Digital camouflage: CADPAT, MARPAT and other versions

Pete031 said:
yeah, it's different... the Americans have ripstop which is really good material... Ours do rip and there is usually a shortage of new ones (we call them combats in Canada) but the supply system is getting better... also, the material melts to the skin if burned... sort of sucks eh?? But you get on with what you got... another question... why does our tac vest only have room for 4 magazines (not including the one on your weapon)???

It's really simple actually, You see as the soviet motor infantry divisions assault through the Fulda Gap; us Canadians will from up our three brigades and plug into a NATO corps. Therefore we will always be close to our supply system, behind us, and we will know where then enemy is, as we engage him on the European plains in glorious mechanized warfare fare :rambo:

....at least that's what's going htrough the minds of Disney Land east (NDHQ)

I've got to wonder about the effectiveness of the US Army's new combats, the greyish digital cam ones. Though i'm sure a lot was spent on research and everything, i just have a difficult time seeing how wearing grey is supposed to hide someone in a green bush. Does anyone have any pictures of these clothes in the field?

I would say that it has to do, with the urban enviroments in which we see the majority of fighting taking place these days.

I have one thing to say. When you look at the Marine Cover, it is pretty had to see the Chevron on it. So I say it works well, because if its pixel like design

yeah I've had that problem before withthe Cadpat. An officer was standing up againt a wall, my course walked by,m didn't see the stribe....yeah that was a very long day.

r031Button said:
See that's not an issue, I get really irritated when the Cadets Program have better kit then Combat Soliders :x

That's not good at all. My friend just joined the reserves and he got CADPAT right away. He didn't have to wear ODs for a while or anything.

r031Button wrote:
See that's not an issue, I get really irritated when the Cadets Program have better kit then Combat Soliders

Well this is the first time I've ever heard such complaint. Just loosen up, the Military would give CADPATs to combat soldiers. Especially when they are trained for combat.

LOL, yeah, some CAP guys got all worked up at us because our JROTC unit bought MARPAT woodland BDUs (with our own money) and they were stuck with their old patterns instead of the new Air Force patterns. Suckers!

Those CAPers worked up what? What did they do?

Kane said:
r031Button wrote:
See that's not an issue, I get really irritated when the Cadets Program have better kit then Combat Soliders

Well this is the first time I've ever heard such complaint. Just loosen up, the Military would give CADPATs to combat soldiers. Especially when they are trained for combat.

Well as an infantry soldier, in an infantry unit; who's currently wearing olive drap...and who's Sgt is wearing olive drap as well as a great deal of others...I think I have a right to be a bit bitter.

When I did my bit in the middle east last year we had a big discussion over who's cams were best.
We thought that human eye picked out the new US marine cams quicker due to the strange fuzzy look of the pattern as compared to your 2 old pattern desert cams. Though the cookie cam was pretty stranage.
Not sure how the woodland version would go, but the smaller the pattern the more it would stand out in nature would be my guess.
Then again I wear AUSCAM.
New or faded it blends into our bush quite well.
The desert pattern we have looks a little weird in buildings but out in the desert its great.
And everyone wanted a set of us.
I like the colour and pattern in the European photo.

USAFAUX2004 said:
I have one thing to say. When you look at the Marine Cover, it is pretty had to see the Chevron on it. So I say it works well, because if its pixel like design

Marine covers don't have chevrons on them, they have the EGA emblem.

c/LCDR said:
USAFAUX2004 said:

The people you see with the eight point hat, that have their rank upon them are Seabees, Corpsmen, or Sgor Patrol/MAA. Ohe these are all Navy Personnell by the way if you can't understand, I just had to point that out.

We've had digital cam in australia since the late 80's. Our Auscam was designed by computer. They took thousands of images from around the world, especially the Australian bush, and used a computer program to analyze the shapes and colours by percentage, then create a random pattern of cloth that mimics those shape and colour percentages in the most accurate fashion. We came up with this.

Australian-photo-2.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "digital" refer to the pattern rather than the method of creation? The Aussie cammies you posted look like our old woodlands-splotchy, rather than digital.

By "digital" they mean pixelated. The intent is to break up the image even more than the camo pattern does for the environment. Your eye naturally breaks up dots due to the cones in your eyesballs. So they aren't talking about how the pattern was created.

By "digital" they mean pixelated. The intent is to break up the image even more than the camo pattern does for the environment. Your eye naturally breaks up dots due to the cones in your eyesballs. So they aren't talking about how the pattern was created.

Ah, gotcha.... I assumed it was to do with the manufacturing involved.

AUSCAM is very very similar in pattern to the WWII Marine camo as used in the pacific.
I always wondered if some lazy bugger just copied the pattern, added the bunny rabbit shapes and changed the colours to suit our bush and scrub!

Sea_Cadet said:
c/LCDR said:
USAFAUX2004 said:

The people you see with the eight point hat, that have their rank upon them are Seabees, Corpsmen, or Sgor Patrol/MAA. Ohe these are all Navy Personnell by the way if you can't understand, I just had to point that out.

Navy personel such as corpsman are not authorized to wear there rank on there cover if wearing USMC Digi's. i would guess its the same for seabees and that other job you listed. the navy when they wear the USMC uniform, they wear it to our standards, rank goes on collar, not on cover.

Well they can't put the EGA on their covers, as they aren't Marines. That would be wearing of an unauthorized decoration, wouldn't it?

Back