOWEVER ... not participating for a very long time, and then suddenly jumping into the thread with both feet, will often draw criticism from the members that were participating all along.

I think if there was a welcome package for newcomers explaining that the political sections can become quiet heated and as it is a military site tends to lean to the right, may help. I will not be visiting the political posts any more because I can see I am considered a lefty troll, even though it was not made clear to me it is a right wing site. I love military history and served for a short time in the reserves. I find as the history gets closer to the present I am more delicate with my opinions because it is personal to a lot of people. I think it needs to be pointed out to people that as this is a military site, aggressive people tend to be attracted to the services (thank god) and you have to suck it up sometimes. Other forums I belong to filter out users who have been innactive for 6 or 12 months. I don't know the policy here. I think this site is very informative and would like to see the focus put back on military and less on political. I have other sites I can go and rave to like minded trolls about politics.

I think if there was a welcome package for newcomers explaining that the political sections can become quiet heated and as it is a military site tends to lean to the right, may help. I will not be visiting the political posts any more because I can see I am considered a lefty troll,
Don't let it worry you, I was a Merchant Seaman for many years and because I was Ex-Royal Australian Navy was immediately tagged as extreme right wing, a tag I had to shake every time i joined a new vessel. On this forum I am sure that there are many who would consider me as a "lefty".

The fact is that you should not allow it to affect your views, nor you ability to express them. All judgements as to what is left and right are merely subjective and don't really mean much in the greater scheme of things.

I consider myself to be very slightly left of centre, but that doesn't mean that I can't see the good and bad in both views.

Remember, it's not illegal to be a lefty, as much as some would like to make it so.

Stand up for what you think, and say your piece loud and clear,... then be prepared to dodge the incoming fire. And remember, it annoys the livin' b'jesus out of the opposition. ;)

Last edited:
Cheers Seno. I am a class a stirrer usually but I think I will just relax on this site. Some of you guys do a pretty good job without me lol.

Politics and religion are always going to be sensitive subjects to people, nomatter who they are and what they think they can handle.
Personally I don´t care much about any of the subjects wich do annoy people who does.

Politics and to some extent religion forums will always be a nightmare to moderate because how much you try you will always be colored by your personal feelings and beliefs.

I think the "problem" is this.
People think this site is a democracy, wrong it is an empire.
There is one absolute ruler in this empire and that is Redleg.
He can decide to do whatever he likes with his personal property (ie: this forum).

He may loose guests by doing either this or that, but that is his perogative as emperor.

As for people saying "I´m leaving", they tend to return rather shortly anyways.
The only thing I might be missing from time to time are AD military guys offering up their time to help/teach/prepare civilians for a decision they are about to make that will change their life forever in one way or the other.
That is a responsibility this site should take quite seriously IMHO.
By calling it a military site you stand for something more then general chit chat.
I for one just hope the site doesn´t loose it´s bearing in all the Xbox and general threads.
I have committed to helping a few good youngsters from this site out.
One is currently serving his nation in Afghanistan.

MHO, but if RL says that isn´t the way he want this site to go that is fine by me.
His house, his rules.

//KJ.

Politics and religion are always going to be sensitive subjects to people, nomatter who they are and what they think they can handle.
Personally I don´t care much about any of the subjects wich do annoy people who does.

Politics and to some extent religion forums will always be a nightmare to moderate because how much you try you will always be colored by your personal feelings and beliefs.

I think the "problem" is this.
People think this site is a democracy, wrong it is an empire.
There is one absolute ruler in this empire and that is Redleg.
He can decide to do whatever he likes with his personal property (ie: this forum).

He may loose guests by doing either this or that, but that is his perogative as emperor.

As for people saying "I´m leaving", they tend to return rather shortly anyways.
The only thing I might be missing from time to time are AD military guys offering up their time to help/teach/prepare civilians for a decision they are about to make that will change their life forever in one way or the other.
That is a responsibility this site should take quite seriously IMHO.
By calling it a military site you stand for something more then general chit chat.
I for one just hope the site doesn´t loose it´s bearing in all the Xbox and general threads.
I have committed to helping a few good youngsters from this site out.
One is currently serving his nation in Afghanistan.

MHO, but if RL says that isn´t the way he want this site to go that is fine by me.
His house, his rules.

//KJ.

I agree with the whole "Emporer Redleg" bit 100%. Its his show.

Sometimes however its really hard to follow the rules "Emporer Redleg" sets because the rules seem to be interpreted in a very fluid fashion. For example member X says this and its deemed OK, member Y says exactly the same thing and gets flagged by the staff. Its all very confusing. I have almost given up trying to follow the rules here because its like trying to understand ancient Aramaic. When i first joined, (and alot of the old timers will remember this). There was a line, everyone knew what the line was. Cross over this line and there were consequences. Today the line is practically invisible. I think this lack of communication has contributed to a lot of trouble recently.

Last edited:
Back