Difference between Infantry and Artillery?

Doody said:
EuroSpike said:
"HE DELAY: troops in the tree line, light earthworks, heavy armor "

Why don't you adjust grenade's detonator more sensitive when shooting troops in the tree line to get grenades detonate by impact with tops of the trees wich causes better schrapnel effective against soft targets stationed below than exploding by impact on the ground level? Incoming artillery rounds detonating abowe causes more casualties for infantry and are more difficult to get cover from their effects.

On light or soft earthworks grenade will go deeper in to ground before detonating -> less effective.

HE delay only has a delay of .005 seconds. Light earthworks have a depth of 1 meter, give or take. That .005 delay will allow the round to explode inside the works rather than ontop. The delay will allow for max damage. As for firing in the tree line, some delay rounds will explode in the air while others will impact on the ground. Remember all those WWII moves where artillery was exploding the tree trunks. That is the effect of delay. A fuze actually is triggered by a branch and explodes before the ground.

As for having gernades. There are no gernades in a HE Delay. The only round to have gernades is the ICM and DPICM rounds. Also, there is no way to change the delay of a HE Delay round.

Yes, but how grenade exploded inside the ground can be more effective than a grenade exploded above the soft target _dug in and covered_? The whole idea is to get schrapnel effect to spread out differently. A basic fox hole without cover roof doesn't give a good cover against flying objects striking from above.

EuroSpike said:
Yes, but how grenade exploded inside the ground can be more effective than a grenade exploded above the soft target _dug in and covered_? The whole idea is to get schrapnel effect to spread out differently. A basic fox hole without cover roof doesn't give a good cover against flying objects striking from above.

for targets that do not have any overhead cover, we use the VT and Time fuzes. The VT round has a type of primitive radar signal in it. Once the round is 20m above the target, the round explodes, sending steel rain down on the enemy. Time works the same way except it is set to explode so may seconds after it has been fired. The FDC should have the correct data so the round will explode above the target. If the target has overhead cover, the shrapnel will do little more than make noise on the roof. I believe a few layers of sandbags will stop most shrapnel.

When I got back from Iraq, I saw some really good picts of the effects of air burst ARTY. There were a bunch of dead Iraqi soldiers who had multiple holes in their uniforms. They were dug in, so their death came from above. The pictures were from Basera so that was the work of the British.

I found the pict. There were a few of them. This one is not that graphic. A lot of peace loving organizations used these photos to say the US and British forces slaughtered surrendering Iraqis. I can assure you that these soldiers died before the British soldiers could even see what they were attacking.
0322_dead_iraqi_soldiers_white_flag2.jpg

Doc.S said:
Artillery is not attack helicopters a form of mobile artillery too?
Not so much ARTY as close air support. Anything that is not ARTY but puts down indirect fire falls into the general category of Fire Support. The Army is changing the books because of Afganistan and Iraq. I believe attack helicopter will be different than CAS (close air support).

"for targets that do not have any overhead cover, we use the VT and Time fuzes. The VT round has a type of primitive radar signal in it. Once the round is 20m above the target, the round explodes, sending steel rain down on the enemy. Time works the same way except it is set to explode so may seconds after it has been fired. The FDC should have the correct data so the round will explode above the target. If the target has overhead cover, the shrapnel will do little more than make noise on the roof. I believe a few layers of sandbags will stop most shrapnel."

As an infantryman i don't know very well all details of new technology ammunitions with intelligence wich we call "älyammus" also "intelligent ammunition" but the shrapnel effect in picture you showed was what i meant. And to get that effect in open should grenades been detonated somehow else because without tree coverage there is no tops of trees to detonate. Only bad thing in tech ammunition is their high price. Is a one killed enemy soldier worth of that? Certainly rather to waste money than men anyway.

Few sandbags or about 1m ground as a shelter roof should stop most of them and give best cover possible. It only takes time to build a foxhole with shelter good enough and sandbags aren't always available. Damn they are heavy with full of sand :cry:

Technology is wonderfull isn't it? Who could imagine in WW1 that someday would be able to use artillery to dispence mines and destroy tanks with intelligent grenades to penetrate top armor with spike/Javelin style top attack?

The definition of artillery is pretty hard to pin down. There are the huge cannons capable of the same distance and destruction of 11 inch guns on battleships. When I joined in `62, I went to the 47th Artillery Bd, 3rd missile battalion which replaced coastal defense guns. The 47th, I understand had reactivated from a WWII howitzer Bn. ADA units in the US were changed completely to missile defense. Some Infantry units are still around from WWII but Arty brigades change constantly, not only in name but type of weaponry used depending on the need of a particular theatre. When the enemy has a good air defense system (SAMS) then it's better to soften a target with artillery than lose an aircraft and multi- million dollar plane especially if you have air superiority to protect the arty batteries. Even though I never saw a cannon, I was in two artillery battalions for three years.

For all of you who are interested, I have a link to explain how target discrimination and communication between Allies is implemented in the field in this Century. I work for a division of Raytheon (Network Centric Systems) which specializes in battlefield communication. When you reach the site, click on products and see the missiles, smart bombs, smart artillery shells, etc, etc. It will be interesting and you don't have to wander through Google to get the specs on recent war materials.

http://www.raytheon.com/products/static/node4357.html

Read about in the Marine Corps Gazzette. I'm waiting to see how it plays out. A little leery of too much technology.

03USMC said:
Read about in the Marine Corps Gazzette. I'm waiting to see how it plays out. A little leery of too much technology.

Come on, take a peek. You can see how far technology has come and just what our troops are using and/or have at their disposal. Especially read the blurb about JSOW. Air to ground missile/bomb that has just been updated.

Took a peek and I admit it's interesting and if it works consistently it's great.

Maybe I'm old because the words of Gunny still ring in my ears.

" Everything we got including our rifles are made by the lowest bidder."

03USMC said:
Took a peek and I admit it's interesting and if it works consistently it's great.

Maybe I'm old because the words of Gunny still ring in my ears.

" Everything we got including our rifles are made by the lowest bidder."

I always believed that until this Halliburton thing came along. I think the Government slowly,under the radar, changed some philosophies. One is that the tried and true people who have performed for them in time of need such as this war we've taken to the terrorists. You're right about some of the low bidders though. I remember seeing an M1 carbine that was built by Ford Motor Co. :(

Back