Difference between Infantry and Artillery?

Italian Guy

Milforum Hitman
Can anyone explain me what the difference between Artillery and Infantry is? Thanks.
does this vary from country to country?

Yours,
Tiffany ;)

Personality!1

Big time

This I don't understand :shock:

But as for the difference between artillery and infantry, artillery fire big guns from a long distance and provide support on the battlefield. Infantry close with and eliminate the enemy in close contact. That is as simple as I can think to put it.

AussieNick said:
Personality!1

Big time

This I don't understand :shock:

But as for the difference between artillery and infantry, artillery fire big guns from a long distance and provide support on the battlefield. Infantry close with and eliminate the enemy in close contact. That is as simple as I can think to put it.

Pretty much it, before Infantry close on their target the artillery will bomb the hell out of the place to make the infantries job a bit easier.

Another important thing is to locate and counter fire enemy artillery units.

Oh and their personality.... I won't draw parallells :D

:D thanks guys. Because I thought air force bombed a target before infantry did its job. So by artillery you mean tanks and small range rockets? By infantry you just mean soldiers on feet or jeep?

Not exactly tanks i dont think, i dont exactly know what they are but these big cannon-type things. They are air lifted from place to place is my idea of artillery but I dont think a tank is classed as artillery.
And yes Infantry as in men (they arent just in jeeps and on foot though, they come in planes, armoured vehicles, choppers everything!)

ARTILLERY Consists of Towed howitzers like the M198 155 mm, Self propelled Howitzers in 8 inch and 155mm. The Marines also field a towed 105mm howitzer.

MLRS is considered Rocket Artillery

Naval Gunfire while different in trajectory is considered Naval Artillery.

The difference between infantry and artillery is that the infantry's purpose is to be fighting unit holding areas and do the dirty work. Mortar's and Artillery's purpose is to support infantry's job with indirect fire spotted by artillery spotter squads wich are hanging around with infantry.

Artillery is the best friend and the worst enemy of the infantry. For example useful in softing enemy before assault, defend against attackin enemy units and to temporarly close some area which enemy is not wished to use.

"Another important thing is to locate and counter fire enemy artillery units. "

As important is to knock out enemy arty spotters or another way to disable their ability to act. For artillery important is also to change position quick after rounds have been fired before enemy is up to spot and start counterfire.

Not exactly tanks i dont think, i dont exactly know what they are but these big cannon-type things. They are air lifted from place to place is my idea of artillery but I dont think a tank is classed as artillery.
And yes Infantry as in men (they arent just in jeeps and on foot though, they come in planes, armoured vehicles, choppers everything!)

It depends on what kind of tank your talking about. There are different variants of tanks that are suited to become a mobile artillery.

I can't remember what unit it was, but an artillery unit is being MOUT trained to assist the Infantry units over there in Iraq. Kind of says that they might not need so many big guns at this point in the war.

Heya ,

On the lighter Side :D............But makes Sense
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE INFANTRY, THE ARTILLERY AND THE ARMOURED

HAPPINESS IS . . .
Infantry: A good rifle
Armoured: A big tank
Artillery: A loud boom

UPON HEARING FIREWORKS
Infantry: Cool, just like a live fire excercise
Armoured: Not loud enough
Artillery: Fireworks? What fireworks?

OTHER TRADES
Infantry: Waste of rations
Armoured: Waste of rations
Artillery: Waste of rations

IDEA OF FUN
Infantry: Not having to "pepper-pot" an entire grid square before the objective
Armoured: Racing across a grid square on "full stab"
Artillery: Levelling a grid square

FAVOURITE SONG
Infantry: "Ballad of the Green Beret"
Armoured: "Purple Haze"
Artillery: Anything, just play it LOUD!

BIGGEST LUXURY IN THE FIELD
Infantry: Engineers blowing trenches for them with C4
Armoured: Grunts to dig their trenches for them
Artillery: Cable

A LONG ROUTE MARCH WITH FULL KIT
Infantry: 20 clicks
Armoured: From the hangars to the tank
Artillery: What's a route march?

OFFICERS
Infantry: Are morons and should stay away from the trenchlines
Armoured: Are morons and should stay out of the vehicles
Artillery: Are morons and should stay away from the gun lines

FAVOURITE MODE OF TRANSPORTATION
Infantry: Anything but walking
Armoured: Tanks. Tanks. Tanks. TankstankstankstanksTANKS!
Artillery: Don't you have to move around to require transport?

BIGGEST ***** IN THE FIELD
Infantry: The weather
Armoured: Coffee maker in tank not working
Artillery: Only having basic cable

BREAKFAST IN THE FIELD
Infantry: I don't care what it is, just so long as I can sit down to eat it
Armoured: Hot coffee and rum with a beer chaser
Artillery: Eggs over easy, crispy bacon, sausages, toast and Tim Horton's coffee

WHAT THEY CALL THEMSELVES
Infantry: Death Techs
Armoured: Cavalry
Artillery: 10 Mile Snipers

WHAT OTHERS CALL THEM
Infantry: Grunts
Armoured: Zipperheads
Artillery: Drop shorts

Resuming a bit of sanity. :camo:
thanks guys. Because I thought air force bombed a target before infantry did its job. So by artillery you mean tanks and small range rockets? By infantry you just mean soldiers on feet or jeep?

Emmm Not exactly............ Artillery is more of stationary .............and GENERALLY fires from distance............you might say Big Guns (e.g Boforse)............artilarry renerally looks for a maximim range form a stationary point..............the more the range your Artilarry has more it will be efective....

Artillery in action see them firing :
arty-fire-ani.gif

Infentry Goes in for the kill.

Cheers
-=SF_13=-

Admin edit: Fake signature removed, please buy the signature privilegie in the forum PX instead.. ;)

I can't remember what unit it was, but an artillery unit is being MOUT trained to assist the Infantry units over there in Iraq. Kind of says that they might not need so many big guns at this point in the war.

That is why the Pentagon scratched out the Crusader Mobile Artillery program knowing that this is an ideal weapon against the Soviet Union. But, as you have said, if the Soviet Union no longer exists then there is no need for massive Artillery.

the more the range your Artilarry has more it will be efective....

Actually the more accurate it is, the more effective it will be. If you are stressing on range, then use long range guided ballistics. But, if you want to be frugal, then the howitzer is an excellent choice.

Hi,

Actually the more accurate it is, the more effective it will be

Actually you are right in a way ..................but i don't agree with that entirely.

If you are looking for accuracy you should use Guided Missels.

Artillery in itself makes assumption about the target and relies on heavy cannon fire and hopes that it ruffels the enemy position to a extent that it gives your infantry enough time to make a move or hide their movement under the cover of their fire.

Second use i think is to create Noise ..........to distract the enemy.............pakistani Army generally have used Artillary to hide their movement of their armoured vehicles or infantry.

Third just fire some shells everyday just to tell the opposition i am here .............don't try any misadventure ..:D ( generally done at peace time )

To me the actual traditional Artillery is dying as more sufacticiated wepons are coming to light ..................or should i say artelliary is changing form..........

This is my openion on the matter .

Cheers
-=SF_13=-

Admin edit: Fake signature removed, please buy the signature privilegie in the forum PX instead.. ;)

Pretty good but heres some more nicknames for ya.

Artillery

Gun Bunnies
Muzzle Monkies

Armor
Before the M1 Abrams- DAT (Dumb a** Tanker)
After the M1- CDAT (Computerized Dumb A**Tanker)
Don't know what they drive- Tread head

To me the actual traditional Artillery is dying as more sufacticiated wepons are coming to light ..................or should i say artelliary is changing form..........

I agree. When we refer to artillery we do not distinguish it as merely a long range weapon, we usually distinguish artillery by its role in the battlefield.

Italian Guy said:
Can anyone explain me what the difference between Artillery and Infantry is? Thanks.
does this vary from country to country?

Yours,
Tiffany ;)
Always true:
Infantry="bang, bang, bang, bang, bang ..." and the occasional "Boom!"
Artillery="KABOOM!!"

"Artillery

Gun Bunnies
Muzzle Monkies"

Those kind of nicknames seem to be quite universal. Old wise men used to say: "Be stupid but not a tube f****r".

Back