different prices of lives

Chinese constitutional rights.

WOW! Is that like Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin believing in PEACE?

Once again, another sign to show the un-educated how wrong Communist China really is.

Sounds like "Animal Farm" to me. " All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Devil's Advocate:

Do we in the US do things that differently? If a doctor is killed through negligence, his family can sue the negligent party. Usually a settlement is based on compensation for income. Lets say, for the sake of argument, that the doctor made $100,000 a year.

Lets replay the situation with a custodian, again, for the sake of argument. We'll say he makes $30,000 a year. If his family is compensated according to his income, obviously they receive less of a settlement.

Is this situation so different? Two different lives apparently have different monetary values. Essentially our system of capitalism dictates a similar solution as the system of communism does in the situation in China.

I don't know about that. When a slip-and-fall lawyer gets a case, he would rather the person is indigent at best and homeless if possible. The jury is always for the little guy. I've seen it happen on too many juries who think the richer you are, the less you deserve because you can afford obscene amounts of insurance.

moving0target said:
Devil's Advocate:

Do we in the US do things that differently? If a doctor is killed through negligence, his family can sue the negligent party. Usually a settlement is based on compensation for income. Lets say, for the sake of argument, that the doctor made $100,000 a year.

Lets replay the situation with a custodian, again, for the sake of argument. We'll say he makes $30,000 a year. If his family is compensated according to his income, obviously they receive less of a settlement.

Is this situation so different? Two different lives apparently have different monetary values. Essentially our system of capitalism dictates a similar solution as the system of communism does in the situation in China.

Hmm I wish I could read the article again to make a fair comparison but it says I have to register and my gmail account is full of spam already, but I guess my only response to this is that a person's occupation in the US is totally under the control of that individual. If you want to make <$30k a year or even $500k a year, that's totally in your control. Whereas in China, social mobility is pretty damn tight. I guess the key here is social mobility. I do believe that society places a value in your profession and that's where the monetary value comes in.

Once again I agree with moving0target (good you joined the forum:)). This is as common as a freeway. We all heard to stories of people who couldn't pay their health insurance and were told to go to another hospital when in distress.
In a world that turns around money, inequality is automatic. There has been a divide between the have's and the have's not, here, in the US, Brazil, Uganda and China. So.. how tragic it is for this man, it is not specific to China only. '
Just another example; why do women pro-tennisers earn less prize-money then the men?

Ted said:
Just another example; why do women pro-tennisers earn less prize-money then the men?

Cuz the men bring their own balls? I dunno.
:hide:

Life is not fair. In some places according to our subjective judgements it is more unfair than others, a matter of perspective I think.

bulldogg said:
Cuz the men bring their own balls? I dunno.
:hide:

Life is not fair. In some places according to our subjective judgements it is more unfair than others, a matter of perspective I think.

HAHAHAHAHA :pray:

That is actually quite a funny remark there Bulldogg! You know the same goes for snooker? Men make more... way more then women, so I guess it is a ball-thing. Does anybody know about judo, or horse-back riding... these mammals bring their own set.....:-?

Back