Disagreements between accelerationism




 
--
 
June 25th, 2021  
daily
 

Topic: Disagreements between accelerationism


The top US general repeatedly pushed back on then-President Donald Trump's argument that the military should intervene violently in order to quell the civil unrest that erupted around the country last year. Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley often found he was the lone voice of opposition to those demands during heated Oval Office discussions, according to excerpts of a new book, obtained by CNN, from Wall Street Journal reporter Michael Bender.
June 25th, 2021  
lljadw
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
The top US general repeatedly pushed back on then-President Donald Trump's argument that the military should intervene violently in order to quell the civil unrest that erupted around the country last year. Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley often found he was the lone voice of opposition to those demands during heated Oval Office discussions, according to excerpts of a new book, obtained by CNN, from Wall Street Journal reporter Michael Bender.
And, how could Bender know this ?He was not present at the Oval Office discussions .
June 27th, 2021  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lljadw
And, how could Bender know this ?He was not present at the Oval Office discussions .
It is a reasonable question although there are other methods of gathering information without being there in person.

According to the blurb in his book he has undertaken fresh interviews with Trump, key campaign advisers, and senior administration officials are paired with an exclusive collection of internal campaign memos, emails, and text messages for scores of never-before-reported details about the campaign.

How much of it is accurate, how much is interpretation and how much is utter bollocks I don't know as I wasn't there when he wrote it.

--
June 27th, 2021  
lljadw
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
It is a reasonable question although there are other methods of gathering information without being there in person.

According to the blurb in his book he has undertaken fresh interviews with Trump, key campaign advisers, and senior administration officials are paired with an exclusive collection of internal campaign memos, emails, and text messages for scores of never-before-reported details about the campaign.

How much of it is accurate, how much is interpretation and how much is utter bollocks I don't know as I wasn't there when he wrote it.

The claim of Bender was that Milley refused the order of Trump to commit the armed to stop civil unrest . And that this happened in the Oval Office .
While the refusal of Milley is possible, Bender fails to give a convincing proof :
an interview with Trump is useless, unless Trump said clearly during this interview that he gave Milley an order and that Milley refused to obey .
For which there is no proof :
interviews with campaign advisers are also useless, as one can assume that they were not present at the discussions .
interviews with officials are also useless,unless we know who these officials were, if they were present at the discussions (if there were any ) and if they corroborated the claims of Bender .
The story is an old one circulating already in 2020 and has not been proved .
Last year, the NYT claimed that it was Esper,Secretary of Defense, who opposed the use of the military against the civil unrest ,which is more plausible, as Trump fired him on November 9 2020 .
If what said Bender was the truth,it would already have been exploited by the enemies of Trump . Something that is not happening .
Last point : why should Trump summon the chairman of the joint chiefs,who has no authority over the chiefs of staff of army,etc, and not the army chief of staff, who is not subordinated to the chairman ?
July 1st, 2021  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lljadw
The claim of Bender was that Milley refused the order of Trump to commit the armed to stop civil unrest . And that this happened in the Oval Office .
While the refusal of Milley is possible, Bender fails to give a convincing proof :
an interview with Trump is useless, unless Trump said clearly during this interview that he gave Milley an order and that Milley refused to obey .
For which there is no proof :
interviews with campaign advisers are also useless, as one can assume that they were not present at the discussions .
interviews with officials are also useless,unless we know who these officials were, if they were present at the discussions (if there were any ) and if they corroborated the claims of Bender .
The story is an old one circulating already in 2020 and has not been proved .
Last year, the NYT claimed that it was Esper,Secretary of Defense, who opposed the use of the military against the civil unrest ,which is more plausible, as Trump fired him on November 9 2020 .
If what said Bender was the truth,it would already have been exploited by the enemies of Trump . Something that is not happening .
Last point : why should Trump summon the chairman of the joint chiefs,who has no authority over the chiefs of staff of army,etc, and not the army chief of staff, who is not subordinated to the chairman ?
I can't really refute your argument as it seems logical.
However, since Trump is out of office and the chaos of his presidency is over I am finding the post Trump world surprisingly relaxing.
 


Similar Topics
Obama adviser Rice stresses need to narrow disagreements with China