Dilligaf Road

Charge 7

Master Gunner
I'm not going to name names, though I do know the individuals involved. Several years ago they needed to make a new road coming in from the south gate at the military reservation here in Vermont. They had worked on it for quite awhile and when it was done the Lieutenant in charge instead of naming the road himself or asking someone higher to do so, offered the chance to name it to the men. So the men suggested "Dilligaf Road". The Lieutenant not knowing any better asked why the name? The men said that "Dilligaf" was a buddy dear to their hearts and a good representative of all the men. So the road was indeed named "Dilligaf Road". The post commander either didn't pay attention, didn't know or didn't care what the name meant so the name became official. More years go by and a visiting regular Army four star General who _had_ been enlisted knew very well what "Dilligaf" means and didn't like it one bit! Ordered the post commander to change the name immediately. However, when it was pointed out how very costly it would be to have all the maps remade and recirculated the General let it drop. So to this day the road leading in from Bolton, Vermont to the Ethan Allen Firing Center is named "Dilligaf Road". For those of you who don't know what "dilligaf" means it stands for "Does It Look Like I Give A F***?" :twisted:

i cant believe that the comm or the office didnt realise lol
those men must have had a right laugh lol

That is truly an old time term. I remember being in some obscure EM club and one of the many mottos painted on the wall under an ornate unit coat of arms was the phrase "THE HEARTBREAK BRIGADE DILLIGAF" on a nice ribbon under a shield. The guys from that unit would always toast the unit with the word DILLIGAF! One day someone told me what it stood for and I always joined them in their toasts from then on.
"To the Heartbreak brigade....DILLIGAF!" :drink:

We used MIDGAF sometimes written MIDGAFF, when asked an opinion.

"Me?? ... I don't give a (flying) f*ck"

We also used the expression FIG JAM a lot when talking of boastful persons

F*ck I'm Good. Just ask me.

Last edited:
In the air force, my first msgt ncoic used to say limledilligaf ... Look in my left eye does it look like i give a f@*K? (pronounce lime lil fa dilly gaf...thats how he said it)

Took me several months to figure out what he was talking about ;)

Back