dig a hole to china

--
Boots

February 10th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Topic: dig a hole to china

There is an informal and anecdotal belief among Americans (and many others!) that if you dig a hole deep enough, eventually you would come out in China. This is theoretically possible if the hole is angled in the right way, but if you dig straight down and through the exact center of the earth from anywhere in the 48 contiguous United States, you'd come out in the Indian Ocean. Only in parts of Argentina or Chile would a straight hole emerge in China

February 10th, 2005  
Italian Guy

Yeah we use to say that too, chewie! A buddy of mine came out in an auckland's restroom...
February 10th, 2005  
Charge 7

"There is an informal and anecdotal belief among Americans (and many others!) that if you dig a hole deep enough, eventually you would come out in China."

Uh, nobody actually believes it. It's used as a gag only.
--
Boots
February 10th, 2005  
A Can of Man

What? You meant that hole I've been digging was for nothing??
February 10th, 2005  
rotc boy

yeah, we all kind of know that if you did try, you would die when you got close enough to the core of the earth because you would melt
Americans arent idiots ya know
February 10th, 2005  
Italian Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotc boy
yeah, we all kind of know that if you did try, you would die when you got close enough to the core of the earth because you would melt
Americans arent idiots ya know
It goes without saying. It would be quicker but too hot.
February 10th, 2005  
Sexybeast

i saw on cartoons stuff, like kids dig a hole than they come up from ground they r in china
February 10th, 2005  
A Can of Man

I saw a Daffy Duck cartoon where he got smashed through the earth and came out of China.
Also some advertisement about some guy who goes down into a trap door and ends up coming out in an Australian party and of course the camera's upside down.
These aren't meant to be educational
February 11th, 2005  
Darcia

Have you every thought we may be trying to make it to the Indian Ocean and Not China?
February 11th, 2005  
bllrby2104

im going to prove everyone wrong. im going to dig a whole, myself, directly through the center of the earth. and come out in china. :P