Difference between Infantry and Artillery?

NYC88mm said:
actually, the chinese 155mm GUn-HOWtizer is both direct fire and indirect, its very capable of kiling a tank if directed and aimed wiht a laser range finder

btw, the chinese has a couple thousand of these toys planned for thenext 5 years[/img]

155mm with different AT ammunitions is enough to penetrate and gives a hard punch without penetration but think about which one is going to win, a modern MBT or an immobile arty piece? Howitzer may shoot once and due to immobility stays on field as a sitting duck. When spotted, it will be an easy target for a modern MBT. Howitzers are also quite bad to take punishment from enemy indirect fire. Guns agains tanks belong to times of WW1 and 2.

Of course if you got guns enough, just put them all line and engage incoming tanks. Don't care about casualties because gun is only a gun purchased with money and the crew is only a few pieces of meat easily replaced.

Excellent. Go ahead and use it on somebody then.

NYC88mm said:
actually, the chinese 155mm GUn-HOWtizer is both direct fire and indirect, its very capable of kiling a tank if directed and aimed wiht a laser range finder

btw, the chinese has a couple thousand of these toys planned for thenext 5 years[/img]

off cource, the chinese will never have a huge no-man's land in a war, that is learned from the soviets when fighting a superior quality army( nowadays, will change in the future) If the frontlines are kept only a hundred meters from the us troops, then the chinese will ahve a huge advantage as the us are afraid to use their weapons on their own troops

the 155mm could fire 20 miles ot, a range no us tank could match, and if spotted by chinese inf, they will point a laser sight on the tank and the 155 will fire a gujided missile

It can direct-fire 20 miles?? I'm impressed!! :lol:

Along those lines, take a Paladin or foreign equivalent self-propelled artillery. In a direct fire match, the round from the Paladin is throwing a much larger projectile. Still, I wouldn't advise anything like that being the battlefield norm. Artillery's role of hammering an enemy area before advancing will remain essential on the battlefield for a long time to come.

NYC88mm said:
off cource, the chinese will never have a huge no-man's land in a war, that is learned from the soviets when fighting a superior quality army( nowadays, will change in the future) If the frontlines are kept only a hundred meters from the us troops, then the chinese will ahve a huge advantage as the us are afraid to use their weapons on their own troops

the 155mm could fire 20 miles ot, a range no us tank could match, and if spotted by chinese inf, they will point a laser sight on the tank and the 155 will fire a gujided missile

"If the frontlines are kept only a hundred meters from the us troops, then the chinese will ahve a huge advantage as the us are afraid to use their weapons on their own troops"

If i understod correctly, you mean the used security range between target area and the nearest own unit and the range depends on the firing artillery unit? Security range with light mortars less, 155mm more. Certainly it is possible to care a **** about security ranges if needed and it is up to forward observer's skills, just adjust arty fire more accurate not to hit own troops and so give no advantage of close range for enemy.

"It can direct-fire 20 miles?? I'm impressed!!"

So am i. Ammunition must be somekind of anti-material. Alien technology 8)

With a touch of propaganda, the local pig raised by hard working, pure hearted farmers can outrun a porsche.

Anyways, artillery is just more practical being indirect fire weapons. There's too much limitations on how a direct fire artillery piece can be used.

I see some people have had questions about the capabilities of Artillery. Since I am an Forward Observer, I will spill what I know.

US ARMY

60mm mortars
range: 3400m
burst radius: 25m
Ammo: HE (high explosive), WP (white phosphorus)

81mm Mortars
range: 5400m
burst radius: 30m
Ammo: HE, WP, RP (red phosphorus), illumination

105mm Artillery
range: 19,500m
burst radius: 35m
Ammo: HE QUICK, HE DELAY, HE CP (CONCRETE PIERCING), WP, RP, HE TIME, HE VT (Variable time), ICM (improved conventional munitions), Illumination, FASCAM (mines)

155mm Artillery
range: 30,000m
burst radius: 50m
Ammo: same as 105

Ammo types

HE QUICK: high explosive round that explodes on impact
HE DELAY: high explosive round that explodes .005 seconds after impact
HE CP: high explosive round that explodes .25 seconds after impact
HE VT: high explosive round that explodes 20m above target area
HE TIME: high explosive round that explodes above the target, set by time of flight
ICM: like a cluster bomb. Bomblets leave round in the air, land on the ground and explode.
Illum: lights the night for 2 minutes or more
WP, RP: phosphorus rounds
RAAMS: remote anti armor mine system
ADAM: areal denial artillery munitions (anti personnel)

USES

HE QUICK: troops in the open, prone, light armor, vehicles
HE DELAY: troops in the tree line, light earthworks, heavy armor
HE CP: bunkers, buildings
HE TIME/VT: troops in trenches, foxholes, trucks, open, prone
WP, RP: fuel points, vehicles, equipment
the rest should be self explainitory

that should be everything. The range of the 155mm ARTY has changed since I got in. I am not too sure of the exact range of it. If anyone needs anything explained more, just ask

SGT Doody

in a war, one should always considered artillery not just as a preparation waeapon but also as the support and basis of strategy, one might say the battle on the hook was not lost by the chiinese due to the use of artillery, which gave way to stalemate that prevented un penetration of nk.

: in this battle, chinese forwardlines units hid behind tunnels with radios and supplies, while the UN troops took over, the chiense artillery would be pounding the heights occupied just by un troops. IT was also used by UN troops aginist chinese troops.

my point is artillery is jsut as effective as tanks and armor, the point being fighting a defensive war: just look at the battle of kursk, in which russian artilelry held off german tanks for days until soviet relief tank columsn could counterattack

godofthunder9010 said:
Shooting relatively straight, similar to a tank round or a bullet.

As shooting like a tank or bullet, I would say 155mm round is not effective past 600 meters or so. I watched the 105mm ARTY shoot direct lay at 600 meters with limited effectiveness. If there was no direct hit, the round skipped off the ground an exploded 1000 meters away.

There is a way to get "steel on steel" with the 155mm at the max range of the gun. I forgot to mention copperhead rounds. Copperhead is laser guided ARTY. The round is shot in the general area of the target. Once the round leaves the tube, the fins deploy. A COLT team, a 3 man element with a laser, lases the target as the round gets near. The round makes adjustments and is suppose to find its way to the target. BUT bad things happen when a fin fails to deploy. I had a round land about 100 meters from my location because something went wrong with the fins.

Basically ground combat is drawn around the artillery fire zones.
They set up no man's lands where manouver would be suicidal.
The biggest casualty to artillery was in fact the Chinese army in the Korean War. The vast majority of their casualities were determined to have come from artillery, which is why despite their incredible numerical advantage, the position of the current DMZ was as far as they got.
Artillery is essential because it is the easiest and most efficient way in delivering massive, concentrated firepower on a target.
that's the key, firepower delivery.

NYC88mm said:
in a war, one should always considered artillery not just as a preparation waeapon but also as the support and basis of strategy, one might say the battle on the hook was not lost by the chiinese due to the use of artillery, which gave way to stalemate that prevented un penetration of nk.

: in this battle, chinese forwardlines units hid behind tunnels with radios and supplies, while the UN troops took over, the chiense artillery would be pounding the heights occupied just by un troops. IT was also used by UN troops aginist chinese troops.

my point is artillery is jsut as effective as tanks and armor, the point being fighting a defensive war: just look at the battle of kursk, in which russian artilelry held off german tanks for days until soviet relief tank columsn could counterattack

"in a war, one should always considered artillery not just as a preparation waeapon but also as the support and basis of strategy, one might say the battle on the hook was not lost by the chiinese due to the use of artillery, which gave way to stalemate that prevented un penetration of nk."

In Napoleon times and in mud hut countries against a robber flock.

"my point is artillery is jsut as effective as tanks and armor, the point being fighting a defensive war: just look at the battle of kursk, in which russian artilelry held off german tanks for days until soviet relief tank columsn could counterattack"

In WWII. In modern warfare modern MBTs and weapon systems will beat immobile unprotected artillery 100-0.

"HE DELAY: troops in the tree line, light earthworks, heavy armor "

Why don't you adjust grenade's detonator more sensitive when shooting troops in the tree line to get grenades detonate by impact with tops of the trees wich causes better schrapnel effective against soft targets stationed below than exploding by impact on the ground level? Incoming artillery rounds detonating abowe causes more casualties for infantry and are more difficult to get cover from their effects.

On light or soft earthworks grenade will go deeper in to ground before detonating -> less effective.

on foot

The infanrty is always the first guys to actually go face to face with the enemy. The secure buildings and take out what ever they can. If so artillery is called into do sonme heavy damage!!!

Italian Guy said:
Can anyone explain me what the difference between Artillery and Infantry is? Thanks.
does this vary from country to country?

Yours,
Tiffany ;)

Well, artillery tends to have the larger weapons. Infantry tends to have the more rapid firing, mobile and agile weapons(and more people)... Artillery goes BOOM! Infantry(for the most part) does not.

silent driller said:
Italian Guy said:
Can anyone explain me what the difference between Artillery and Infantry is? Thanks.
does this vary from country to country?

Yours,
Tiffany ;)

Well, artillery tends to have the larger weapons. Infantry tends to have the more rapid firing, mobile and agile weapons(and more people)... Artillery goes BOOM! Infantry(for the most part) does not.

Yes, but the main purpose of artillery is to be a _support unit_ to the fighting force, like engineers, like AAA, like maintenance and signal corps. Their first purpose is to support and make it possible to fighting units to act. It is not only a matter of bigger weapons.

Artillery is the best friend of infantry and enemy's artillery is the worst enemy of the infantry.

EuroSpike said:
"HE DELAY: troops in the tree line, light earthworks, heavy armor "

Why don't you adjust grenade's detonator more sensitive when shooting troops in the tree line to get grenades detonate by impact with tops of the trees wich causes better schrapnel effective against soft targets stationed below than exploding by impact on the ground level? Incoming artillery rounds detonating abowe causes more casualties for infantry and are more difficult to get cover from their effects.

On light or soft earthworks grenade will go deeper in to ground before detonating -> less effective.

HE delay only has a delay of .005 seconds. Light earthworks have a depth of 1 meter, give or take. That .005 delay will allow the round to explode inside the works rather than ontop. The delay will allow for max damage. As for firing in the tree line, some delay rounds will explode in the air while others will impact on the ground. Remember all those WWII moves where artillery was exploding the tree trunks. That is the effect of delay. A fuze actually is triggered by a branch and explodes before the ground.

As for having gernades. There are no gernades in a HE Delay. The only round to have gernades is the ICM and DPICM rounds. Also, there is no way to change the delay of a HE Delay round.

Basically fire that the guys shooting the weapon can see the target through their own optics. There is no fire control team adjusting their fire from another point.
Direct fire also means that when the team fires their weapon, the weapon will impact within their line of sight.

Doody said:
what is your definition of direct fire. THat has been debated on this thread and I am not which definition to use

Back