Did WWII REALLY matter?

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
It sure did. I was sitting in civics class Friday, minding my own business, telling the joke about the Navy SEAL and the atheist professor, when, (ironic) my teacher, also a relative, starts talking about how four of his uncles were in WWII. So I finish the joke and pay rapt attenion. Well, lo and behold, some ***hole in the back of the room raises his hand and says,

"World War Two really wasn't our problem. Why the hell would we have gone there in the first place? We didn't accomplish anything and the war didn't serve any purpose."

Me, being the support-our-troops fanatic that I am, am seriously offended by this, as is the teacher. I swear the man almost broke down in tears. So, I stood up and said what equated to, "alright, moron, how would you like to live in a country where you can be pulled off the street and summarily executed? If you want to live under a repressive regime, I'll pay for your one way plane ticket to Iran, Bolivia, Cuba, or any Third world country of your choice- take your pick and close your mouth."

Did I handle this right?

The next thing I said was,

"Hey, Gautreaux (guy I was telling the joke to), get that roll of duct tape back out, We're going out to the bay and keelhauling this sonofab*tch."

you handled that great. i wouldnt spazzed on the guy. i cant stand people like. they are so d*mn ignorant. ti sickens me. i know that im glad glad we arent speaking Japanese and the Brits arent speaking German.

y'know, when as a sixteen year old kid see crooked politicians, crime in the streets, and every manner of sphincter reaming in our society, I am glad that I am a well informed and cognizant human being that recognizes and stands up for the men who died so I could be in the class with that prick in the first place. I'd love to try to make a difference, but I'm not politically motivated and all I can do is write about it and try to make people aware of the bull that goes on around here.

I have no fear of an indifferent society, only that of a good man whose fault is indifference.

Yes. cause anyone that voices an opinion in a place of learning deserves to be shouted down.

fyi I think your right in your opinion and hes a dumbass, but you shouldnt shout people down regardless of how stupid they are.

deerslayer said:
It sure did. I was sitting in civics class Friday, minding my own business, telling the joke about the Navy SEAL and the atheist professor, when, (ironic) my teacher, also a relative, starts talking about how four of his uncles were in WWII. So I finish the joke and pay rapt attenion. Well, lo and behold, some ***hole in the back of the room raises his hand and says,

"World War Two really wasn't our problem. Why the hell would we have gone there in the first place? We didn't accomplish anything and the war didn't serve any purpose."

Me, being the support-our-troops fanatic that I am, am seriously offended by this, as is the teacher. I swear the man almost broke down in tears. So, I stood up and said what equated to, "alright, moron, how would you like to live in a country where you can be pulled off the street and summarily executed? If you want to live under a repressive regime, I'll pay for your one way plane ticket to Iran, Bolivia, Cuba, or any Third world country of your choice- take your pick and close your mouth."

Did I handle this right?

Absolutely!

Rabs said:
Yes. cause anyone that voices an opinion in a place of learning deserves to be shouted down.

fyi I think your right in your opinion and hes a dumbass, but you shouldnt shout people down regardless of how stupid they are.
no, it's just... as George Jones put it...

"When you're runnin' down our countrymen , you're walkin' on the fightin' side of me." I was ready to form the lynch mob and supply the horse.

Have whatever opinion you like, and by all means voice it- as long as it is appropriate in its context. I firmly believe in the first amendment, Rabs.

First off, good job deerslayer...I woulda just gone off...but i think your way was better...No one deserves to be shot down I think is what your saying Rabs.Seriously though, anyone who says a war to stop men from killing tens of millions of people did matter...IMO...And if you say it didnt matter, thats just too stupid of an opinion for me not to kill...Sorry but when the First Amendment says free speech, it means intelectual free speech...

And if you say it didnt matter, thats just too stupid of an opinion for me not to kill..

By all means debate, but dont shoot up and call someone a moron. I debate lots in my history and civics class but you can do respectfully.

Ok, I added in the word "moron", but everything else (yes, the keelhauling comment included) was straight from this horses's mouth. Generally when I speak in civics class, it's usually profound words of wisdom on everything from warfare to politics to investing- and teh general reaction is "what Akmed said."

the teacher left the classroom, and he's usually a really rowdy guy. I've never seen the man so subdued in his life.

Last edited:
I would've found his ignorance humorous, not offensive.

If he doesn't know why World War II was important, he's bound to fail the test.

major liability said:

thats true...im sure i would have gotten a chuckle outta it...lol

major liability said:

Agree. It is very difficut to be offended by outright ignorance and stubborn stupidity.

no, the fact of the matter was a. this was an honors class. b. He is set up to be valedictorian (damn that algebra class for me). c. he should know better than to insult veterans.

Back