Discussions about improving the forum

Several good ideas in this thread, but I can just add that you really don't need to post any suggestions at all on how to choose mods, who should be mods etc. since that will be entirely up to me, and no one else.. :cool:

Offcourse , its youre site and youre the big kahuna. Lol you dont go into another mans house and tell him how to run things. But we hope with the suggestions that we have for you, this site will grow :) We all love this site, thats why we are here, and we dont want to see it without members and or interesting stuff. But suggestions or not, its all up to you if you are willing to try some off them or not.

If you read carefully, I did say that one good system would be that we'd make a case or suggestion and Redleg would make the final decision based on his point of view and maybe also what the members recommend.
This is why I did not mention making a poll or something where people can vote because if it goes against Redleg's view on who should be the next mod, it can cause a rift but if we don't know who would have run an "election" to be the next mod, it wouldn't be much of an issue at all.

(snip)
Furthermore, I dont think you can fairly say other people's claims are unfounded as you are very rarely here yourself.

(snip)
I agree with the conclusions so far. More and Better participation, better self-control, a more diverse staff, I am undecided about whether should be a revolving staff or that staff be elected. There are arguements for and against.
This smells like elitism. I didn't think there was a minimum number of posts requirement for me to have an opinion. I have been here a lot more than you know over the years, just not posting for reasons I have already stated.
I like this forum and I'd hate to see it devolve into a more hostile place staffed by people who got there through a popularity contest. I think there would be disagreements among themselves to the point of becoming an ineffective body. Again as stated before, this is my opinion.
mmarsh, I really don't care what you say about me, I'll post my opinion whenever I like thank you kindly sir.

No there isn't a minimum but to not be here and then show up and say what's been going on as opposed to people who were here continuously saying what has been going on... that's not elitism, that's common sense.
For example, let's say your past 76 posts were made in the past two or three weeks... that would count a lot more to you knowing about the current situation as opposed to having posted most of them in the far distant past and a handful in the past week.
Who would you rather ask, someone who watched the first five minutes of the match and the last five miinutes or someone who sat down for the whole 90 minutes? Then if the person who only saw the beginning and a bit of the end finds his/her opinion on the match marginalized and accuses the other of elitism... sounds a bit strange, no?
The matter of the fact is that a lot of folks are saying pretty much the same thing and you're not hearing me here either.
You don't want this place run by people through a popularity contest, fair enough, I actually said that Redleg would choose, but we should be allowed a time period where we individually send a PM to make suggestions.

suggest to the owner via PM all you want, present yourself to him if you feel fit, but do not have a public vote.

Rattler
So I'm not alone in thinking this would be a good idea.

I have a feeling that you were put down by a lot of the regulars and guess what? Mmarsh actually falls under the similar category (he's had a LOT of nasty stuff said to him) and I myself haven't been free of them either. To be fair I've been pretty nasty to some folks when I shouldn't have been. I got a feeling because now there apparently seems to be a rift between the people you feel have been nasty to you and the moderators, you're backing the moderators with a blank cheque.

That is not what this thread is about.
We're identifying problems involving all parties and we want to find a solution. I think this thread is heading in the right direction.

MMarsh was not belittling you.

Last edited:
I know that i am just a kid, and I dont know all that much about the military but i joined this forum so that i could try and learn more, perhaps we should have a thread about just the basic facts about the military? (If there is not one already i dont know) But i have no idea what many of the military titles mean and are and I believe it would be nice to learn.

Just thought I would throw in a suggestion.

Thanks TOG!! :)

That's not a bad idea at all.
Maybe that can be a forum mission? To educate hopefuls on miltary life etc. within the constraints of OPSEC. Quite a few members have gone that route and I think we were rather effective.

Also, I'm thinking that maybe the military matters are too divided... as in is it really necessary that we have "Military Related Topics" "Firearms and Ammunition" "Military Aircraft Discussions" all in different sections? They're all sort of related anyway.

Obviously information and advice on joining the military deserves its own section as do General Chit Chat, Registered Members Only, etc.

Just saying... the division doesn't serve much but if we put them together it would help boost participation in each thread because it's far more accessable.

That's not a bad idea at all.
Maybe that can be a forum mission? To educate hopefuls on miltary life etc. within the constraints of OPSEC. Quite a few members have gone that route and I think we were rather effective.

Also, I'm thinking that maybe the military matters are too divided... as in is it really necessary that we have "Military Related Topics" "Firearms and Ammunition" "Military Aircraft Discussions" all in different sections? They're all sort of related anyway.

Obviously information and advice on joining the military deserves its own section as do General Chit Chat, Registered Members Only, etc.

Just saying... the division doesn't serve much but if we put them together it would help boost participation in each thread because it's far more accessable.
Agree! it would be great to be able to also Read about missions that people have been on and let them share their experience's with everyone. I would love to here stories! I want to know what goes on when people join the military. Im thinking of becoming a nurse and dedicating myself to helping soilders so i would like to get some insight into how they think and act.

I know that i am just a kid, and I dont know all that much about the military but i joined this forum so that i could try and learn more, perhaps we should have a thread about just the basic facts about the military? (If there is not one already i dont know) But i have no idea what many of the military titles mean and are and I believe it would be nice to learn.

Just thought I would throw in a suggestion.

Thanks TOG!! :)

We already have such a forum: http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/joining-military-basic-training-military-45/

This smells like elitism. I didn't think there was a minimum number of posts requirement for me to have an opinion. I have been here a lot more than you know over the years, just not posting for reasons I have already stated.
I like this forum and I'd hate to see it devolve into a more hostile place staffed by people who got there through a popularity contest. I think there would be disagreements among themselves to the point of becoming an ineffective body. Again as stated before, this is my opinion.
mmarsh, I really don't care what you say about me, I'll post my opinion whenever I like thank you kindly sir.

Where did I say you couldn't state your opinion?

What I said that it was ridiculous to refute people's claims on a subject you obviously know nothing about, and its obvious to everyone here that you don't know what you are talking about when you have only made 75 posts in 4 years (that's 18 posts a year, some people do that in a single day).

Its a very simple formula: If You don't post it means you don't participate. If you don't participate, then you don't know what goes on here. I understand if your personal life keeps you way, but the fact is you simply do not have the experience or knowledge of most people here, so stop trying to pretend that you do. To tell members who are here daily that they are wrong on a subject you don't know anything about is just silly.

This is not my opinion. As 13th Redneck said: Its common sense.

Last edited:
And there it is the predictable belittling and ganging up on someone just trying to post an opinion.
My opinion is ridiculous huh? Well I think your statement and attitude demonstrates who's ridiculous. As I said it's just my opinion and you can ridicule it all you want. I don't care because I'm sticking to it.
This is sure getting to be a hostile environment.
You say military folks don't take civilians seriously around here? Now you're doing exactly that. Have your fun.
If your personal life allows you to spend much more time posting here than mine does, oh well how nice for you. It could have been stated early on that you only care to hear from people with 10K plus posts or whatever your criteria was if you wanted. But nobody did so please don't dismiss my or anyone else's opinions as ridiculous or unwarranted. Everyone's opinion should be heard and they shouldn't be put down or minimized because of their post count or because it doesn't agree with yours.
Go on now, slam away if you must.

I suppose if someone insisted that by watching the last five minutes of the Superbowl they had the same authority in knowing the match as someone who watched the whole thing including the pregame and insisted it to death we'd have no where else to go.

If you look back at our list you just proved yourself to be on it.

Let's try to be a bit more constructive.

No it's like saying that if someone didn't "play" in the Super Bowl, they can't offer an opinion because they only watched it on TV. Let me see, oh ya I've been a member since 2005 and I have not been involved in squabbles though my first post was deleted by a mod (stilll don't know why). Oh I've watched the game alright.
I've made posts and have been slammed and decided to take the high road and let it slide. I'm not here to cause arguments but I don't think I should just let it slide when some "high post counters" dismiss my posts and my opinions out of hand and use the word ridiculous in reference to my posts. This could have been handled in a more civil manner but whatever.

Last edited:
This is supposed to be a group suggestion thread for improving the forum. Attacking anyone for offering an opinion on this thread shows what little progress will be made.

High point counts don't mean anything as the forum is full of meaningless, entertaining, fun threads that require a minor responses like, "LoL, great joke" or whatever. Length of time could be meaningful if there was a way to measure the logged time on the forum. This could reflect how much someone "follows the forum" even if they do not run up a post count.

You can learn from and follow a thread with out posting.

Being here any amount of time is not an issue to me, it's coming in and saying "So and so is the anti-christ" and expecting folks not to be a little peeved about it that gets me going.

You can learn from and follow a thread with out posting.

Very true, but I don't think she was following it either. Hence, my reference to seeing the game rather than actually having played in it.

Anyways I think we've exhausted a lot of the issues and complaints so the next step would be to organize our possible solutions, and then submit them.

Being here any amount of time is not an issue to me, it's coming in and saying "So and so is the anti-christ" and expecting folks not to be a little peeved about it that gets me going.
My problem is NOT someone coming in and saying "So and so is the anti-Christ" ......

my problem is the guy or gal that comes in
.. and ..
acts like they ARE Christ < OR > God.

My problem is NOT someone coming in and saying "So and so is the anti-Christ" ......

my problem is the guy or gal that comes in
.. and ..
acts like they ARE Christ < OR > God.
And that everything they say is perfect and the rest of us are spreading lies, thus we should stop and agree wholeheartedly with everything they say?

If so, I see what you mean.

Back