Disabled people in the military?

Okay I want to know what you all think about this issue of mine.....

I have epilepsy but I want to join the military. Do you think the military should allow people with disabilities to join the military? I feel that if there are people capable of fighting and who want to fight, sitting behind desks everyday then the military should fill those jobs with someone who wants to help their country (but has a disability).
I want to join the military to help my country with out hurting my country.
Please reply! I really would appreciate someone elses opinion!
Thanks bunches!
Cadet staff sergeant Stinson
MCJROTC

i think that certain disabilities should not hinder your chances on enlisting. however, im not too sure on epilepsy. im not a pro on this condition but i do know that flashes of lights can cause seizures. i dont know if the flash from muzzles, flashbangs or other things are enough to cause it, but if they are then i dont think they would allow combat duty to those with epilepsy. there are many non-combat duties that you can do tough.

behemoth79 said:
i think that certain disabilities should not hinder your chances on enlisting. however, im not too sure on epilepsy. im not a pro on this condition but i do know that flashes of lights can cause seizures. i dont know if the flash from muzzles, flashbangs or other things are enough to cause it, but if they are then i dont think they would allow combat duty to those with epilepsy. there are many non-combat duties that you can do tough.

I think he is talking about a non-combat job.

I feel that if there are people capable of fighting and who want to fight, sitting behind desks everyday then the military should fill those jobs with someone who wants to help their country (but has a disability).

Personally I dont have an issue with it however I know that in the NZ military those jobs are filled by civilian contractors as the military expects all its personal to be at a similar medical level regardless of role, I dont know how thorough the US entry medical is (ie do they have access to your previous medical records) nor do I know how accute your epilepsy so I would be inclined to see a recuiter and see what they have to say.

(As a little example I got through our medical with no problems what so ever despite being very short sighted simply by memorising lines 4-8 of the eye chart while the optician was talking to me).

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.
behemoth79-
Yes flashes of light can cause seizures, but I dont have that kind of epilepsy. I have only had one seizure, I was 13 when it happened, and it was apparenly enough for the doctors to tell me I have epilepsy. I am not interested in a combat duty simply because I DON'T want to end up in a situation where lives depend on me and I cant perform my duties becuase I (by chance) actually have another seizure. If I can get into the military, I wouldn't care if I was swabbing the deck in the JAG office, or filing paper work for 13 hours a day, just so long as I can help.

MontyB-
My epilepsy is very mild. (only one seizure) As far as I know, the US military DOES has access to my medical records. As far as talking to a recruiter comes into play, it seems like most of them don't want to help me. I recall that I was at lunch in school last year, and I placed a letter in the recruiters hand and asked him to write me back. In the letter I had written almost the exact same thing I did with this forum. It has been a year and a half since I gave him that letter.
Still no reply. :(

the_13th_redneck-
Yes, epilepsy is a "no-no" according to all my book research, but I am trying to find a loop-hole.

Thanks again,
Cadet staff sergeant Alison Stinson
MCJROTC

In my opinion, if you have a disability, but are seeking a job in which your disability does not hinder your ability to perform the job as well as others, they should damn well let you do it. Now, if you had epilepsy and you were say going into Demolition, that'd be a no, that kinda deal. I actually just read an article about some hardcore marines and soldiers training for serving in their units back in Iraq....after losing limbs. One of them was a Jump Master w/ the 101st, lost his leg, but is dead set on going back.

But that's my opinion. Go for it dude.

rocco-
You exactly explained how I feel. Thanks, I love the encouragement.

DanoeG-
That's great that the Jump Master still wants to keep going. That is really inspiring. Thanks for the story. I just wish I knew who to contact, who to talk to. If....when.......I join the military, I first want to try and join the marines. I'm not sure who I have to contact to do that. The recruiters dont pay attention to me. At one point I thought of contacting General Hagee, or General Nyland, Im just not sure how I would do that. If anyone has any ideas, email me.
alisonstinson@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Alison

Not all adolescent epilepsy is recurring. Many times it just goes away and never comes back. It's called Benign partial seizures in adolescence and that may be the case for you. Only a physician though can be certain. If nothing happens between the age of 13 and 17/18 when you may want to join the military or 21/22 should you go to college and join an ROTC program you may be able to have a career in the military anyway. Only time can tell and only a physician can be certain.

Charge 7-
Thanks, I will call my Doc as soon as I get home from my leadership academy. I really hope thats what I have. If I get the chance, I am going to join NROTC with the MC division, or what ever its called.
I also might to the OCS-officer canidate school.
Thank you for your input.
Alison Stinson

I'm all for it if they can do the job.
If by employing people with disabilities for rear jobs or base side jobs to free up more able bodied members to go to the sharp end, then great.
As for civie contractors, well in OZ we have to deal with unions etc. Does slow things down a little if there is disputes over extra or extended work hours etc.
No matter wha is in the contract, there is always some bloody drama to deal with.

I know that in WWII they hired color blined people to look at intel photos. They had the advantage of not being distracted by things that would normally distract a person.

Back