Diet?

VEK

Can anyone suggest a good dieting technique in order to lose weight quickly BUT also tone muscles? not for me, i'm healthy enough, but my 20 y/o friend wants to join the UK infantry, and i've told him to lose some weight, but he keeps saying "i dunno how to". any suggestions? also, how would i build up his muscles from practically nothing to quite musclebound (especially leg muscles) . i've started to take him out running, but he can hardly last 2 miles. i usually end up running the last 13 miles myself :lol: but it's a shame for him. he's losing maybe 15 yrs off of his life because he's unhealthy. help?

instead of eating 3 large meals a day, eat 5 smaller meals. Make sure to eat healthy, such as salads, lean chicken, fish, etc; if you're trying to lose weight, stay away from pork and beef. Futhermore, stay away from hydrogenated and saturated fats; oils such as olive oil are ok, as they contain poly and mono unsaturated fat.
Make sure you do a lot of cardio also. Cardio for about 30 mintues a day, at LEAST 3 times a week.

Trainers and nutrionists say you CANNOT lose weight AND tone muscles at the same time.
You'll have to lose weight first ( cardiofitness, less and less carbohydrates ), then set a new diet according to your doc and finally workout and tone up.

Don't push him too hard at first. 2 miles is a challenge for him .. so do 2 miles. When he's running 2 miles fairly well, go to 2 1/2 .. then 3, etc.

As for his diet, Pogue gave good advice. 4-5 smaller meals and 3-4 quarts of water everyday. They key is to burn more calories during work-out than you take in during meal time.

Have him do 20 mins in the weight room .. work his upper body, weights - bicep curls, push ups/ bench press, tricep extensions etc for 10 mins .. and his lower body, squats, curls, leg extensions etc for 10 mins. So, say he bench presses 200lbs for 1:00min and his arms are tired .. have him do situps/crunches for 2:00 mins .. then do some squats - then back to upper body while the lower body rests. Make sure it's continuous, whatever time you set, don't stop the workout until time is up. It is called a circuit workout, no matter what he's working, he's keeping his cardo going and giving his upper/lower body a rest by alternating exercises. Two birds with one stone.

But, as has been said - his diet is important. Healthy foods, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish and other lean meats in small portions.

As far as the cardio goes, what I've always found to be a good method is to hit times instead of distances at first. Meaning head out on a run for 15 minutes then turn around, pretty quickly you'll find yourself getting much farther in those 15 minutes than when you first started, and when that 30 minute workout stops making you bust yourself, start extending it.

I really don't have anything to add as far as weight loss is concerned, the only time I've ever had to drop weight was in wrestling, and all of those methods are probably about as bad for you as being overweight is.

Yeah 1217's right they call it Yo- yo effect :you need to slowly adapt your methabolism's rythm of burning calories and utilizing resources in a more proficient way.

ahh i see.....so i should help him lose weight first, THEN help him with muscle development? and i'll try the 4 smaller meals per day thing. thanks all.

RnderSafe said:
He can lose weight and build strength at the same time.

He can't. Better, he can but he shouldn't. Results, if ever achieved, would be shortlasting and the entire organism. In order to avoid Yo yo effect, he'd better lose weight first, and work on muscles only afterwards. Or else he would just gain weight back in 2 weeks.

ItalianGuy4US said:
He can't. Better, he can but he shouldn't. Results, if ever achieved, would be shortlasting and the entire organism. In order to avoid Yo yo effect, he'd better lose weight first, and work on muscles only afterwards. Or else he would just gain weight back in 2 weeks.

He can. I told him how in my post. You may disagree all you like, many do. It works, I have my butterballs do it and it is healthy. Enough said.

Well then I guess you should give RnderSafe a try: in my opinion though, that works only for people still in their teens. The 20 y/o guy could do it, but hey dont pressure me dude ! :(

RnderSafe said:
Don't push him too hard at first. 2 miles is a challenge for him .. so do 2 miles. When he's running 2 miles fairly well, go to 2 1/2 .. then 3, etc.

As for his diet, Pogue gave good advice. 4-5 smaller meals and 3-4 quarts of water everyday. They key is to burn more calories during work-out than you take in during meal time.

Have him do 20 mins in the weight room .. work his upper body, weights - bicep curls, push ups/ bench press, tricep extensions etc for 10 mins .. and his lower body, squats, curls, leg extensions etc for 10 mins. So, say he bench presses 200lbs for 1:00min and his arms are tired .. have him do situps/crunches for 2:00 mins .. then do some squats - then back to upper body while the lower body rests. Make sure it's continuous, whatever time you set, don't stop the workout until time is up. It is called a circuit workout, no matter what he's working, he's keeping his cardo going and giving his upper/lower body a rest by alternating exercises. Two birds with one stone.

But, as has been said - his diet is important. Healthy foods, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish and other lean meats in small portions.
I saw that one in a book. It was the Highest Rated. there were a few others but this was the best. the book was 'Getting Fit, The Real Way'. U can buy it from Chapeters Book Store. It also Reccomended Mountain Biking and Swimming.

Back