Discipline; then and now

Ski8799

I do believe its not what it was. I can just imagine the scene if a full A and B bag inspection were to be performed on a company of soldiers in the middle of the day, I can assure you that it wouldn't look like this:

SC180845t.jpg

Discipline of course is more prevalent in the military as opposed to the general civilian populace but it has been on the decline for some time now. What happened?

I do believe its not what it was. I can just imagine the scene if a full A and B bag inspection were to be performed on a company of soldiers in the middle of the day, I can assure you that it wouldn't look like this:

SC180845t.jpg

Discipline of course is more prevalent in the military as opposed to the general civilian populace but it has been on the decline for some time now. What happened?

Do you know the date this photograph was taken? I'd be quite interested to know.

I can remember standing inspection in the middle of the day on a hot azz parade deck, for pre-deployment and ACB/AAB readiness inspections.

Of course I agree with 13th. Mothers of America don't want little Johnny or Janie to feel unloved or picked on or otherwise have their wittle fiwings hurted.:cry:

Crying mothers are in fact civilization's biggest threat.
Crying about this, crying about that... crying about how their kid isn't somehow numero uno in the real world. Then we make all kinds of strange rules that make the legitimate winners into losers and then what you have is... everyone sucks.

'tis a scary and unfortunate thing. The Chief Instructor at RMC was getting a crapload of phone calls from crying mothers during Recruit Term because their son or daughter wasn't being treated as "they should be". His answer typically went something along these lines:

"Sorry, ma'am. They signed the contract. They knew what they were getting into, or at least had enough of an idea to make an informed decision."

(From my Dad, true story)

You know, in Fort Benning, GA, they had these things called "Stress Cards" for the new recruits. If the Drill Sergeant was too in-your-face or too rough with you, all you had to do was hold up your Stress Card and he had to leave you alone... Course, the next day you were considered unfit for military duty. I thought it was at least a good way to weed out the bad ones. But my story has a point, I promise. Point being that it's the whole Politically Correct/ don't wanna get a lawsuit for hurting someone's feelings. If Johnny didn't want his feelings hurt, he shouldn't have signed up for the military.

Let's talk about TTOs

TRAINING TIME OUT

We have TTO in shipboard fire school, give me a break a machinery space fire on a ship is a very harsh environment, so we train for it with velvet gloves because we don't want anyone to get hurt. Because the element of danger is taken out of the training it is not taken seriouly by the students so the screw around and go through the motions.

Last edited:
Rob, We have those in the CF now apparently. A nice little red card that recruits get to use if the instructors are being 'too harsh'.

Probably August 18, 1945, if the number in the lower-right corner means what I think it does ;)

Yes of course. That makes sense. I didn't notice the numbers. 18 August 1945 is a long time ago and several worlds away: two full generations plus by some people's reckoning. As far as discipline slackening in the US armed forces is concerned, I cannot comment. Thanks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately people see too many "Special Forces" movies where rigid traditional discipline is not part of their culture and have this idea that discipline is for amateurs and therefore to be undisciplined is actually better.
Couldn't be further from the truth. Those guys look lax because they KNOW what they're doing very well. Also their formations are smaller. They'll get their stuff done without anyone breathing down their necks. In the beginning, discipline is, in my opinion, THE MOST important thing for a soldier.
There is a saying in the RoKMC. "Discipline is a Marine Private."

Maybe the discipline is not needed. Don't be a sack of **** and they won't have any reason to see if you have all your gear.

(From my Dad, true story)

You know, in Fort Benning, GA, they had these things called "Stress Cards" for the new recruits. If the Drill Sergeant was too in-your-face or too rough with you, all you had to do was hold up your Stress Card and he had to leave you alone... Course, the next day you were considered unfit for military duty. I thought it was at least a good way to weed out the bad ones. But my story has a point, I promise. Point being that it's the whole Politically Correct/ don't wanna get a lawsuit for hurting someone's feelings. If Johnny didn't want his feelings hurt, he shouldn't have signed up for the military.

Stress cards? I must had missed that because that sure as hell didn't happen where I was. lol.... I would call that a troll....

Last edited:
Stress cards? I must had missed that because that sure as hell didn't happen where I was. lol.... I would call that a troll....

I work with a guy who was a Drill at Ft. Lost in the Woods mid 90's. He said they had Stress Cards for a couple cycles and then they went away.

Back