Did Jessica Lynch desearve the Bronze Star?

Did Jessica Lynch desearve the Bronze Star?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
RnderSafe, about the CIB, I was just killing time reading the September-October 2003 issue of Armor magazine and apparently there's talk about bringing back the CAB (Combat Armor Badge).

I apologize for the off-topic post.

Jtf2 said:
Bronze Star, Purple Heart and Prisoner of War medals

wow...a little much no?

Ok, I have become convinced that I was on the wrong side of this debate at the beginning thanks to some input from men who actually knew what they were talking about, but Jtf2, which of those medals exactly would you suggest be taken away from her? Which one did she not earn? It has been proven to my satisfaction that this Soldier truly did earn the Bronze Star, and there is no ground to stand on whatsoever to say that she did not earn the Purple Heart (given for wounds received in combat) or the Prisoner of War Medal (unless I am horribly mistaken, she was an Iraqi POW for some time).
I hate to sound like a hypocrite here considering my original position, but, aside from her undoubtably earning each of those medals, it is not the place of any one of us to try to take away from her sacrifice by defaming her name or belittling those medals.

I was poiting out the bronze star... she deserved the purple heart and the POW...

But i mean...she was practicly in a hotel and she didnt even fire a round...she drop on her knees and prayed ...

The justification for her Bronze Star is in the preceding posts, read through the posts in this thread and, if you still have a problem with it, post again naming your other arguments.

RnderSafe said:
The bronze star fits her circumstance. Many people do different things to get them, some get shot ... some wreck, some fight tooth and nail. You won't see an 11B get a bronze (most times) as quickly as a support MOS during such an event ... simply because the 11B is expected to preform to higher standards.

I think this quote from RnderSafe explains pretty good why she deserved the medal..

Redleg said:
RnderSafe said:
The bronze star fits her circumstance. Many people do different things to get them, some get shot ... some wreck, some fight tooth and nail. You won't see an 11B get a bronze (most times) as quickly as a support MOS during such an event ... simply because the 11B is expected to preform to higher standards.

I think this quote from RnderSafe explains pretty good why she deserved the medal..

Speaking once again as an 11B with Bronze Stars I agree with Rndr too but maybe for slightly different reasons. I'm not sure about the different standards. I would hope that a helicopter mechanic would be expected to be as good a mechanic as I was expected to be at my job as an infantryman. It's just that our jobs usually put us in different proximity to the enemy. When that mechanic is forced to confront the enemy and he performs well and survives then it may well be considered above and beyond his normal duties. Whenever I confronted the enemy, it was just my job. If that's what Rndr meant, I agree.
Jessica Lynch was obviously no 11B and as has been stated before, if her superiors saw fit to award her a Bronze Star, in my eyes she deserved it for whatever she did. I'd sure hate to be the guy that told me that I don't deserve mine.

1st

I dn't under stand why she is so special. Other were captured others were wounded. They all fought. They all deserve a medal for fighting being held and and comin home. I would not give one, id give all pow's a medal.

The bronze star is for above and beyond the call of duty. All she did was live and be rescued. and now they have that contracter who was kidnapped and is now comeing home to a "heros" welcome. I dont think hes a hero. He was getting payed mad money.

tough_girl said:
The bronze star is for above and beyond the call of duty. All she did was live and be rescued. and now they have that contracter who was kidnapped and is now comeing home to a "heros" welcome. I dont think hes a hero. He was getting payed mad money. No need to call an Ass a Horse just cause you can ride it. get my meaning.
I suggest you show a little more respect when speaking of people that have gone through such events.

It would also be a good idea to learn why the bronze star is awarded before commenting on YOUR opinion of why it is awarded.

I hold respect for all people. but when events such as this occur were the gov. trys to use events to make the public happy it tends to tick me off a little. Sorry to offend you. The analogie might not have been the best to use.

Escaping from the enemy isn't above and beyond the call of duty? A soldier escaping returns to fight and aid his country at high personal risk. Thats above and beyond the call of duty (the contractor is a civilian though right? doesn't that void that argument anyway?)

In my eyes, escaping from the enemy is bravery. My 2 cents.

she didn't escape. They found her. sorry guys but I think this got so much public attention because shes a girl ( a pritty one) and america wants to see that. why didnt every body make a big deal about the other P.O.W.s you dont see any one making movies about them. Or telling every one what medals they got. If your going to make a big deal out of one, them make and even bigger deal of them all. I dont even know the names of the others. Or what medals they got. All know is her story because it was smeard all over in the public eye. And I respect our soilders. This isnt against her as a person, a woman, or a member of our nations worriers, its against the fact that she was thrown out into the open and make a huge deal for reasons that werent exactly heroic. And I think shes amazingly brave for what she went through. But thats just hiw I feel.

this is one of the biggest bullshit stories of our generation. she gave her weapon to someone else cause she didnt want to fire it, got knocked out,and rescued. i believe that the brass felt they needed some positive media to come out of a pure military BUMBLE. command screwed up and got eleven people needlessly killed, so they decided to pull a hero out of it to smooth things over.

I'm with tough_girl on this, with respect to Jessica Lynch I do not feel she did any thing worthy of a Bronze Star. The history of the Bronze Star and reasons for earning one can be seen here: The Bronze Star Medal was established by Executive Order 9419, 4 February 1944 (superseded by Executive Order 11046, 24 August 1962).

The Bronze Star Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the Army of the United States after 6 December 1941, distinguished himself or herself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, in connection with military operations against an armed enemy; or while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

Awards may be made for acts of heroism, performed under circumstances described above, which are of lesser degree than required for the award of the Silver Star.

Now the Bronze Star is not all that hard to get compared to other medals but I do not see that Lynch ddi any thing to "distinguish herself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service." should she get some medals? Yes, absolutely. Should she get a Bronze Star? Heck no.

rpgincoming said:
this is one of the biggest bullshit stories of our generation. she gave her weapon to someone else cause she didnt want to fire it, got knocked out,and rescued. i believe that the brass felt they needed some positive media to come out of a pure military BUMBLE. command screwed up and got eleven people needlessly killed, so they decided to pull a hero out of it to smooth things over.

Did you read all the posts in this thread, or just the first one? I think it's very well laid out in the past couple pages why she deserved her medal.

And watch the language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back