Difficult Situations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
From a comment on Doody's thread about the soldier in Iraq trapped in a burning Humvee unable to be rescued. I commented on a story related from a russian friend who was a conscript in the Russian army from 1994-1996. He had told me of an incident in Chechnya where another soldier was wounded and strapped to a board and hoisted up in a window. Behind him at least one sniper had set up shop and had effectively closed an avenue of approach. After being pinned unable to advance his unit was ordered to retreat and the officer then shot this hostage soldier, killing him.

Now Russians are culturally given to hyperbole and I bear that in mind with the story. There is also no love lost between conscripts and the career soldiers of the Russian army and this conflict was and still is highly unpopular and very political. But even in the west stories of this type persist in rumour and hollywood if no where else. I personally have never seen anything of the like but have heard more than one story of this nature about past conflicts of "mercy killings".

My question is this, is this myth or fact? Do these indeed happen or is it the stuff of popular legend?

i believe true. lots of snipers in vietnam also would injure one, and he would lay there and scream till a rescue team came out and the sniper would pick them off too.

I would of shot him. Leave no man behind.

I assume all other methods have been tryed to recover him and we were being forced to give ground. I fear being captured by a muslim insurgent over death I would expect my comrades to do the same.

I can see the logic of it but I know I could NOT do it. I was a medic and I never killed anyone and even when I have been in fights more often than not I have had great remorse when the odd person was permanently injured. I am too soft.

I know there is nothing "wrong" with it. But then again there is. I agree completely with Sleepy's sentiment. I would rather my buddies put me down if I was being dragged off or held and they absolutely could not get me out. I saw the videos of the hostages who have been beheaded and I am absolutely :cen: scared of that. I would never let myself be taken if I have the means. I have read accounts of the war in Chechnya and believe that if this story is true and I do believe it is that the officer did the right and humane thing.

I say there is something wrong with my conscience in that I am pretty sure if I was taken and if my buddies did not put me down and let me be taken I would reserve equal hate for them as my captors. Its just a :cen: situation from the get go in my opinion.

But then part of me thinks that this all smacks of too much Hollywood false bravado. However my experience is limited and thus my reason for posting this here for comment from those who know more than I.

oh. yes, the best time to escape is always right when your captured, but if i got caught i would be scared :cen: less of what they would do to me.

I agree with the die before taken option, but I would make a request of my comrades if they say me being carried off and they couldnt stop it. I would ask them to use their last round on me and take as many of the other F*****S out aswell

F*ck that, i'd take my chances with the torture/questioning. Screw guaranteeing a death there's always tomorrow when you're alive.

Hmmm... the thought of being captured? Sawing my neck with a dull blade, then ripping my head off, and video taping it as they get their rocks off screaming, "Allah Akbar!" Maybe disemboweling me and then quartering me. Dragging my flaming corpse through the streets, smashing me with stones and bashing me with sticks, dismembering me along the way. They might even hang me from a bridge to sway in the breeze afterward. That's a lot to think about. :x

If captured I'd make their time with me a living Hell, like they'd surely make mine. I'd spit at them, throw urine and fisces at them, blaspheme their religion and mock them and their people, offend them in any way possible, make racket to keep them awake hour after hour, strike them, bite them, claw them any chance I had. I'd wage my own little war on them - in a twisted way keeping myself amused. I'd basically force them to want to kill me, moreso than they already would. We all know that when people are discomposed they make mistakes, often major ones with severe consequences, and if I was presented an opportunity to mount an escape/assault I would take the initiative, killing as many as possible and escaping, or die trying.

Desperate circumstances require desperate measures.

If my post offended anyone, I'm not sorry, that's the reality of the hypothetical situation.

Having seen what some of these people can do to prisoners, then if was trapped in burning vehicle, already suffering from burns, then a quick exit from a friend would seem like a mercifully option, lets face it you would not let a dog suffer like that, then a human being, or does it just offend your sensibilities

There is a lot less hollywood in real combat. The arabs are not stupid notice every one who gets there head cut off is wearing a jump suit and is bound and gaged your not going to get any escape. If your unit is falling back then your :cen: . Every solider knows well at least combat arms that his unit will do every thing in its power to recover you even if its just your body.

In ramadi We have fought all day and well into the night using every thing in are power to recover the bodies of downed marines we leave no man behind we killed 600 enemy combatants to do it. By we i mean my entire heavy mech brigade tanks brads and attached marines.

must say its going to be hard...

I would imagine his life, try to get deeper involved with this person.. and think about only his story, his family, his life.. Then killing him, is going to be hard. You get what am saying??

Smiddiot said:
F*ck that, i'd take my chances with the torture/questioning. Screw guaranteeing a death there's always tomorrow when you're alive.

I agree. There's a tiny chance something will go your way, and you might get out of it. Why throw away your entire life? You only live once.

And about maing yourself as much of a pain in the ass as possible, like one guy said... That's moronic. First off I bet you'd be to :cen: - scared to do anything like that anyway. I doubt you've ever been captured, and if you have you'd know you don't get to dance around in a tutu all day playing anti-Muslim games. The more you piss someone off, the more it's going to hurt you. They aren't going to care about a few remarks they probably can't understand, but if you piss them off and get tortured for 12 more hours, then you're going to care a hell of alot.

Not to mention there's the chance that you'll be let go in some kind of deal, or for some other reason. Pissing off your captors ruins your chances of surviving this way though.

And, if your plan works, and they get so angry they kill you instead of torturing you (which wouldn't happen, anyway, but whatever), what happens if 10 seconds after that the place your being held is stormed and you would've been freed? Surely you'd want to stay alive as long as possible, just for the minute chance that you could survive somehow?

I never said I wouldn't be scared to do such things, I'd be lying, but then again I never said I wasn't crazy enough to do such things. I'm not going to sit and wait for almost certain doom, that's for sure.

ISLAND FOX and sleepy scout, you did make some valid points, however, about rescue/recovery operations.

I haven't experienced war yet, but I have experienced other things that on their own tier of things are just as horrible, I've stared fear straight in the eyes before many times... And I've always sucked it up and told that :cen: to bring whatever it may, being completely frightened of what it may very well bring unto me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back