Did Jessica Lynch desearve the Bronze Star? - Page 9

View Poll Results :Did Jessica Lynch desearve the Bronze Star?
Yes 2 4.76%
No 40 95.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

--

May 3rd, 2004  
c/Commander

I don't really think that she deserved it...yes, I know the DoD needed a female hero, and yes, I know she was captured, but let's face it...she relaxed in a hospital bed for a few days until they sent in special forces.

Name one Vietnam POW that recieved a Bronze Star just for being a POW.

EDIT: Oops, spelled Vietnam wrong.
May 3rd, 2004  
Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDR_SurfWar
Name one Vietname POW that recieved a Bronze Star just for being a POW.
Well put.
May 3rd, 2004  
Mark Conley

hmmm

well i know of quite a few air force officers that were awarded the medal of honor..for being POWs in viet nam. Lance Sijan got his for his extreme resistance to the enemy..right up to his death. George Day. Oh There was this Navy Admiral by the Name of Stockdale i believe...all POWs..all awarded the M.O.H. its not a bronze star...but what the hey.

--
May 4th, 2004  
Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Conley
hmmm

well i know of quite a few air force officers that were awarded the medal of honor..for being POWs in viet nam. Lance Sijan got his for his extreme resistance to the enemy..right up to his death. George Day. Oh There was this Navy Admiral by the Name of Stockdale i believe...all POWs..all awarded the M.O.H. its not a bronze star...but what the hey.

Hehe, well they are Air Force and we all know how the Air Force hands out medals like candy especially to officers. [/air force joke]
May 4th, 2004  
tough_girl

wow its not to not be yelled at any more. I was scared that I was pissing alot of people off. I mean yea they have their opinions on this, and I may only be a 17 year old and I don't know every thing, atleast I can admit that. but geesh was I feeling hated... thanks for the support razor. I mean I think I hada valid argument.... I think?
May 4th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Hehe, well they are Air Force and we all know how the Air Force hands out medals like candy especially to officers.
I realize you did not mean anything by this, but you have not reached a position from which you can criticize or make light of the decorations earned by anyone, let alone an entire branch. Feel free to make your opinions/positions known, but especially on issues such as this, be sure that you do so in a respectful manner.
May 4th, 2004  
Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
I realize you did not mean anything by this, but you have not reached a position from which you can criticize or make light of the decorations earned by anyone, let alone an entire branch. Feel free to make your opinions/positions known, but especially on issues such as this, be sure that you do so in a respectful manner.
I thought I did that as respectful as I could. Sorry if it upset you.
May 4th, 2004  
tough_girl

I agree. I got onto my platoon for putting down other branches. I basecly told them that the day they joined and became part of our nations defense was the day that they could rightfuly make remarks upon other services. Especialy since my dad is leaving for South Korea for a year. that shows that no matter what branch there are sacrifices. And with the way things are going in Korea... I would much rather my dad go to Iraq, then in Korea were that crazy dictatore has nuclear bombs just waiting for a reason to push the button. sorry off topic.... But I know the sacrifice. I mean he's going to be gone my whole senior year. Thats big. SO I cant back you up on that razor, sorry!
May 4th, 2004  
Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tough_girl
I agree....
You have a good point, I agree that we should not put down other branches. But I do not see any thing wrong with a joke here and there. It keeps people happy. (well most of the time...)
May 4th, 2004  
Redneck

It's just an issue of time and place and appropriateness. Jokes about men who have died are generally not considered socially acceptable.

I have no problems with joking (got myself the nickname "Smiley" just about everywhere I've ever been).