The disarming of America - Page 2

--
The disarming of America

April 30th, 2007  
CABAL

The disarming of America
Quote:
I believe he was commenting on the Communist countries' policies, not their lofty and pretty well unattainable ideals.
That doesn't make any sense. What policy? What country? This is a domestic issue, a hotly debated topic discussed in the United States. Communism....completely irrelevant to this particular topic. Its like saying a planned economy/equal class system can infringe citizen rights to bear arms.
April 30th, 2007  
major liability

Last time I checked the Soviet Union and Commie China both banned personal firearms.
April 30th, 2007  
5.56X45mm

Every single communist nation on Earth has restricted civilian ownership of firearms. Cuba, China, the USSR, North Korea, Poland, East Germany, etc.......
--
The disarming of America
April 30th, 2007  
sunb!

I live in a country with barely 5 million people and we have one of the highest weapons densities in the word pr citizen, but the traffic kills more people than a gun and a knife.

Many of my friends and myself included grew up with direct access to 12" shot guns, MP5s, G3s, Glocks and other hand guns and rifles since our parents was either military personell, National Guard personell or adults with interest of hunting, with weapons and ammunition at home the respect for guns and ammunition was learned.

Banning guns, and using guns, do not solve any problems, knowlegde and correct weapons handling do.
April 30th, 2007  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunb!
I live in a country with barely 5 million people and we have one of the highest weapons densities in the word pr citizen, but the traffic kills more people than a gun and a knife.

Many of my friends and myself included grew up with direct access to 12" shot guns, MP5s, G3s, Glocks and other hand guns and rifles since our parents was either military personell, National Guard personell or adults with interest of hunting, with weapons and ammunition at home the respect for guns and ammunition was learned.

Banning guns, and using guns, do not solve any problems, knowlegde and correct weapons handling do.
I agree but I have one question how easy is it for you to procure a gun?

New Zealand being predominantly rural means we grow up with guns, however the checks and balances in place to get a firearm mean that it is much harder (not impossible) for your average nut job to get their hands on one.
April 30th, 2007  
sunb!

If you have a criminal record, it is very hard to obtain a permission, obviously.

For shotguns and .22 you may obtain a weapon by delivering a simple form at the police station and a tick in the "Hunting Purpose" section. No further questions asked. For pistols and revolvers you must have been an active member of a pistol club for at least 6 months and completed the safty lectures before applying. For 7.62 or 5.56 rifles you can apply through your rifle organization or complete and passed a 30 hours hunting lecture if that is your purpose.

Automatic and Semi-Automatic rifles are very hard to obtain unless you are a thrusted member of a rifle organization with such weapons, but certain safty and storage regulations apply.
April 30th, 2007  
Donkey

Do the math less then 1 million police officers, about 5 million military personnel, 300 million citizens, 250 million weapons; his plan can not work regardless of the obvious violations of the constitution.
April 30th, 2007  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunb!
If you have a criminal record, it is very hard to obtain a permission, obviously.

For shotguns and .22 you may obtain a weapon by delivering a simple form at the police station and a tick in the "Hunting Purpose" section. No further questions asked. For pistols and revolvers you must have been an active member of a pistol club for at least 6 months and completed the safty lectures before applying. For 7.62 or 5.56 rifles you can apply through your rifle organization or complete and passed a 30 hours hunting lecture if that is your purpose.

Automatic and Semi-Automatic rifles are very hard to obtain unless you are a thrusted member of a rifle organization with such weapons, but certain safty and storage regulations apply.
See I think this is where the differences lie in that there is a control between deciding that you want a gun and actually purchasing it that involves a serious third party check ie longer than a 20min phone call.
It is this check that in my opinion reduces the chances of nut jobs getting
getting hold of weapons.
May 2nd, 2007  
Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
See I think this is where the differences lie in that there is a control between deciding that you want a gun and actually purchasing it that involves a serious third party check ie longer than a 20min phone call.
getting hold of weapons.
2 weeks is a lot longer than 20mins...

However in about an hour I could go into the city and get whatever I wanted...
May 2nd, 2007  
5.56X45mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
getting hold of weapons.
Florida has a five day waiting period for civilians, three day waiting period for military/police/fire personnel, and a zero day waiting period for someone with a Conceal Carry permit. For every pruchase of a firearm from a FFL, you must go through a background check call to FDLE.

If you do not have a CCW there is the waiting period. Even if you have a CCW, you still go through the criminal background check when ever you buy a firearm.

To get a Conceal Carry Permit, you must attend a class offered by a state certified firearms instructor, get your finger prints taken by your local police, and have FDLE (Florida's version of the FBI...FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF LAW ENFORCEMENT) perform a criminal background check.