Disaster Survival

ozmilman

A couple of years ago i would have thought that the idea of a disaster survival kit would be something that wanna-be Rambos and the like would only think of preparing. You know the story, what if we get invaded or bombed, or what if some massive natural disaster strikes and we need supplies. But since i have been researching terrorist activities and trying to stay on top of current events, i'm considering making one up. Living on a farm as i am, we are semi self-sufficient - but how could anyone seriously be prepared for somethiing like this to happen?
If you google in the words "survival kits" or "disaster survival" you will find a whole heap of weird stuff for sale, and people have already made these kits for sale at stupid prices. Hmmm, i just don't know what's happening to the world when people start considering having disaster kits etc etc in their homes. Homes are supposed to be safe.

Rich.

ozmilman........I would not worry to much about it as you don't know what might happen and when, and you can't plan for every eventuality. Just be aware where things are that you might require in an emergency and don't keep them all in one place.

ozmilman said:
A couple of years ago i would have thought that the idea of a disaster survival kit would be something that wanna-be Rambos and the like would only think of preparing. You know the story, what if we get invaded or bombed, or what if some massive natural disaster strikes and we need supplies. But since i have been researching terrorist activities and trying to stay on top of current events, i'm considering making one up. Living on a farm as i am, we are semi self-sufficient - but how could anyone seriously be prepared for somethiing like this to happen?
If you google in the words "survival kits" or "disaster survival" you will find a whole heap of weird stuff for sale, and people have already made these kits for sale at stupid prices. Hmmm, i just don't know what's happening to the world when people start considering having disaster kits etc etc in their homes. Homes are supposed to be safe.

Rich.
I myself have planned such things. Don't get to far into it or you'll go nuts. The best kit would be one of your own design, look through other kits and pick up idea's. I myself live on a military post so.....

Yeah, i'm not TOO worried about it because i don't live in a town so i'm away from all of the stupid people who would probably go and loot and pillage everything in sight. We've got food, some medical stuff, warm clothing, our own water supply, rifles, torches etc etc. But we're not so remote that if something did happen it would take too long to receive help because we're only about 20 minutes from town.
Probably the most diffcult part would be the slaughter and quick consumption of an entire cow or sheep, because there would be nothing available to store the meat. I'd have to look into other ways of storing food. We have about 60 cos and calves, we'e got chickens that lay eggs regularly, we've got sheep, if we get desperate enough there are ducks, rabbits, kangaroos....... Uh-oh, there i go getting all crazy. I might stop thinking about it for a while now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich.

We have stumbled upon the idea of making a buck off of people's fears. I amuse my self when ever any type of business uses scare tactics to sell something. Most bug spray now "combats mosquitos that carry the evil West Nile Virus." Unfortunately there are stupid people out there that get caught up in scare tactics.

I was flipping thru the US Calvary catolog and saw some crazy anti terrorism crap for sale. One item included a bio bubble that would keep a family safe in the event of a biological attack. There was no price listed so I am assuming the thing costs a bunch of cash.

Here are my feelings on fearing terrorism

Doody said:
It boggles the mind of SGT Doody as I watch people go nuts about terrorism scares. I cannot understand it because there is so much more out there that kills people. The dead and wounded coming from terrorism is a drop in the bucket compared to the everyday living here in the United States.

The first thing that comes to my mind that kills and mames us Americans is our cars and trucks. According to car-accidents.com, in 2003 there were 42,643 car related deaths. That comes to about 115 dead per a day. Yet I do not see people crying and losing sleep over such devistating numbers.

The next feature rarely kills, but adds about 75,000 to the WIA lists each year. Yes, I am talking about what I did yesterday...lawnmowing. If you add in all yardwork related injurues, that number rises to over 400,000 according to indianahandcenter.com.

"Then we come to the America's Funniest Home Videos category of accidental death, including falls from ladders, down stairs, over curbs, off buses, into manholes, and through plate glass windows." This quote comes from soyouwanna.com along with 14,900 dead figure.

The next time you drink that mystery drink think twice. According to wrongdiagnosis.com, 19,742 people died in 1999 as a result from drinking poisonous substances. The site also says that 97,860 Americans died from accidents in 1999.

Don't play with matches, it kills. "In the United States, approximately 2.4 million burn injuries are reported per year. Approximately 650,000 of the injuries are treated by medical professionals; 75,000 are hospitalized. Of those hospitalized, 20,000 have major burns involving at least 25% of their total body surface. Between 8,000 and 12,000 of patients with burns die, and approximately one million will sustain substantial or permanent disabilities resulting from their burn injury. (Journal of Burn Care & Rehabilitation, May/June 1992)" This coming from burnsurvivor.com.

You want to talk about bio warfare. The flu is a bug that killed around 36,000 people last year accordind to the American Lung Association. In 1918, the flu epidemic that occured killed over 600,000 Americans and 20 million world wide.

My whole point is that worrying about terrorism is pointless. There is plenty out there that kills and mames and no one worries about that crap. No offence, but as people lose sleep over such things as terrorism, I sleep soundly in my bed. If I were a small child, I might have to worry. According to cpsc.gov, 64 kids are killed by their beds in one way or another each year.

Cheers

SGT Doody

I spent 11 years posted to the Northern Territory and everyone I knew had a disaster kit at home.
Though we all called them cyclone kits. Had all the basic gear in case a cyclone struck Darwin again.
Personnaly I don't see anything wrong with being prepare for a natural disaster.
As far as an invasion goes, well the climate will knock them about. And the price of a stubby of beer. Dress code up in Darwin was starting to get stricter as well!!!! hehehehe.

I have a bug-out kit for most problems. I live in Miami Florida. And I remember Hurricane Andrew. There was massive rioting. So my kit includes First Aid, water, food, 330rds of 5.56X45mm, 145rds of .40S&W, radio, compus, GPS Unit, three flaslight w/batteries, poncho/shelter, 50ft of 550 Para-Cord, 100MPH Tape, bible, iodine tablets for nuclear fallout, and gas mask, NBC suit, water fliteration unit. It's what I call a SHTF kit. If the power goes out, I have a flashlight. If there is civil unrest. I can defend myself. Riots and looting in Miami isn't common but it has happened. Right after a nasty hurricane. And we get those often. And if there is even a nuclear attack by a foriegn power or a terrorist threat too Turkey point Nuclear power plant. I have somehting to protect myself to get the heck out of town.

Well, you can either buy a truck load of useless items or create your own with basic knowledge.

I have my "disaster bag" though under my bed (yeah really :roll: ) and it is made out of simple items that I would need incase of an emergency like flashlight, batteries, pocket radio, water purification tablets, food and water for 72 hours, warm clothing, ropes, knife, map and compass (dont rely on the GPS at all circumstances) and misc other items (first aid kit etc) from the household making up what I would like to compare to a regular Army Combat Kit.

Carry light, travel fast.....

was just thinking, does anyone have one of those mini fire exstinguishers, like the sort you have to have on personal boats?
how about a tomohawk or axe?
gaffer tape? that stuff is always helpful
i personally dont have one, but its actually probably a good thing to have when i move out.

im glad you specified what the bullets are for, i initially thought they would be kinda pointless in survivng a hurricane, but yeah riots, we dont get too many of them so i didn't think of that. oh and we cant have guns like that ;)

this site has some interesting stuff in a whole heap of survival lists.
what i like is the fact that a fair few of the lists include condoms, so just incase you survive when everyone else on earth is dead, bar the one hot chick who you escaped the meteor with, you can be sure not to get any STD's
priceless

Locke said:
what i like is the fact that a fair few of the lists include condoms, so just incase you survive when everyone else on earth is dead, bar the one hot chick who you escaped the meteor with, you can be sure not to get any STD's
priceless

Always include condoms, one day you really really need one :D (though make sure it is properly stored)

Sure duct tape can be useful as well as an axe or other tools. But never the less ask the question of do you really really need it? A fire exstinguisher; your house or appartment should already have at least one of them. Put one in your car.

Think, decide, sort it out -> carry light, travel fast - that's my basics.

Locke said:
sunblock said:
one day you really really need one :D
OHHHHHHHH
what are you trying to say dude??
someones getting a bashing for that!!!! :rambo:
LOL

I guess I've seen too much "adult material" lately; you know - Outback Jack in the bush with 10 blondes.... :peace:

A lot of this can only be done if you are in an area that is prone to disasters. Some areas are prone to flooding others to Tornado's, and others to Hurricanes or earth quakes. So look at what you have to face then work out what you might require for the problems you face in your area. there is little point in planning for a disaster if you are ever likely to face one.

tahts where aus is fairly good, we are not on teh edge of any plates, like japan, and we dont have any problem with tornados, volcanos etc.
UK is fairly safe nature wise as well yeah?

Locke .....We have our moments, floods and tornado's along with the odd hurricane, but on the whole it is fairly peaceful here.

Well if you're on a farm all you really need is a stockpile of drinking water and a gun. It's really us city folk that would have any need for these kind of disaster kits since we're extremely dependent on other people for our needs and we're the targets of terrorist attacks and such.

Back